[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok, but shouldn't it affect the colors precieved on the surface, making it look warmer ...

Yes, and the colors are warmer, just not as exaggerated as what you usually see in exoplanet art.

If I showed a side-by-side comparison of how the surface looks with a white light source and how it looks with a slightly warm light source, you'd be able to see the difference.

Edited by AndrewDraws

8 minutes ago, AndrewDraws said:

Yes, and the colors are warmer, just not as exaggerated as what you usually see in exoplanet art.

If I showed a side-by-side comparison of how the surface looks with a white light source and how it looks with a slightly warm light source, you'd be able to see the difference.

Damn I realize I have been misinformed again by popular science art

Edited by FreeThinker

38 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes it is. Btw, could you use more pictures of Proxima Centauri b? I need it for the Proxima Centauri  challange.

Right now, I only have this screenshot of Proxima Centauri b on me

3H1Zsn1.png

Edited by AndrewDraws

• 2 weeks later...

@AndrewDraws - I just had the chance yesterday of downloading & installing your mod. I had a quick go at it via the Tracking Station and wondered through the different star systems for a long while, checking each Star and Planet and reading about their physical properties and descriptions. I want to thank you for this work, as I have been longing for something like this for so long. I am very grateful to you!! I have always dreamt of exploring (and colonizing?) the Real Solar System using Realism Overhaul, and then taking it a step further into the Stars with something somewhat realistic (call it Hard Science Fiction?) as KSP Interstellar Extended. I now have what I need (the parts' pack and the Planets pack) and I think this will be the definitive KSP configuration for me, I think I have finally constructed a KSP install to play the game as I always wanted to (I have been trying for the past 5+ years just so you know:)), so Thank You for it!!!!

I think this will probably be solved by the update you just released, but I noticed for a few systems that the Star's actual position and its Flare were separated (separation distance roughly 5-10 Star's diameter). I guess this is due to having a more updated RSS version than the one you intended for REX to work with - I assume this is now fixed as you just released a new updated version of the mod.

One final question: what do you think it would happen if I throw Principia on top of this (of course I can and will try for myself)? It would be absolutely awesome if these Star Systems were constructed in a realistic fashion such that n-body gravitation could be applied to them.

Anyhow, thanks again; you (among others) made me pick up KSP again and helped me embark onto the greatest adventure of all: the conquest of the Stars!

EDIT: also, as a review, I mustpoint out the planets look absolutely gorgeous. Texturing, clouds, the whole thing - it is impressive and beautiful to look at. I might have found a very small and unimportant 'glitch' in the tidally locked lava planets (can't recall star system or planet names right now) and KS3P, but the glitch does not look bad at all (at least from Map View) and it's not even close to being game breaking. Again, congratulations and thanks again - everything looks beautiful and great!

Edited by hypervelocity
louzy writing

13 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

I think this will probably be solved by the update you just released, but I noticed for a few systems that the Star's actual position and its Flare were separated (separation distance roughly 5-10 Star's diameter). I guess this is due to having a more updated RSS version than the one you intended for REX to work with - I assume this is now fixed as you just released a new updated version of the mod.

One final question: what do you think it would happen if I throw Principia on top of this (of course I can and will try for myself)? It would be absolutely awesome if these Star Systems were constructed in a realistic fashion such that n-body gravitation could be applied to them.

That issue with the flares is known and (to my knowledge) cannot be fixed. However, it's a bug that only appears in the tracking station. If you send a probe over to the star and then go into the map view, the flares should be positioned properly.

As for principia, unfortunately principia does not work with interstellar distances. Don't misunderstand, I would totally want principia to work with REX as well, but it isn't possible at the moment, and likely won't ever be possible.

Andrew! Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Got it on the flare front, nothing to worry about if it's only Map View!

Re Principia - that's sad - it'd be awesome to have RSS + REX and Principia, but hey, enough that we've got your current work to enjoy!!!

Thanks again, I will be playing with your mod *a lot* in the upcoming month of time off from work I'll be starting in 2 weeks! 

12 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

Andrew! Thanks for replying, I appreciate it!

Got it on the flare front, nothing to worry about if it's only Map View!

Re Principia - that's sad - it'd be awesome to have RSS + REX and Principia, but hey, enough that we've got your current work to enjoy!!!

Thanks again, I will be playing with your mod *a lot* in the upcoming month of time off from work I'll be starting in 2 weeks! 

I know it really would be nice if Principia could work with REX! If anything, the axial tilt feature would be sooo helpful. I'm happy that you're excited to try out REX! I've put a lot of time into it.

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDraws

All planets appear to have an atmospheres and there are no moons. Plan on adding any moons?

All of the planets have an atmosphere because they are all earth-sized or super Earth's. None of the planets I've added so far would make sense to not have any atmosphere. 

As for exomoons, this has been addressed before. I do not plan on adding exomoons, as REX only adds confirmed celestial objects, which means exomoons are out of the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

i found a two bug of your mod:

uc?id=1aCtaoy_0yt64GgiEnyzYRmMPMJ6R3yfz

i can see grid like dots in entire screen. 

uc?id=1jtgJ3xJbS0XecCfJCUgOsLcYlwUykwAL

and as you can see, scatter sunflare position is strange. i think this problem is related to star's distance from sun.

btw thanks for this great mod! please make it work with principia it would be better!

On 1/15/2020 at 2:28 AM, VaNnadin said:

as you can see, scatter sunflare position is strange. i think this problem is related to star's distance from sun.

I had the same problem with the sunflares. Apparently it's only a problem in tracking station and map mode, if you travel to the actual star, the sunflares should be fixed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.