Part shading/texturing help?

I recently tried my hand at making models for KSP. Perhaps I should've started with something simple, but I decided instead to model an intake similar to that of an F-100 or Super Mystere intake. When I load it in game, there are no issues preventing it from working, however there are issues with the part's texture and shading.

First, the texture. I attempted to adapt a stock texture from the circular intake, but it's always too dark. I did the UV mapping using the stock texture file, then in Unity I set the material to KSP/Diffuse. I also tried redirecting the texture path to the stock texture, however whether I have the texture path redirected or not, it looks like this. 

gZtEk2a.png

Second, the shading. Aside from the texture being off, the shading looks like it's fine in the editor, at least to me. However, outside of the SPH/VAB, the shading is noticeably off.

62gdlXM.png

zfX32zK.png

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! I'll also take any advice on the quality of the model itself too; this is my first part and my first time modeling something in Blender, and I'd love to improve it if I can!

6 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@BrawlerAce Can you please post a picture of the model in Blender? Also, please try pressing the Recalculate Normals button in Blender.

QnnwJAK.png

EI7Vs8c.png

I tried recalculating the normals both ways (I'm using Blender 2.8, where it's been changed to two options, recalculating outside and inside), and it still looks the same ingame. I created this model basically by making a cylinder, then editing one end to create the intake. Let me know if you need any more screencaps.

• 2 weeks later...

The airplane parts mostly use the specular KSP shader, which may be part of it; otherwise make sure that your outside surfaces are actually all marked as being outside. If you use the diffuse-only or specular+bump version, they will probably shade slightly differently.

I'm not sure what value they use for shininess, though; as that is a fixed value in the shader.

Edited by Electrocutor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.