[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

53 minutes ago, merlin2345 said:

To my understanding, RSSVE works with this on 1.8.1 even with RSSVE only being for 1.7.3? Is RSSVE needed in conjunction with REXVE?

If you are using RSS, you will need RSSVE in order for the visuals in REX to work

On 5/1/2020 at 7:44 PM, Orlico said:

Is sigma dimensions compatible? I want to try and do 3.2x scale for both REX and stock and have SVE as well.

Hey, given how REX handles compatibility with both RSS and the stock system, I'd expect there to be some strange interactions with sigma dimensions and I don't think they'd be compatible. I know how I can fix this, so thank you for reminding me about this so I can write it down on my list of things I want to do lol.

Edited by AndrewDraws

Speaking of things I want to do with REX, here's a list of the major things I currently want to implement for the next update:

• CRP support

• KSRSS Compatibility

• Inner and Outer Oort Clouds for all systems

• Trees on TRAPPIST-1e, and other signs of life (previous civilizations?)

Also, here's TRAPPIST-1e but with purple foliage!

R1Zdsvn.png

Edited by AndrewDraws

5 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Hey, given how REX handles compatibility with both RSS and the stock system, I'd expect there to be some strange interactions with sigma dimensions and I don't think they'd be compatible. I know how I can fix this, so thank you for reminding me about this so I can write it down on my list of things I want to do lol.

I think it should be fine, provided that all your modifications are

1) consistent with the scale of the system

2) applied before :FOR[SigDim]

basically: if by the time Sigma Dimensions starts modifying the system your planets are already how you expect them to be, then SD should be able to rescale them along with the rest of the system with no issue.

keep in mind that SD works as a multiplier on whatever the "original" size is, which means that Rescale = 10 in stock will generate a kerbin of radius 6,000,000 meters while Rescale = 10 in RSS will generate an Earth of radius ~60,000,000

EDIT:

I see most of your patches use :FINAL, that will usually (not always) result in bad things in conjunction with SD

Edited by Sigma88

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

see most of your patches use :FINAL, that will usually (not always) result in bad things in conjunction with SD

This is what I was referring to, as well as the fact that in the actual planet configs are in real scale, and then they are patched to work with stock, which I'm aware is a very backwards way of doing things.

1 hour ago, AndrewDraws said:

This is what I was referring to, as well as the fact that in the actual planet configs are in real scale, and then they are patched to work with stock, which I'm aware is a very backwards way of doing things.

as I said, that would be fine with SD if you were using something other than :final

I didn't look into the patches too much but I don't think you actually need final.

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

as I said, that would be fine with SD if you were using something other than :final

I didn't look into the patches too much but I don't think you actually need final.

Question: if a patch scales a planet by let's say 10x, and then a patch applied after this patch scales the same planet by 5x is the net scaling 50x or just 5x?

13 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

R1Zdsvn.png

Hey, I recently made a drawing of that planet with purple plants too!

(Although my version has quite a bit more water, and the plants' color range from red to indigo which depends on the amount of star light in the habitat of the plant.)

Also can you reply to my thread about the reason why you choose purple for the plant color?

I would really like to know that, thanks!

20 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Question: if a patch scales a planet by let's say 10x, and then a patch applied after this patch scales the same planet by 5x is the net scaling 50x or just 5x?

it depends on how the patch is written

if the patch overwrites the value (like most do) then the last patch to be applied is the one that will prevail

On 5/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, Sigma88 said:

it depends on how the patch is written

if the patch overwrites the value (like most do) then the last patch to be applied is the one that will prevail

I'm saying if you have one patch written like

@radius *= 10

And other applied afterwards written like

@radius *= 5

Is the net scaling 50x or 5x?

On 5/5/2020 at 11:40 AM, Space Nerd said:

Also can you reply to my thread about the reason why you choose purple for the plant color?

I would really like to know that, thanks!

Hey! I chose a dark purple color since plants on planets orbiting red dwarfs would probably be darker, and because it's theorized that photosynthesizing plants on Earth were initially purple, so I thought it'd be cool to have dark purple plants lol

2 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

I'm saying if you have one patch written like

@radius *= 10

And other applied afterwards written like

@radius *= 5

Is the net scaling 50x or 5x?

if you multiply by 10 and then by 5 the final result will be 50x

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

if you multiply by 10 and then by 5 the final result will be 50x

I was just wondering because I didn't know whether or not having more than 1 multiplier would result in them being multiplied together.

1 hour ago, AndrewDraws said:

I was just wondering because I didn't know whether or not having more than 1 multiplier would result in them being multiplied together.

yes, that's that's how it works

if the initial value is 1, you multiply by 10 you get 10

then you multiply by 5 you get 10*5 = 50, the second multiplication has no way of knowing the initial value was 1 rather than 10, it just takes the value and applies the multiplication to it

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

yes, that's that's how it works

if the initial value is 1, you multiply by 10 you get 10

then you multiply by 5 you get 10*5 = 50, the second multiplication has no way of knowing the initial value was 1 rather than 10, it just takes the value and applies the multiplication to it

Perfect, thanks

Hey, I'm just curious if this is working on 1.9? I did give it a shot installing it however I didn't see any features of the mod. I figure this is due to Kopernicus not being updated to 1.9? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tost said:

Hey, I'm just curious if this is working on 1.9? I did give it a shot installing it however I didn't see any features of the mod. I figure this is due to Kopernicus not being updated to 1.9? Thanks!

Yep that's why. Don't use versions of kopernicus that are not compatible with the latest version of ksp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, good moder!
I installed your mod for my RSS. The planetpack is magnificent, it will give a distant target to my FarFuture ships, everything is just awesome, but ... KSP would not be KSP if there was no desire to change something by hand. Not as a modder - just for fun.
I tried to transfer one of your planets to the solar orbit - Proxima C - so that it depicted Planet-9 in my solar system. Or Nibiru .... Perhaps))))
Moved easily, orbit, inclination....
But there was one problem: for some reason, the sun illuminates this planet from the wrong side.
Maybe I did something wrong? Perhaps something is not configured?
Perhaps, for my part, it would not be too arrogant to ask for advice on correcting this problem?

I may have a stupid question but : how can I plot a journey to one of these stars with the patched conic disappearing when the Apoapsis is getting too big ? (btw I use your previous mods too with Valentine as a "first try this" for my campaign run, don't know if that influence the patched conic or not). I'm already at the maximum allowed setting by the game. And I'm not using real solar system ^^

And thanks for your amazing work :-D

On 5/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, Cochies said:

I tried to transfer one of your planets to the solar orbit - Proxima C - so that it depicted Planet-9 in my solar system. Or Nibiru .... Perhaps))))
Moved easily, orbit, inclination....
But there was one problem: for some reason, the sun illuminates this planet from the wrong side.

@Cochies Your question sounds like it might better fit in a Scatterer thread...however, assuming you are making such changes only for your own personal use & assuming you made a renamed duplicate to make this Planet 9(X) in the image below, I also happen to find interesting your idea.  Thus, my one suggestion for you is that perhaps you did not tell Scatterer that the Sun is now the new parent star & not "mainSunCelestialBody = ProximaCentauri" for your renamed "Proxima C clone"...assuming you already duplicated & rename (but forgot to reparent) all the the various Scatterer configs "celestialBodyName = ProximaCentauric" --> "celestialBodyName = Planet9" in the RealExoplanets/Visuals folder...

ac91vsy.png
On 5/4/2020 at 10:31 PM, AndrewDraws said:
  • Inner and Outer Oort Clouds for all systems

• Trees on TRAPPIST-1e, and other signs of life (previous civilizations?)

very much looking forward to exploring any or all of these!

14 hours ago, AloE said:

@Cochies Your question sounds like it might better fit in a Scatterer thread...however, assuming you are making such changes only for your own personal use & assuming you made a renamed duplicate to make this Planet 9(X) in the image below, I also happen to find interesting your idea.  Thus, my one suggestion for you is that perhaps you did not tell Scatterer that the Sun is now the new parent star & not "mainSunCelestialBody = ProximaCentauri" for your renamed "Proxima C clone"...assuming you already duplicated & rename (but forgot to reparent) all the the various Scatterer configs "celestialBodyName = ProximaCentauric" --> "celestialBodyName = Planet9" in the RealExoplanets/Visuals folder...

Thank you so much for the advice!
This really solved the lighting problem.
Unfortunately, I really do not know much about planetary configs and graphical improvements and my capabilities are far behind my desires.)
No matter how high the quality of some mods is, sometimes I want to change something (only for personal use, I respect copyrights and the work of the creator)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.