[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

15 hours ago, TheKSPlayer said:

Hi, I've just wanted to ask something, I just downloaded the mod and in the readme.txt dependencies it says it requires Community Terrain Texture Pack but the last update for it was for 1.5.1, I'm playing 1.7.3, would it still work or is there some sort of alpha version for it?

Hey, this is an error on my part. Community Terrain Texture Pack is no longer a dependency. I thought I had removed every mention of CTTP being a dependency but I guess that slipped through the cracks. My bad!

In other news, here's a nice screenshot of the surface of Tau Ceti g

xtTLOwd.png

11 hours ago, zrh said:

Why when click Alpha Centauri in the tracking station or in the map,it doesn't have any reaction?I I can only enter the Proxima Centauri. 

This is due to Alpha Centauri actually being a barycenter. If you click on Proxima Centauri and then hit tab a few times, that should allow you to select Alpha Centauri. I need to see if it's possible to make barycenters selectable in the map view.

2 hours ago, zrh said:

Why after I install the REXVE, from the map, some stars do not coincide with its flare, and some are even far away?

I've addressed this so many times before. Use the search feature on this thread and you'll find your answer.

Why did you chose to make tau ceti f a gas giant instead of an ice world?

Also why the rock on teegarden b looks blue?

If I learn planet moding in the future, I might remade your mod but with more habitable planets and maybe add some fictional planets and moons!(It's sort of a KSS remade that have been in my mind for a long time):cool:

Very detailed and beautiful planets, surprised how detailed the terrain is for real scale planets(and a bit bumpy for weak landing gears). The Trappist-1 system is especially interesting with their various surface and atmospheric conditions. The system is also surprisingly stock part friendly(except the distance), 4 out of 7 planets can be orbited by stock part ssto (with aero tricks though)

Edited by moar ssto

9 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Why did you chose to make tau ceti f a gas giant instead of an ice world?

Also why the rock on teegarden b looks blue?

If I learn planet moding in the future, I might remade your mod but with more habitable planets and maybe add some fictional planets and moons!(It's sort of a KSS remade that have been in my mind for a long time):cool:

Tau Ceti f is not a gas giant. It is a mini-neptune/ice giant. This is possible given the range of possible masses for Tau Ceti f.

The rock on Teegarden b is not blue. It's gray. The monitor you are using must not be displaying colors accurately.

Considering I recently changed the license to be All Rights Reserved, that third thing you mentioned is unfortunately impossible.

7 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Tau Ceti f is not a gas giant. It is a mini-neptune/ice giant. This is possible given the range of possible masses for Tau Ceti f.

Well, when I say "gas giant", I mean planets that don't have a solid surface .

The rock on Teegarden b is not blue. It's gray. The monitor you are using must not be displaying colors accurately.

7vTFdl8.png

That looks blue to me, or is that an old version?

Considering I recently changed the license to be All Rights Reserved, that third thing you mentioned is unfortunately impossible.

Even if I make my own planets and use my own names, then say their kerbalized version (analogs) of real exoplanets?

Isn't Trappist-1 supposed to be located very close to the ecliptic plane close to one of the equinoxes? In the game with RSS, Trappist-1 is in a quite inconvenient position far away from the ecliptic. Also I discovered an overheating bug during timewarp over Trappist-1b that looks very similar to the overheating bug around the hot neptune orbiting the furthest star in the Constellations mod.

Edited by moar ssto

5 hours ago, moar ssto said:

Isn't Trappist-1 supposed to be located very close to the ecliptic plane close to one of the equinoxes? In the game with RSS, Trappist-1 is in a quite inconvenient position far away from the ecliptic. Also I discovered an overheating bug during timewarp over Trappist-1b that looks very similar to the overheating bug around the hot neptune orbiting the furthest star in the Constellations mod.

Thanks for pointing that first thing out. It turns out I had unintentionally shifted every star's right ascension by 90 degrees, meaning their relative positions to each other are correct but their positions relative to the earth are incorrect. All I need to do is subtract 90 degrees from each star's longitude of the ascending node and that should fix it.

That second piece is not a bug. TRAPPIST-1b is really just that hot.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, Space Nerd said:

Well, when I say "gas giant", I mean planets that don't have a solid surface .

7vTFdl8.png

That looks blue to me, or is that an old version?

Even if I make my own planets and use my own names, then say their kerbalized version (analogs) of real exoplanets?

It's called rayleigh scattering using the mod scatterer. Looks blue for the same reason that Earth looks blue from space. The ground itself is not blue.

You can make your own planets and give them your own names, I'm just saying you can't use any files from REX.

8 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Thanks for pointing that first thing out. It turns out I had unintentionally shifted every star's right ascension by 90 degrees, meaning their relative positions to each other are correct but their positions relative to the earth are incorrect. All I need to do is subtract 90 degrees from each star's longitude of the ascending node and that should fix it.

That second piece is not a bug. TRAPPIST-1b is really just that hot.

It's called rayleigh scattering using the mod scatterer. Looks blue for the same reason that Earth looks blue from space. The ground itself is not blue.

You can make your own planets and give them your own names, I'm just saying you can't use any files from REX.

Thank you very much for answering these questions. For the case of Trappist-1b, I do not have problem when at x1 speed, even with a kerbal on external command seat, but as soon as I go into time warp,  overheating kicks in. By the way, this doesn't happen even if I am at 1/4 of the distance of Trappist-1 b from Trappist 1, so there is clearly something strange with the planet. (I am outside of atmosphere, so the main source of heating should be the star.) By the way, I am planning on a mission that will involve heaps of gravity assist off of b, so maybe I need to exit warp every time I flyby?

Edited by moar ssto

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.