Capture the Kerban

2 hours ago, TedJet Aerospace said:

Launch 3-5 Kerbans into the space environment using a rocket or shuttle. Make all of them do an EVA. Speed up time 1,000 for 5 minutes. Launch a new rocket and try to capture them. Bonus points if they're all tourists.

Oh, yes! I would want bonus points for convincing tourists to do an EVA. ;)

SCNR!

Edited by AHHans
formatting

Definitely need bonus points for tourist EVA. Is there even a mod that does that?

Methinks someone hasn't got much KSP experience. @TedJet Aerospace this is why you should always do a challenge idea first, exploring every angle you can before posting it. That way it saves you ridicule for getting things wrong or suggesting impossible things like tourist EVA. 

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your next challenge. 

@TedJet Aerospace Your mission now, should you choose to accept it, is to hunt down those five 'unrecoverable' kerbals and recover them anyway. Yes, it can be done. I recommend the liberal use of klaws, heat shields and parachutes, and you are most likely best off launching five small drones to maximize your odds of recovering at least one of the kerbals. Each fiery death will result in valuable lessons on how to approach the next victim.

I would be delighted to see screenshots of your successes and failures, and of course proof of a successful mission is always welcome.

Good luck! And fly safe.

Edited by dire

On 8/11/2019 at 11:16 PM, Andetch said:

Definitely need bonus points for tourist EVA. Is there even a mod that does that?

Methinks someone hasn't got much KSP experience. @TedJet Aerospace this is why you should always do a challenge idea first, exploring every angle you can before posting it. That way it saves you ridicule for getting things wrong or suggesting impossible things like tourist EVA. 

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your next challenge. 

The OP should of course do it first but....

Actually I have experimented with tourists and, yes, they can go on EVA in space, on surfaces and walk around. In 1.7 anyway me think.

I will make a short vid to demonstrate. Easy to do.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

10 hours ago, dnbattley said:

This may actually be possible, after a fashion, by using EVA seats and an automated "scraping" mechanism...

I don't believe it, but that does work! You can put a tourist into an external command seat, and then "eject" them into space. And while it is not necessary to automate this, sequencing the ejection of a couple of useless - errr - paying guests makes for a nice "firework" (or Kerbalwork?).

Once they are on EVA they can be controlled in the same way as trained Kerbals.

6 hours ago, AHHans said:

I don't believe it, but that does work! You can put a tourist into an external command seat, and then "eject" them into space. And while it is not necessary to automate this, sequencing the ejection of a couple of useless - errr - paying guests makes for a nice "firework" (or Kerbalwork?).

Once they are on EVA they can be controlled in the same way as trained Kerbals.

Yup. They can board the chair again and come back home.

The first time I had tourists on EVA was after a crash.

Then I spun the craft intentionally on the ground to release them.

Just now I tried this:

I am running 1.7.3 Vanilla with MechJeb as the only mod.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

42 minutes ago, Andetch said:

Can tourists plant flags, perform eva reports and collect samples?

At least on Kerbin and in orbit around Kerbin: yes, yes, and yes.

The one thing they can't do is perform crew reports.

Hmmm...

Nope, you can't cheat having control of a vessel by putting a tourist into a command seat. (But offering rover rides to tourists would have been cool. :cool:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.