[1.8.1] Real Exoplanets v0.9.6 [04/03/2020]

Andi K.

I've been experiencing a problem with Proxima Centauri b, it's lighting appears to be bugged somehow. The lighting on the atmosphere still works, and can give an idea on where the light should be coming from.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

I am using KSP version 1.8.1 with RSS installed.

R81RZbG.pnguBo5H8B.png

Edited by ItchyDonut

14 hours ago, ItchyDonut said:

I've been experiencing a problem with Proxima Centauri b, it's lighting appears to be bugged somehow. The lighting on the atmosphere still works, and can give an idea on where the light should be coming from.

R81RZbG.pnguBo5H8B.png

Are you viewing this in the tracking station? If so, it should be fine if you see the planet when you are in the system.

Hey. I'm not sure if you guys have seen it or not, but Proxima Centauri c is now confirmed and another signal orbiting inwards of b has been found.

On the 6 exomoon candidates: let's not get too hasty on it. From what I've heard, the 6 exomoon candidate paper was a bad research, calling them exomoons based on one 'rather weak line of evidence'.

It's not that these planets don't have moons. It's that it's enormously premature to call these worlds exomoon candidates based on one rather weak line of evidence. Exomoons are catnip because they're so elusive.
Clearly something is perturbing these six planets. But the problem is what? The astronomers presenting that research did not make a convincing case that it was likely to be moons.

- one of my friends

David Kipping and Alex Teachey (who found the exomoon candidate Kepler-1625 b i) were not impressed.

14 hours ago, ItchyDonut said:

R81RZbG.pnguBo5H8B.png

I believe that may be an issue due to a typo in specifying the normal in the configuration file.  Haven't tested this as I am not using this planet pack, but if you go to GameData\RealExoplanets\Systems\AlphaCentauriSystem\Proxima Centauri b.cfg, go to Line 95: and edit: 

normals = REX-Textures/PluginData/ProximaCenb_normal.dds to normals = REX-Textures/PluginData/ProximaCenb_Normal.dds

That "should" fix the lighting.

7 hours ago, hemeac said:

I believe that may be an issue due to a typo in specifying the normal in the configuration file.  Haven't tested this as I am not using this planet pack, but if you go to GameData\RealExoplanets\Systems\AlphaCentauriSystem\Proxima Centauri b.cfg, go to Line 95: and edit: 

normals = REX-Textures/PluginData/ProximaCenb_normal.dds to normals = REX-Textures/PluginData/ProximaCenb_Normal.dds

That "should" fix the lighting.

The capitalization doesn't actually matter. As @moar ssto said, if viewing the planets from the tracking station, some may looked bugged. When you are actually in the system, the planet should look normal from the map view and from space.

7 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Hey. I'm not sure if you guys have seen it or not, but Proxima Centauri c is now confirmed and another signal orbiting inwards of b has been found.

On the 6 exomoon candidates: let's not get too hasty on it. From what I've heard, the 6 exomoon candidate paper was a bad research, calling them exomoons based on one 'rather weak line of evidence'.

David Kipping and Alex Teachey (who found the exomoon candidate Kepler-1625 b i) were not impressed.

This is basically exactly what I've heard. A lot of it is just the media hyping it up. Whatever is going on in these systems could very well be something completely different than exomoons. It's pretty early to jump to the conclusion that these are even exomoon candidates. 

Edited by AndrewDraws

1 hour ago, AndrewDraws said:

The capitalization doesn't actually matter. As @moar ssto said, if viewing the planets from the tracking station, some may looked bug. When you are actually in the system, the planet should look normal from the map view and from space.

So I tried both renaming the normal map in the cfg and cheating a ship into orbit, not sure which one it was but regardless the lighting works now! Thank you all for your help!

9N8vmOr.png

• 4 weeks later...

Now, I encountered a serious kraken in Trappist1 system, there was very strong orbital drift that just prevent me from doing tcm for gravity assist, or just exiting timewarp at all. My apoapsis and periapsis just kept rising, when engines were shut down.

Edited by moar ssto

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 5:22 AM, AndrewDraws said:

I chose a dark purple color since plants on planets orbiting red dwarfs would probably be darker

I'd love to take a look!...I think this revision was post release of 0.9.6...might you be willing to post a link to the revised textures (and config file if that also changed :-)?

On 8/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, moar ssto said:

My apoapsis and periapsis just kept rising

Do you see that only in the Trappist system?  I also have been seeing this behavior in TRAPPIST1 as home world system with Principia...

On 9/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, AloE said:

I'd love to take a look!...I think this revision was post release of 0.9.6...might you be willing to post a link to the revised textures (and config file if that also changed :-)?

Do you see that only in the Trappist system?  I also have been seeing this behavior in TRAPPIST1 as home world system with Principia...

I don't have principia, I see this problem near the sun(RSS) as well, though not nearly as severe as with trappist1, my conclusion is that this has thing to do with how the stock integrator has big errors when moving at a high speed near a compact gravitational source.  Because of this, I'm suspeding the simgle stage to Trappist-1 d mission, until I can find a solution.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:14 AM, OOM said:

What needs to be done to make the mod compatible with x2.5 KSRSS? It just automatically scales to the size of the actual RSS and imbalances occur.

Edit cfg a bit in the REX.scaling.cfg.

Edited by moar ssto

i know this mod is old, but Stock Visual enhancements is not compatible with 1.8.1  would anyone know how to get visuals for this mod without RSSVE because i dont use RSS. or am i blind and this mod was made originally for an older version?

Edited by BobTheKerbal

10 hours ago, JakGamingKSP said:

How do you make this work with KSRSS?

Only AndrewDraws can do this. Moreover, besides the usual physics compatibility, visual compatibility with KSRSSVE is also needed. REX is currently only compatible with RSSVE.

Edited by OOM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.