[1.12.X] EventHorizon v1.1 - A Blackhole System inspired by the movie Interstellar (with functional wormholes) (and Gravitational Lensing)

GrandProtectorDark

screenshot10.png
Welcome to EventHorizon.

What this mod is about
EventHorizon is a planetpack that adds in a Blackhole-system which is inspired by the movie "Interstellar".
I loved Interstellar, the visuals, especially how Gargantua looked like. When @Artyomka15's Kargantua fell into incompatibility, it was sad.
So after some time I decided to make my own take on the Gargantua system.

Now over a year later, here we are with Murph, a Black hole with a totally appropriate name.

4 Years later, now with Singularity Compatibility! 

What is featured in this mod.

19 new planetary bodies.
2 new star system
1 Blackhole system

Functional wormholes (Thank the Kopernicus developers for that on)
Custom science for ever celestial body 
Custom Planetary Icons(no boring stock dots)
A custom lava ocean-texture (not just a red stock ocean)
Handmade Blackhole visuals

(and a reason to use those fancy high tech high DeltaV engines)

Where you can download the mod.
https://github.com/GrandProtectorDark/Event-Horizon/releases/tag/1.1

Installation Instructions

Spoiler
  1. Download the mod from the link above
  2. Download the mod Kopernicus, as it is required for this mod to work.

3. Download the Mod Singularity, as it is required for the gravitational lensing effect.
  4. Locate the "Kerbal Space Program" folder
    If you are using steam, then you can find the steam folder by right clicking KSP in Steam, then selecting properties 
    , then browse local files.
  5. Open both downloaded zip files, then open their GameData folders. Copy the content inside those GameData's into into "Kerbal Space Program\GameData"
    KSP's GameData should look like this now

-CTTP
                   -EventHorizon
                   -000_Harmony
                   -Kopernicus
                   -KopernicusExpansion
                   -ModularFlightIntegrator
                   Squad
                   Singularity
                   [Any other mod you want to use alongside this]
                   -ModuleManager

How to use the Wormholes

Spoiler

Intercepting a Wormhole: Ingame, wormholes function like planets/moons. They have an on-rails orbit and a tiny SOI
Disclaimer, the Following Images show how the wormholes used to look like during the 1.0 release. Their 1.1 release version only visually looks different, but works mechanically the same and all steps described still apply.

Using a Wormhole:

1. Start by orbiting the Wormhole, it's orbital velocity is rather low, so getting into orbit might be a bit annoying.
    unknown.png

2. Then Lower your periapsis to be bellow 7.7km, but still above the "surface".
    unknown.pngunknown.png

3. Timewarp till you reach about 8km above "ground". 
  4. After passing bellow 8km above "ground", spacecraft controls will be locked, the spacecraft will start shaking violently and a splashing sound can be heard.
    Timewarp till periapsis is reached. A minimal lagspike should occur. If all went well, then you should be in a completely different place.
    This is a little Video should show it 
  5. After successfully traveling across space-time, just raise your periapsis above 8km to stop a second Jump. 
    Wormholes can be used both ways and also work if you are on a fly-by trajectory
    Note:Jumping will copy you exact orbit direction and speed, so coming in from a fly-by might end up in a less than favorable exit trajectory

Some Images

Spoiler

screenshot14.pngscreenshot18.pngscreenshot15.pngscreenshot11.pngscreenshot5.pngscreenshot6.pngscreenshot91.pngscreenshot13.pngscreenshot16.png
Planet Icon
unknown.pngunknown.png
                                                               unknown.png

And some less serious ones

screenshot101.png
Biplane on the shores of Brand

unknown.png
The earliest Imaged received from Murph after the discover of the wormhole

screenshot89.pngscreenshot88.png
Cruising on Magister

screenshot57.png
Me and the boys going camping on Agua

Some recommended mods to be used alongside EventHorizon

Spoiler

Mods with engines that work well here:

USI Karbonite: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Karbonite

It is also recommended to have mods that add in air-breathing engines that don't need oxygen.

Some other usefull mods

If you want to do anything on wheels on Logos and Pneuma, then you need Kerbal Foundries. Stock Wheels ain't doing it there.

And what would this mod be without the Movie Spacecrafts

Mod Support
- Event Horizon has custom wormhole locations for the following planet packs that replace the Stock-System
BeyondHome 
WhirligigWorld 
BeforeKerbin 
AfterKerbin 
AlternisKerbolRekerjiggered
GPP 
Evolution
SLIPPIST-1
- Planet packs that replace the home-system that aren't listed here are supported by placing the Stock system-wormhole in solar orbit

-Real Solar System is not supported

- Custom Science for the HabitabilityCheck Experiment from EnduranceShip

-Antimatter and LqdDeuterium/LqdHe3 can be found in selected regions (When using a mod that needs "CommunityResourcePack")

Special thanks to:
 @Thomas P. not only for Kopernicus itself, but also for adding the ability to make wormholes.
@Pkmniako for helping me learn how to make a fancy accretion disk
The Kopernicus Discord for being so helpful.

Licencing
EventHorizon is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0
Creative Commons License
However, any image asset not made by a third party, shall not be used in a mod outside of Event Horizon
All other bundled mods are distributed under their own licenses.

The texture used for Fuego's lava up-close was taken and modified from  
http://www.textures4photoshop.com/tex/fire-and-smoke/lava-magma-seamless-texture-free-download.aspx 

Edited by GrandProtectorDark
1.1 Update

11 hours ago, Pds314 said:

What is the black hole's escape velocity? If I don't bring a hundred million Delta V am I gonna fly past? Would circularizing take a hundred million more?

Well, If you don't mind waiting a couple centuries, then you could get there manually with just about 30.000ishm/s. Although I don't know why you'd want to do that over just using the wormhole route

17 hours ago, Sandstorm said:

Woah. I gotta have this. How long would it take to travel to Murph without the wormholes? 

I have OPM and GEP and would be nice to work my way outward from Grannus until I reach Murph. 

With a warp drive mod I bet it would take you 2 or 3 hours IRL. The OP won't know the answer as a major part of the reason for the wormholes is you'll never need to ask that question.

This mod will need to have patches made to place wormholes in GEP and OPM (when Jool no longer exists).

15 hours ago, subyng said:

This got me thinking about whether it's possible implement time dilation in ksp...

Most likely not. And it won't be worth anyone's time and effort to try to do so.

15 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Maybe someday. But don't put your hopes too high.

Amazing work dude!!!

Oh, I get it must be a lot of extra work to do the atmospheric visuals, and the mod is very nice as it is, but please consider adding scatterer andEVE configs!

After all this time playing with the eye candy mods it's weird to go back to a "naked" atmospheres.

IMO this mod here would be perfect if it had support for such mods as EVE, scatterer, Planetshine and Distant Object Enhancements.

cheers

Daf

Edited by Dafni

Hey, why isn't this mod getting more love? I installed it yesterday and it's absolutely beautiful. The planets are stock quality, the black hole is super awesome and the wormholes are a really neat idea how to make it accessible even with stock parts. And it runs smoothly - no bugs, no crashes, no GPU overheating I tend to get from some other mods. A fantastic job, my man. Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Aelipse said:

Hey, why isn't this mod getting more love? I installed it yesterday and it's absolutely beautiful. The planets are stock quality, the black hole is super awesome and the wormholes are a really neat idea how to make it accessible even with stock parts. And it runs smoothly - no bugs, no crashes, no GPU overheating I tend to get from some other mods. A fantastic job, my man. Many thanks!

I second this. 

I already have GEP, and OPM on 8gb ram and I installed this 2 days ago and not one crash or even a warning on the console. It will be quite a while before I can travel to Murph though as I'm still relatively early in career with only landings in Kerbin SOI

But just looking at the CBs in the tracking station I sooooo wanna go soon. Maybe I'll do a reverse grand tour lol working from Murph, then Grannus from GEP, then finally OPM ending with the stock bodies. That will probably take my kerbals millennia, luckily I can freeze them for the long journey as there's no way I'd have enough life support for that long a journey. 

Unfortunately, my karborundum powered mothership (with full orbital construction facilities so I build lander as and when I need them) costs over 60 million funds due to the torch drives and fuel needed. :0.0:

I'll just have to keep selling science points for funds until I get to the target. 

It runs smoothly - no bugs, no crashes, no GPU overheating I tend to get from some other mods. A fantastic job, my man. Many thanks!

Good to hear that it runs well and without Issues. I tried my best to make polish it as much as I could.

really neat idea how to make it accessible even with stock parts.

I wouldn't be so sure about that part, assuming you ever want to visit Doyle or Romilly

Awesome mod. Been waiting to get back into KSP for a while, and this finally dragged me back. Looked at all the planets now, can't wait to start flying ships there.

Only thing that could make this even better would be clouds for the EVE mod, but that's definitely not needed. Thank you for sharing this!

12 hours ago, shmuk said:

Is this going to be available via CKAN? Also has anyone tested it in combination with Outer Planets Mod OPM?

Regarding OPM, I have it installed in my save and there aren't any conflicts. The black hole is far far away from the Kerbol system.

In fact there is still space for a whole other star system beyond the last OPM planet. This space I have happily filled with GEP and from the tracking station view, I'm not even close to 50% of the distance to the black hole when I'm at the outermost planet of GEP. 

So I assume it plays well with most planet mods as it spawns so very far away. 

I'm not too sure about the soi of the black hole tho, it may be something I need to test to find out

2 hours ago, Sandstorm said:

In fact there is still space for a whole other star system beyond the last OPM planet. This space I have happily filled with GEP and from the tracking station view, I'm not even close to 50% of the distance to the black hole when I'm at the outermost planet of GEP. 

So I assume it plays well with most planet mods as it spawns so very far away. 

I'm not too sure about the soi of the black hole tho, it may be something I need to test to find out

About that part. Event Horizon is part of the Interstellar Consortium. Which in short, are agreements and guidelines  under us modders on how to make your mod not throw a fuss with other planet mods (including avoiding SOI overlap). It should be compatible with most other star system mods. (Assuming they're also part of the IC)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.