KSP Loading... Preview: The Duna Texture Revamp

St4rdust

1 hour ago, St4rdust said:

Hey, Kerbonouts get the rovers ready! 

The 1.8 update will include several planets' textures and shaders improvements, it's time to take a look at Duna's new look. stay tuned for more updates!

I give it a 6/10. I mean yeah the better quality at the poles but it doesn't look like Duna... The mun looks better but not different. I hope it's not too late for you to change it a little. Oh and were are the clouds?***

Just a joke but it will be nice if the color was lighter

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Whats the performance hit like?

Likely minimal / unnoticeable on any hardware that has sufficient VRAM to hold the larger textures.  Sampling from a larger texture isn't much more expensive than smaller textures; it is all fill-rate at that point.

That is assuming they didn't increase the actual vertex count / terrain detail levels.  More verts to process would likely have a larger impact than higher res textures, but even then, should be minimal on any decent hardware.  The icing on the cake is that currently KSP leaves large portions of the graphics subsystem idle most of the time, so a few more verts to process shouldn't impact much either.

35 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

OH AND WERE ARE THE CLOUDS :(????

QFT

43 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It was a joke!

:)  QFT = 'Quoted for Truth'.

Joke or not, it is past time that stock included some sort of clouds on atmospheric bodies.  They look a bit silly without them, likely even moreso with improved ground textures.

5 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

:)  QFT = 'Quoted for Truth'.

Joke or not, it is past time that stock included some sort of clouds on atmospheric bodies.  They look a bit silly without them, likely even moreso with improved ground textures.

If/when they do get around to clouds, Duna is one of the bodies I'm not expecting to see clouds on so much.

Kerbin, Eve, Laythe and maybe Jool would be nice to see them on though.

Looks really nice! But the rover (or its wheels) not moving up and down with the now visible surface details is a bit silly. I know it would require a lot more processing for that level of detail (not to mention possible wheels/landing legs kraken), but that doesn't stop me from wishing it was there...

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Likely minimal / unnoticeable on any hardware that has sufficient VRAM to hold the larger textures.  Sampling from a larger texture isn't much more expensive than smaller textures; it is all fill-rate at that point.

That is assuming they didn't increase the actual vertex count / terrain detail levels.  More verts to process would likely have a larger impact than higher res textures, but even then, should be minimal on any decent hardware.  The icing on the cake is that currently KSP leaves large portions of the graphics subsystem idle most of the time, so a few more verts to process shouldn't impact much either.

QFT

I'm guessing any performance hit is more likely to come from more complex shaders, not so much texture resolution. Though, probably still won't be much of a difference, these are all likely to be relatively simple shaders, as everything else in KSP is.

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

I ask as the mod that increases surface textures has a quite noticeable performance hit. And if there is no real difference in performance why not make the new texture the default one?

Edited by Majorjim!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.