Oddly specific aircraft parts and my reasoning for adding them

These are going to seem like oddly specific suggestions for aircraft parts, but I'll do my best to explain why they would be fitting in KSP.

To start, 6.5m fuselage pieces. In other words, Boeing 747 pieces in both passenger and cargo bay configurations. Since the 747 acted as NASA's shuttle carrier and is used to this day by Virgin Galactic to launch rockets in-flight, the addition of these segments is more than justified. As an added bonus, the US Air Force was researching ways to convert 747s into flying aircraft carriers.

700174main_ED12-0317-073.jpg

Virgin-Galactic-L1-and-747-400_rsz-1600x

maxresdefault.jpg

Second, 2.5m fuselage pieces, roughly the size of the B-29 Superfortress's fuselage. A modified B-29 (called the B-50 Mothership) was used to launch variants of the Bell X series of supersonic aircraft.

X-2_After_Drop_from_B-50_Mothership_-_GP

Not sure if it was worth posting this, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Nice idea, however, don't forget that the part diameters in KSP are scaled down.

The Kerbodyne S3 series tanks (the largest tanks available) have a diameter of 3.75m

The MK3 body (which mimics the Space Shuttle Orbiter profile) have a diameter of 3.75m

Now, the real Space Shuttle have a width of 6.7 meters at its widest point, just slightly wider than the 747 Shuttle Carrier at 6.5m

So, technically, considering the scale, the proper size for a 747 replica would be the S3 tank profile.

A 6.5m part, in game, would be about similar than a ~11m part in real life

I don't know if any mods add passenger/cargo parts in 3.75 meters, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is.

Well, then there's the added bonus of being able to make full-size shuttles. :D

Personally, I like to scale vehicle builds to real-life sizes. I made a Boeing Microfighter (as seen in the 747 carrier pic) with a wingspan of about 5m, which was around its actual size. It's on the Steam Workshop (under NobleNerd; shameless self-promotion for an easy build :P).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.