KSP Loading... Preview: The Mun Texture Revamp

St4rdust

Hey, Kerbonouts prepare your boosters!

We've already started working on the 1.8 update!
In this update, we are improving some of the planets' textures.
Take a look at The Mun's new look.

We have created two new shaders and now players will be able to pick between the low (legacy), medium and high-quality shader for planets.

6 minutes ago, St4rdust said:

We have created two new shaders and now players will be able to pick between the low (legacy), medium and high-quality shader for planets.

Take a look at The Mun's new look. pic.twitter.com/U3eIlQghZO

— Kerbal Space Program (@KerbalSpaceP) August 8, 2019

Watch the video in HQ here:  http://bit.ly/2ZOQzHC  :)  

Wonderful! :)

Does this also have an update to PQS surface-generation system to take advantage of computational acceleration (i.e. using command buffers as suggested a long while ago by Mu), or is it higher fidelity of the surfaces by using larger textures feeding into the existing system, or is the update graphical in nature only (i.e. better skin/mesh/textures over surfaces of comparable complexity to what is presently available)?

Maybe that isn't quite phrased right, but it would be cool to have a DevBlog going into the underlying details (technological/process) of the update if possible

Edited by NoMrBond

3 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Now that the Mun's surface looks like it's actually covered in dust....

What about footprints and wheels?

Just to be sure everyone's graphics card is killed once and for all!

This is the single best thing ive seen come out of the KSP devs regarding the stock game (2nd DLC is also amazing but i dont consider that stock game) since the multicore update, and thats really saying something.

I know a complete ground revamp is unlikely, but if the tiling issues and generally low res mess that is the current game gets fixed, itll be 1 step closer to perfection.  Now all i personally would love to see is a sunflare that doesnt suck, i know the one i use for scatterer is more scifi then realistic, but after i tried it i just cant get myself to use the default :)...

O1B4gML.png

So yeah, keep up the good work, and i reccomend doing kerbin system 1st, then expanding to duna and eve since many people dont actually go interplanetary, and those that do have probably been to duna/eve at the bare minimum, afterwards jool system...

Edited by panzer1b

51 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

I know a complete ground revamp is unlikely...

You're probably right, but it may be a missed opportunity.  The update's advertising could be all about it.  If they were feeling frisky, they could even add another planet for more planetary advertisement possibilities!

If they only do a few planets, it's a lot harder to make it a key point of advertising.

Edited by klgraham1013

I just hope we will see some of the robotic fixes in the 1.8 as well. Most of the bugs were fixed, but there's still quite a few that need attention. Hinge infinite EC drain at 90/-90, for example. And if you manage to somehow take your time and make clouds, then it will be as good of an update as the robotics dlc. 

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Go to the link and watch the HQ video.

Not sure why they use a LQ video to show HQ textures but hey :D

hahaha! that's awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.  :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.