[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've looked everywhere for extrasolar mods that add other star systems and this seems to be the most up to date. Keep up the good work! The two biggest things on my wishlist are 1) kerbalism compatibility. Throw in some radiation belts. 2) more moons, but I understand if you want to keep speculation to a minimum.

// ============================================================================
// ProximaCentauri
RadiationBody
{
	name = ProximaCentauri
	radiation_model = heliopause
	radiation_pause = -0.01
	radiation_surface = 10
	solar_cycle = 145152000
}

RadiationBody:NEEDS[RealExoplanets]
{
	name = ProximaCentaurib
	radiation_model = ionosphere
	radiation_pause = -0.002
}

RadiationBody:NEEDS[RealExoplanets]
{
	name = ProximaCentauric
	radiation_model = giant
	radiation_inner = 47.5
	radiation_outer = 3.5
	radiation_pause = -0.007
}

// TauCeti
{
	name = TauCeti
	radiation_pause = -0.01
	radiation_surface = 10
	solar_cycle = 72576000
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TauCetig
	radiation_model = metallic
	radiation_inner = 1.0
	radiation_pause = -0.002
	geomagnetic_pole_lat = 1
	geomagnetic_pole_lon = 1
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TauCetih
	radiation_model = anomaly
	radiation_pause = -0.0085
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TauCetie
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TauCetif
	radiation_model = giant
	radiation_inner = 36.5
	radiation_outer = 3.5
	radiation_pause = -0.007
}

// Barnard

RadiationBody
{
	name = Barnard
	radiation_pause = -0.01
	radiation_surface = 10
	solar_cycle = 72576000
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = Barnardb
	radiation_model = anomaly
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

// Teegarden

RadiationBody
{
	name = Teegarden
	radiation_pause = -0.01
	radiation_surface = 20
	solar_cycle = 72576000
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = Teegardenb
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = Teegardenc
	radiation_model = metallic
	radiation_inner = 1.0
	radiation_pause = -0.002
	geomagnetic_pole_lat = 96
	geomagnetic_pole_lon = 5
}

// TRAPPIST1

RadiationBody
{
	name = TRAPPIST1
	radiation_pause = -0.01
	radiation_surface = 20
	solar_cycle = 72576000
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TRAPPIST1b
	radiation_pause = 0.1
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TRAPPIST1c
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TRAPPIST1d
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

RadiationBody
{
	name = TRAPPIST1e
	radiation_pause = -0.01
}

RadiationBody
{
  name = TRAPPIST1f
  radiation_model = irregular
  radiation_pause = 0.1
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[geigerCounter]]:NEEDS[RealExoplanets]:AFTER[KerbalismDefault]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// ProximaCentauri
		// =========================================================================
		ProximaCentauribLanded = 
		ProximaCentauribFlyingLow = 
		ProximaCentauribFlyingHigh = 
		ProximaCentauribInSpaceLow = 
		ProximaCentauribInSpaceHigh = 
		ProximaCentauricFlyingLow = 
		ProximaCentauricFlyingHigh = 
		ProximaCentauricInSpaceLow = 
		ProximaCentauricInSpaceHigh = 
		// TauCeti

TauCetigLanded =
		TauCetigFlyingLow = 
		TauCetigFlyingHigh = 
		TauCetigInSpaceLow = 
		TauCetigInSpaceHigh =
		TauCetihLanded =
		TauCetihFlyingLow = 
		TauCetihFlyingHigh = 
		TauCetihInSpaceLow = 
		TauCetihInSpaceHigh =
		TauCetieLanded =
		TauCetieFlyingLow = 
		TauCetieFlyingHigh = 
		TauCetieInSpaceLow = 
		TauCetieInSpaceHigh =
		TauCetifFlyingLow = 
		TauCetifFlyingHigh = 
		TauCetifInSpaceLow = 
		TauCetifInSpaceHigh =
		// Barnard
		BarnardbLanded = 
		BarnardbFlyingLow = 
		BarnardbFlyingHigh = 
		BarnardbInSpaceLow = 
		BarnardbInSpaceHigh = 
		// Teegarden
		TeegardenbLanded = 
		TeegardenbFlyingLow = 
		TeegardenbFlyingHigh = 
		TeegardenbInSpaceLow = 
		TeegardenbInSpaceHigh = 
		TeegardencLanded = 
		TeegardencFlyingLow = 
		TeegardencFlyingHigh = 
		TeegardencInSpaceLow = 
		TeegardencInSpaceHigh = 
		// TRAPPIST1
		TRAPPIST1bLanded = 
		TRAPPIST1bFlyingLow = 
		TRAPPIST1bFlyingHigh = 
		TRAPPIST1bInSpaceLow = 
		TRAPPIST1bInSpaceHigh = //something about the relativly high ionosphere
		TRAPPIST1cLanded = 
		TRAPPIST1cFlyingLow = 
		TRAPPIST1cFlyingHigh = 
		TRAPPIST1cInSpaceLow =
		TRAPPIST1cInSpaceHigh =
		TRAPPIST1dLanded = 
		TRAPPIST1dFlyingLow = 
		TRAPPIST1dFlyingHigh = 
		TRAPPIST1dInSpaceLow =
		TRAPPIST1dInSpaceHigh =
		TRAPPIST1eLanded = 
		TRAPPIST1eFlyingLow = 
		TRAPPIST1eFlyingHigh = 
		TRAPPIST1eInSpaceLow =
		TRAPPIST1eInSpaceHigh =
		TRAPPIST1fLanded = 
		TRAPPIST1fFlyingLow = 
		TRAPPIST1fFlyingHigh = 
		TRAPPIST1fInSpaceLow = 
		TRAPPIST1fInSpaceHigh = //something about the relativly high ionosphere

I made a Kerbalism config, and was wondering if you wanted anything particular for the sci descriptions @AndrewDraws?

Encountered a serious bug on trappist-1 d. There is an invisible surface couple hundred meters above the terrain that makes every part explode, even with no crash damage enabled. When approaching this surface, the altimeter flickered between 2 numbers, and when the smaller number hits 0, the craft explodes. Neither disabling VertexHeightNoise nor re-installing the mods in a new copy of the game solved the issue.

Also the suface looks very jagged with a lot of sharp ridglines. From my experience with some RSS bodies, these sharp ridges will make wheel physics freak out and will tear apart a craft taxiing through these rides even at low speeds and cheats enabled.

Edited by moar ssto

Time to address a bunch of comments here! I know I haven't been attentive to my KSP mods...

On 7/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Mossconfig said:

I made a Kerbalism config, and was wondering if you wanted anything particular for the sci descriptions @AndrewDraws?

Thank you very much for this! I was planning on adding Kerbalism compatibility, and you beat me to it!

On 7/9/2020 at 7:09 AM, Kepler452b said:

Is there a way to make this compatible with Principia?

Unfortunately, Principia doesn't like interstellar mods. I wish I could make REX compatible with Principia too! ;.;

On 7/11/2020 at 9:43 AM, moar ssto said:

Encountered a serious bug on trappist-1 d. There is an invisible surface couple hundred meters above the terrain that makes every part explode, even with no crash damage enabled. When approaching this surface, the altimeter flickered between 2 numbers, and when the smaller number hits 0, the craft explodes. Neither disabling VertexHeightNoise nor re-installing the mods in a new copy of the game solved the issue.

Also the suface looks very jagged with a lot of sharp ridglines. From my experience with some RSS bodies, these sharp ridges will make wheel physics freak out and will tear apart a craft taxiing through these rides even at low speeds and cheats enabled.

Can you show me a screenshot of what you seeing? I often see stuff like this when I use hyperedit.

10 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Time to address a bunch of comments here! I know I haven't been attentive to my KSP mods...

Thank you very much for this! I was planning on adding Kerbalism compatibility, and you beat me to it!

Unfortunately, Principia doesn't like interstellar mods. I wish I could make REX compatible with Principia too! ;.;

Can you show me a screenshot of what you seeing? I often see stuff like this when I use hyperedit.

This was the original state before any modifications.https://imgur.com/a/X7cP6Os. Many of the trappist planets have the problem shown in the second image, though not that in the first one. Hyperedit is not working for me, so I debugged into a low orbit and glided down. Also, the problems presist even after saving and loading midair.

I resolved the issues, kind of. I first swithed to another installment of ksp which made the terrain less jagged, but the explosion above terrain is still present, some patches of land are safe to land, but the wheel physics is completely broken(wheels clip into terrain and don't function, including not working suspension, steering and no rotation, essentially sliding with a lot of friction). Then I decreased the distance of Trappist-1 to the Sun by a factor of 1million(now between mars and jupiter), which fixed the wheel and explosion issue, though the terrain will still occasionally cause a plane taxiing to bounce into air.

I am using ksp 1.8.1 with REX 0.9.6

Edited by moar ssto

16 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

Oh... I will start a new game without Principia... I’ve struggled with kOS too when I use Principia:/

BTW, have you considered making planets which might be habitable like ur... me?:P

2 hours ago, Spot2345 said:

Will this be updated to 1.9.1 or 1.10 using Kopernicus continued
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/194936-191-kopernicus-continued/
Also are there any plans for adding any new stars

Great mod (planets and graphics) keep up the good work

Yes, eventually I'll update this to 1.9./1.10. I currently don't have any plans to add more stars.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:29 AM, moar ssto said:

Many of the trappist planets have the problem shown in the second image...

I am using ksp 1.8.1 with REX 0.9.6

11 hours ago, moar ssto said:

seems like the terrain is very sensitive to the distance the body is placed at

@moar ssto is there a thread tracking observations of such terrain issues in 1.8.1+?  Is this issue observed in any mods other than REX?   If you log & eventually share a list of specific lat - lon of crashes with invisible terrain when you notice them on any TRAPPIST1 system planet, that would help me more easily attempt to confirm your observations using the Making History DLC to place test ships near those locations in both REX TRAPPIST1 as exo system v. TRAPPIST1 as the home system ( @AndrewDraws TRAPPIST1 system's worlds are just too beautiful to not enjoy them with the Principia TRAPPIST1 system n-body model ;-).

7 hours ago, AndrewDraws said:

@moar sstoBasically exactly what @AloE said. If you can provide the specific longitude and latitude of the locations that cause you your spacecraft to crash into an invisible surface, that will allow me to exactly replicate what you are doing.

I don' think you need a specific coordinate to see these problems. For trappist-1 d, I tested couple of islands near the west coast of the ocean, close to equator, and many of them have the issues. For e, I observed this issue on 3 very different locations, all showing this problem. For h, I need to comfrim wheter this is something that happens in many places or not. I recomend just randomly drive along the surface using a wheeled vehicle, especially with jet engines, in the case the wheels are stoped by one of the terrain bugs. 

9 hours ago, AloE said:

@moar ssto is there a thread tracking observations of such terrain issues in 1.8.1+?  Is this issue observed in any mods other than REX?   If you log & eventually share a list of specific lat - lon of crashes with invisible terrain when you notice them on any TRAPPIST1 system planet, that would help me more easily attempt to confirm your observations using the Making History DLC to place test ships near those locations in both REX TRAPPIST1 as exo system v. TRAPPIST1 as the home system ( @AndrewDraws TRAPPIST1 system's worlds are just too beautiful to not enjoy them with the Principia TRAPPIST1 system n-body model ;-).

I am claimming this is distance related since I moved the system 10^6 times closer to sun and the bug disappeared, moving the system 10^5 times closer also makes the bug diappear, but the terrain is still shaky. I didn't see these bugs with 1.7.1, while see this on two seprately installed 1.8.1 ksp.

18 minutes ago, moar ssto said:

I don' think you need a specific coordinate to see these problems. For trappist-1 d, I tested couple of islands near the west coast of the ocean, close to equator, and many of them have the issues. For e, I observed this issue on 3 very different locations, all showing this problem. For h, I need to comfrim wheter this is something that happens in many places or not. I recomend just randomly drive along the surface using a wheeled vehicle, especially with jet engines, in the case the wheels are stoped by one of the terrain bugs. 

I am claimming this is distance related since I moved the system 10^6 times closer to sun and the bug disappeared, moving the system 10^5 times closer also makes the bug diappear, but the terrain is still shaky. I didn't see these bugs with 1.7.1, while see this on two seprately installed 1.8.1 ksp.

The problem is I'm not seeing this same issue on my own install, so I need to be able to replicate exactly what you did, including the location you landed on since you said in some areas it's glitched while in others it is not.

Also, what you're describing seems like an issue that would be solved by saving and reloading, which is why I think it's weird that you said that didn't do anything.

There's really not much I can do if I do what you're describing and I don't experience the same issue.

1 hour ago, AndrewDraws said:

The problem is I'm not seeing this same issue on my own install, so I need to be able to replicate exactly what you did, including the location you landed on since you said in some areas it's glitched while in others it is not.

Also, what you're describing seems like an issue that would be solved by saving and reloading, which is why I think it's weird that you said that didn't do anything.

There's really not much I can do if I do what you're describing and I don't experience the same issue.

I will try to get a position when re-installing the unaltered version. The good and broken patches are very close together btw, only couple hundred meters ussually.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:30 PM, FreeThinker said:

Hello @FreeThinker

It seams that we share this common follower on youtube! :)

The attention now is more on:
Luyten's Star (12.36 LY away)

Relatively closer and with planets in habitable zone.

There is a project called project "Sónar Calling GJ 273b", which belongs to METI, that is expecting an alien reply in the year 2036 :) from Luyten b.

This is where transmission 1 and transmission 2 are right now, traveling to space at speed of light:

7Zagpw6.png

Edited by pmborg

@moar sstoI've been messing around in REX, and it looks like the problem you described is a glitch due to using the debug menu to get into low orbit. If you wanna test out the planets, try using the debug menu to put yourself in a high orbit, save, reload, and then put yourself into a lower orbit and glide to the surface. I think you should have better luck that way. Using the set orbit thing, like hyperedit, can cause glitches with planets that are far away. It's really just a finicky thing that I don't have much control over. However, if you actually travel to these planets legitimately, I don't think this problem will persist.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.