Experiment on a possible Flight HUD Redesign (Result)

Okay, here we go with some more updates!
I will finish the design details later and add proper introduction/racional behind every decision... But I'm too tired to do it right now...

1. Conceptual wireframe

j3AoZ0K.png

2. Testing holographic-and-fun style, getting closer to KSP2

7FY5Wr7.png

3. Why there's so little info on the screen (hint: adaptive based on context instruments/readout)
bmoveIC.png

I think it's hard to understand without a good documentation/demonstration, but I like to share WIP shots :cool:

More update on the redesign project!

I'm still finishing the rational documentation behind this project, but I will share the draft.

---

Experiment on a Flight HUD redesign (draft)

My vision for KSP

Learning by accident.

Player profile

Affinity matrix: Gammer x Aerospace Engineer

(simplistic framework for analysis)

Framing the problem

Most UI suggestions rely on adding more elements to the screen to support a specific type of gameplay. It solves a lot of problem for hardcore KSP players, but they overload new players with information and complexity. Having a less enjoyable first-time experience hurts the KSP vision.

The proposal

Making a Flight UI that at the first time feels simple, but can progressively add more complexity. The idea is to adapt the controls/readouts by context, so you don't have to display information that isn't relevant to the actual player task.

By adding controls mode that has an automatic context switcher, you can deliver a simple/walkthrough experience for new players and give contextual hooks for experienced players to add whatever they need.

To support the control modes idea, I introduced a split control/planning concept, to offer a better interaction mapping for the changes.

My vision for KSP

Learning by accident.

Player profile

Matrix: Gammer x Aerospace Engineer
(too shallow?)

Framing the problem

Most UI suggestions rely on adding more elements to the screen to support a specific type of gameplay. It solves a lot of problem for hardcore KSP players, but they overload new players with information and complexity. Having a less enjoyable first-time experience hurts the KSP vision.

The proposal

Making a Flight UI that at the first time feels simple, but can progressively add more complexity. The idea is to adapt the controls/readouts by context, so you don't have to display information that isn't relevant to the actual player task.

By adding controls mode that has an automatic context switcher, you can deliver a simple/walkthrough experience for new players and give contextual hooks for experienced players to add whatever they need.

To support the control modes idea, I introduced a split control/planning concept, to offer a better interaction mapping for the changes.

(side note: This redesign doesn't focus on game elements, such as contracts and currencies)

Conceptual map/wireframe DRAFT

wireframe draft: https://imgur.com/j3AoZ0K

conceptual map: https://mm.tt/1315215313?t=MHaz394g4C

# Visual design overview DRAFT

8ExnvDU.png

QOCCkOg.png

(those WIP were exported for a contrast check. As you can see, not perfect :P )

# Controls variations

(work in progress, check conceptual map)

# Advanced panels

# Customization

---

If you see something off, I would love to get early feedback :)

Edited by beik

Looks awesome! I have 3 questions.

1. There are 4 little buttons in the bottom left corner. These are placed so that if you were to put another Kerbal in the rocket and its portrait appeared next to Val's, it would overlap those 4 buttons. Where would you place the next IVA portrait?

2. I can't find a G-meter. Some people like to play with Kerbal G-force enabled.

3. When are the KSP/KSP2 devs going to hire you?

Hey @fulgur, thanks for taking a closer look! I will try to answer each of the questions below:

36 minutes ago, fulgur said:

1. There are 4 little buttons in the bottom left corner. These are placed so that if you were to put another Kerbal in the rocket and its portrait appeared next to Val's, it would overlap those 4 buttons. Where would you place the next IVA portrait?

This design replace the Crew portraits by a Video feed concept. It means that you will always have only one square element on the same position. I will add some detailed design later, but this is the plan:

wmZrOeO.png

I like this idea because it add more useful "portrait", but still can display some IVA drama. And it adds a "eye" for probes too.

If you want a list of the crew, you should have it after hitting "EVA".

Makes sense?

44 minutes ago, fulgur said:

2. I can't find a G-meter. Some people like to play with Kerbal G-force enabled.

I decide to remove the G-meter from the main control because it's usually only relevant on ascending/reetry, right?  The core idea is that the UI adapt for the context and don't display info that isn't relevant on premium places. For those who plays with G-force enable, I expect that you can still customize the ui by adding a small g-meter, and use a warning overlay for when the g-force is exceeding safety limits, like thermal problems, but below the top bar.

The only thing that I'm not sure that would work is how to display crew specific information, not just vessel info.

53 minutes ago, fulgur said:

3. When are the KSP/KSP2 devs going to hire you?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like video feed idea, because it shows lots of other stuff. Will you be able to swap between portraits? One idea I had is to be able to divide the video feed into 4 different portraits so you can still see the same number of kerbals as you can now at once, but you can also zoom in. That would be useful for the wonderful Mission Report People, viz. D:OB.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing: Zeros should not have the center dot. That is being used to discern zeros and Os, but in most meters there will be no letters. The center dot makes it harder to recognize and allows confusing with 8 / 6 / 9. 'Clean' zeros should be used instead. (Not as cool, but better to read :D)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.