Favorite Older TV Shows and Movies

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

( pre 1980 )

Thank you for this I was waiting for someone to say they remember watching Arrested Development with their parents or something.

+1 to @Delay's TOS and Twilight Zone. I'll throw in, in no particular order and leaving out many shows I'm just not thinking of:

• Original Doctor Who
  • MASH (trivia: The show lasted longer than the war in which it was set)
  • Leave It To Beaver (As the younger of 2 brothers this was like MY SHOW)
  • A lot of Columbo (Not my fault it was so good it lasted decades)
Edited by 5thHorseman

Im a fan of Hogan's Heroes

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Thank you for this I was waiting for someone to say they remember watching Arrested Development with their parents or something.

+1 to @Delay's TOS and Twilight Zone. I'll throw in, in no particular order and leaving out many shows I'm just not thinking of:

• Original Doctor Who
  • Leave It To Beaver (As the younger of 2 brothers this was like MY SHOW)

I have not seen any of those shows, lol I live under a bit of a rock

44 minutes ago, Delay said:

Not necessarily favorites as in "There is nothing better than", but shows I watch occasionally include TOS and the Twilight Zone... Wish I had that show on DVD. It's really good.

TOS?

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Im a fan of Hogan's Heroes

Oh man I loved that. I still quote Schultz when denying I know something.

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

TOS?

That's the common abbreviation for Star Trek. No, it's not French or something (Treque o Star) but "The Original Series"

As far as movies are concerned, some of my all-time favorites from before 1980 are (again in no order):

• Star Wars (duh)
  • Cool Hand Luke
  • Casablanca
  • Dr Strangelove
  • North By Northwest
  • Murder on the Orient Express

14 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

• Malcom in the Middle
  • Lost
  • Futurama
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

You know, the Golden Age of Television....

:D

To this day, I still haven't seen the last episode of MASH. The night it was on I, The King of the Procrastinators, had a report due at school the next day. So while the rest of the family was watching MASH I was sitting in the dining room writing about biology, IIRC. Never managed to catch it in reruns, not enough of a fan to buy or rent the DVD. Should see if it's on streaming somewhere, just to be completionist.

My parents loved all those 70s crime shows. Quincy, Rockford Files, Kojak, Streets of San Francisco. I would watch them once in a while, but I mostly had other things to do.

My favorites, when I was a kid: Battlestar Galactica (the original), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (Erin Gray made me feel all funny inside. :D), Baa Baa Black Sheep (Now renamed Black Sheep Squadron in syndication. Boooring!). Trying to think what else got me out from behind a book or a game. Oh, Thunderbirds! Loved Thunderbirds, although it was in syndication when I was a kid and hard to find on the air. I would watch Star Trek and Twilight Zone if they were on, but I wasn't a huge fan, I wouldn't seek them out.

TV Top 5

The Young Ones

Father Ted

Any Q series by Spike Milligan

Monty Python TV series

Sgt Bilko

Film Top 5

The Blues Brothers

The Jungle Book

Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

orig. Star Wars Trilogy

2001, A Space Odessey

Here's my list of pre-1980 shows and movies (although TV shows from the 80's would be a lot easier)... not in any particular order.

TV

Space 1999

The Six Million Dollar Man

Star Trek TOS

Movies

All the President's Men

2001: A Space Odessey

Alien

Ice Station Zebra

The Conversation

On 8/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, 5thHorseman said:

MASH (trivia: The show lasted longer than the war in which it was set)

There was an old Mad Magazine piece from the early 80's with a bunch of TV show headstones. One that always stuck out was the one for MASH (I can't seem to remember any of the other shows named in the piece). I don't recall the first half of the epitaph, but the second half of the quatrain was "Served twelve years in a three year war!" Google has failed me in trying to find it in a reasonable period of time.

Favorites, hmmm... BR, BSG, TZ, Quincy, yup. SW, yup. I wanna say Raiders of the Lost Ark, but that was 1981. Oh yeah, The Fantastic Voyage, You Only Live Twice, and Moonraker!

But nobody has mentioned Happy Days. Or.....

Spoiler

GILLIGAN!!!!0e49708eb8f3afe62abfc260928485b1.png

Now, if one were to catch some shows from across the pond, Dave Allen at Large  and Benny Hill made for a good one-two punch.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I don't remember anything pre-1980...... 

TV? Aside from things already mentioned ("MASH", "Hogan's Heroes"), about the only TV show I could watch any time it's on would be "Taxi". Just barely pre-1980 though. 

Movies? I think we had another thread for that, but for pre-1980 really it just comes down to "Bridge on the River Kwai" and "Star Wars". Maybe "The Great Dictator". Lots of other films from the pre-1980s that I like, but most of my "favorites" came out in the 80s and 90s.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:19 PM, 5thHorseman said:

That poor chicken!

:(

• 8 months later...

Ohhh, one of my favorite subjects... lol
Most of my favorites have already been listed on here. But I'm going to add two more that were incredibly influential to me personally when I was growing up (FYI, I was born in 1962)
My two favorites to add to the list are the epic UFO and Space: 1999

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.