Mike Huges is at it again; RIP 22 Feb 2020

Shpaget

Unfortunately, it was pretty obvious to all of us that this was going to be the most likely outcome of his endeavours. Rocket engineers test their contraptions for a reason, and they stand way back while testing.

I wasn't able to find any info on the backup chute. Anybody else managed to dig something out?

RIP Mike.

I'm not surprised, just sad... He might have been totally nuts, but part of me still really admires him.
He built his own rockets... I mean, come on, crazy or not, that just about as Kerbal as it gets....

Edited by Just Jim

Didn't check his staging...

2TrJ6kJ.jpg

May he Rest in Peace.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:24 AM, GDJ said:

I have standing bet with a few others on how hard he's going to pancake on the desert floor.

So now that it's happened...  who won?

Edited by Atlessa

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

At 01:10 the second chute is opened before the touchdown.

Hide contents

that one was a bit weird, because of the sound and the thing flying off it looked like the parachute was deployed with some sort of pyrotechnic. Might also be high pressure air. 
However why was the second parachute so late, was they both supposed to go off automatic and one failed and was used manual then he understood only one was out or had he problem activating it like if knocked out or dizzy after launch. 

For the final flight its totally kerbal as other pointed out. 

However, its pretty easy to make something who never blow up before they should like the safety in the fuses on bombs, this however cause some cluster bomb sub-munition not arm. 
Or make something who is totally safe like elevators who tend to stand because technical problems because of the safety system pretty often. 

Making something who combine both and never go off before they should and always work is hard, it can be done like airbags but its hard on an shoestring project and probably limited experience. 

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

However why was the second parachute so late

I guess, he first opened one as a drogue chute to avoid sudden tug and high acceleration, while the second one complements it to a full area twin chute.

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

ooked like the parachute was deployed with some sort of pyrotechnic

Maybe a mortar, maybe a compressed air mortar, maybe some base jumping chute (I guess, it's probable as he was a stunt performer).

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe a mortar, maybe a compressed air mortar, maybe some base jumping chute (I guess, it's probable as he was a stunt performer).

The second chute definitely looked like it was fired out by a rocket or a pyrotechnic. He didn't activate it this time, which means either it didn't work or possibly he was unconscious. Since he fractured his spine the last time with two chutes, it already should have been clear that this was a weak point for his safety.

The video shown at the address looks just like a KSP staging error in which the parachute is deployed at launch. Unfortunately, this is a real person, a real rocket, and they are really dead. Viewer discretion is advised.  https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/mad-mike-hughes-fatal-rocket-crash-caught-on-video/

Edited by ansaman
fix link

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

An off-topic but why KSP allows to put a chute and an engine in one staging event at all? Why not auto-split such event? Does somebody pull away a burnt stage with chutes?

A bunch of reasons:

1. Historical and availability of hilarious fails as you learn rocket science.  You'll note we saw it as a Squad trademark.  Judging by past design choices, I think this is the real reason.

2. Allows for the possibility of recovery by staging parachutes on falling stages as the next stage is sequenced (this was really hard with the old "deletion zone", I'm not sure it is still remotely effective now.  It does help mods).

3. The additional code has the chance of preventing hot staging and other side effects via bugs, not including it is safer.

4. It takes more man hours than you'd think, and Take2 doesn't want to fund KSP1.x more than they have to.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

An off-topic but why KSP allows to put a chute and an engine in one staging event at all? Why not auto-split such event? Does somebody pull away a burnt stage with chutes?

There are tons of reasons you might want to do that.

• Stage off your heat shield when you pop your drogues
  • Fire retrorockets and pop a chute simultaneously at spaceplane touchdown on a short runway
  • Place drogue chutes on a decoupler so they can be staged off when the mains are popped
  • Chute down parallel stages for recovery without requiring a probe core
  • Pop chutes and fairing simultaneously
  • Fire solid retrorockets and pop chutes at the same time for a high-altitude, low-opening (HALO) descent

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.