[1.12.X] EventHorizon v1.1 - A Blackhole System inspired by the movie Interstellar (with functional wormholes) (and Gravitational Lensing)

GrandProtectorDark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Greg Cooper said:

This is amaizng! But why Kerbol isn't orbiting the black hole?

Because that brings with it a big handful of problems. 
If I were to make Murph the center object of the universe, I would have to modify the stock  sun (because just putting it around a new body doesn't quite work)to make it look like a black hole and make a new sun to put the stock system around.

Now KSP really doesn't like it if Kerbin (as in The homeworld) isn't orbiting the center object of the universe. 
Secondly, this would pretty much break compatibility with any other planet pack in existence. 
The Centerobject of the universe has to be called "sun" internally (although what you see ingame doesn't need to), so If were to make murph into the center object, any planet pack that puts planets around the sun, would put it around murph and not the new kerbal sun.

There are workarounds for both, but it isn't really worth the effort.

I like the concept, but there are some design issues with it. Black hole has 56 g at the surface, and neutron star over 172 million g.

Escape speed of the hole is 0.0009 c, and of neutron star is little over 0.033 c. These values make no sense.

Also, in my humble opinion, there is no need for this many planetary bodies.

19 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Because that brings with it a big handful of problems. 
If I were to make Murph the center object of the universe, I would have to modify the stock  sun (because just putting it around a new body doesn't quite work)to make it look like a black hole and make a new sun to put the stock system around.

Now KSP really doesn't like it if Kerbin (as in The homeworld) isn't orbiting the center object of the universe. 
Secondly, this would pretty much break compatibility with any other planet pack in existence. 
The Centerobject of the universe has to be called "sun" internally (although what you see ingame doesn't need to), so If were to make murph into the center object, any planet pack that puts planets around the sun, would put it around murph and not the new kerbal sun.

There are workarounds for both, but it isn't really worth the effort.

OK

On 10/27/2019 at 2:03 AM, lajoswinkler said:

I like the concept, but there are some design issues with it. Black hole has 56 g at the surface, and neutron star over 172 million g.

Escape speed of the hole is 0.0009 c, and of neutron star is little over 0.033 c. These values make no sense.

Also, in my humble opinion, there is no need for this many planetary bodies.

A: so its actually usable (same logic as behind the dawn engine). I once tried to use realistic numbers on murph and it was just unplayable even with far future engine mods. However, I do plan on raising murphs mass a decently large amount. Not to realism though. 

B: everyone their own. I personally just wanted to have a lively system instead of an empty nothingness like what kargantua was(3 planets and an asteroid). You are installing 3 celestial systems at once though, just to keep that in mind.

(Also Iirc the conbined number isn't more than some other  recent planet packs)

2 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

A: so its actually usable (same logic as behind the dawn engine). I once tried to use realistic numbers on murph and it was just unplayable even with far future engine mods. However, I do plan on raising murphs mass a decently large amount. Not to realism though. 

B: everyone their own. I personally just wanted to have a lively system instead of an empty nothingness like what kargantua was(3 planets and an asteroid). You are installing 3 celestial systems at once though, just to keep that in mind.

(Also Iirc the conbined number isn't more than some other  recent planet packs)

OK I get it for Murph, but why does Klaus have such huge surface gravity?

Also, Klaus spins as 1 Hz which makes it a slow rotating neutron star, not a fast one as it says in the description. Basically all neutron stars are spinning like crazy.

BTW can I prune the planetary system without the rest getting wonky? For example if I remove the star, will Murph and Klaus remain functional?

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

OK I get it for Murph, but why does Klaus have such huge surface gravity?

Klaus is a special case where using sorta realistic numbers actually works out without making orbital transfers a a near impossibility.
Iirc it is about 1.3 or 1.4 (kerbol) solar masses.

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Also, Klaus spins as 1 Hz which makes it a slow rotating neutron star, not a fast one as it says in the description. Basically all neutron stars are spinning like crazy.

There's a point where setting it any faster makes it it visually freeze. So I just put it at a second.
There also is the thing where the tracking-station/in-flight map-view displays anything smaller than 1 second as 1 second

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

BTW can I prune the planetary system without the rest getting wonky? For example if I remove the star, will Murph and Klaus remain functional?

You can remove the cooper-system just fine without breaking anything. You just need to delete/disable all of coopers planets and their moons so the game doesn't try to place celestial bodies around another body that doesn't exist.
You'd also need to delete/disable Wormhole C-1 (the Murph->Cooper wormhole) as that one would be a bit useless without a link-partner

15 hours ago, Trolol29 said:

If Kopernicus is updated for 1.8, will you update this mod?

Probably, although there might be a chance that it'll work right out of the box anyway (assuming you use updated dependencies).
It also strongly depends on if INSTANTIATOR still works with 1.8 or not. But it doubt it wouldn't work

On 06/11/2019 at 00:18, GrandProtectorDark said:

Probablement, bien qu'il y ait une chance que cela fonctionne de toute façon de toute façon (en supposant que vous utilisiez des dépendances mises à jour).
Cela dépend aussi fortement si INSTANTIATOR fonctionne toujours avec 1.8 ou non. Mais ça doute que ça ne marche pas

INSTANTIATOR? I saw it in the files, but I don't know what it is.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Personally I like it like it is. You did a great job there. The whole mod is visually appealing and sensibly balanced for a nice challenge. One can tell a whole lot of thought, love, time and effort went into this. I am eagerly awaiting the dependencies to update to 1.8.x and look forward to add this again to my main game. In the meantime this mod remains one of the reasons to fire up 1.7.3 from time to time.

6 hours ago, Trolol29 said:

INSTANTIATOR? I saw it in the files, but I don't know what it is.

INSTANTIATOR (well the file not the folder) is responsible for Murphs accretion disk and fake gravitational lensing.

6 hours ago, Dafni said:

The whole mod is visually appealing and sensibly balanced for a nice challenge. 

About that. IT is gonna change in the future(like when I get enough motivation to deal with scatterer/eve). Murph is planned to get harder (it is still possible to get around with Kerbal atomics right now, which isn't really the right feel of difficulty for a black hole)

9 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

About that. IT is gonna change in the future(like when I get enough motivation to deal with scatterer/eve). Murph is planned to get harder (it is still possible to get around with Kerbal atomics right now, which isn't really the right feel of difficulty for a black hole)

Cool, I wouldn't mind Murph to become harder at all. Sounds good.

Oh, if you could get Scatterer/EVE configs sorted it would be amazing indeed! That would really be the icing on the cake now. Please make it happen. That is really the only thing I miss in this mod. If you dont have the time for getting into this, maybe you could outsource the job? Or get somebody else on-board? Or the configs for DOE and Planetshine? I am sure there are folks out there who would be willing to help...

Some of your planets just scream CLOUDS at me :)

Edited by Dafni

1 hour ago, dyfxjtu said:

but,where‘s the wormhole?i can't find it in kerbal system?or it maybe have another name?

It's around Jool {between Jool and Laythe). Pretty hard to see as the orbit line is black as well. I think the name you should look for is, Anomaly-WH-35325-A.

Spoiler

Also note there are different wormholes depending on where you are going. Anomaly-WH-35325-A will get you to Murph. Its counterpart around Murph will get you back to Jool. There are 2 other wormholes around Murph,  WormholeC-1 and WormholeD-1 which will get you to Cooper and Klaus.

5 hours ago, dyfxjtu said:

but,where‘s the wormhole?i can't find it in kerbal system?or it maybe have another name?

The Wormhole that Conects the Home-star to Murph is around Jool. Roughly halfway between the surface of jool and laythes orbit.

All of them are called Anomally WH (standing for Wormhole). 

If finding normally doesn't work, just use the tab key to manually jumb between bodies.

Their Orbit lines are intentionally so to make them more hidden.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.