Restoring the Goo and Science Jr.

From what I've seen, the only ways to restore the Mystery Goo and Science Jr. parts are either to have a scientist go on EVA or to use the lab. But this is a problem.

I want to send a science probe on a one-way trip to Eve's surface. Maximizing the science I'll get will require doing experiments in high atmosphere, low atmosphere, and on the ground/ocean. (I've already done a manned Gilly round-trip mission, so there's no more science to get from space.) This probe will have a barometer, thermometer, seismometer, atmospheric pressure scanner, Science Jr., and Mystery Goo. However, AFAIK the only way to get science from the 3 biomes I want to is to have 3 Science Jrs. and 3 Goos. But that's very heavy!

Is there any way to solve my problem, besides stranding a scientist on the purple planet?

You can learn to build an Eve return vehicle, one of the most difficult tasks presented by stock KSP.

Since the problem with Eve is gravity and atmospheric pressure, the mass of parts is less of an issue on the way down.  I'd just throw three of each on and go for it.

That's one of the (too-few IMO) restrictions of using probes. There really is no way to reset them without a Kerbal present.

It's mitigated somewhat in that you don't actually need so much science that you have to go for Eve surface stuff. If you really want it, I'd personally send 3 of everything. They're not THAT heavy, and are surely lighter than the fuel and engines required to get back off of the world.

I agree with the others. Landing a lot of mass on Eve is pretty trivial. Parachutes are highly effective. Go ahead and triple up on the experiments -- there is no way around the "reset" problem for Goos and SciJr's.

8 minutes ago, bewing said:

I agree with the others. Landing a lot of mass on Eve is pretty trivial. Parachutes are highly effective. Go ahead and triple up on the experiments -- there is no way around the "reset" problem for Goos and SciJr's.

Is there a way to reset them by hacking the save file?

10 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Could a MM patch remove the restriction?

Edit: Yup.  Patches for Material Bay and Goo Container in spoiler.

Spoiler

@PART[science_module] {
    @MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment] {
        rerunnable = True
    }
}

@PART[GooExperiment] {
    @MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment] {
        rerunnable = True
    }
}

Edited by Geonovast

44 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yes, though you need to transmit or store them in the little science storage box first.

40 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Could a MM patch remove the restriction?

Yes. I believe all that would be necessary is to add "rerunnable = True" to them.

I wouldnt consider 2 additional Science Jr. and Goo canisters as heavy. (200kg + 50kg each)

No need for a much heavier engine and fuel - even a single drogue chute will slow down the probe to safe speed - compared to a landing on a body with no atmosphere.

Why return the scientist to Kerbin?

You have several choices...

You can do the science at each of the biomes and radio back what you can and then leave the Kerbal there along with the rest of the unneeded junk. 

You can do as above but leave him in a small base and promise yourself you'll rescue him eventually.

You can return a small probe with a science container to Kerbin to maximise the science you gain, again leaving the scientist behind.  

As other say send 3 of each. 
However if you just lick the upper edge of the atmosphere you can do sience in the upper atmosphere and return to Gilly with the data. 
Don't go deep 1 kilometer is more than deep enough. 
Heating here is not an serious issue either. 

18 hours ago, jfknyc said:

From what I've seen, the only ways to restore the Mystery Goo and Science Jr. parts are either to have a scientist go on EVA or to use the lab.

That's correct.  There's no way to reset them without a crew member present, by design.

Maximizing the science I'll get will require doing experiments in high atmosphere, low atmosphere, and on the ground/ocean.

Sure, that makes sense.

However, AFAIK the only way to get science from the 3 biomes I want to is to have 3 Science Jrs. and 3 Goos.

Correct.

But that's very heavy!

Not really!  Three Science Jr. plus three goo canisters is under a ton.  And if you're on a one way trip down to the surface, that's super easy and takes very little dV.  You just arrive on your trajectory from Kerbin, aerobrake with a heat shield, and then pop a parachute-- very small, because Eve's atmosphere is so thick that a little bit of parachute goes a long way.

So, launching a one-ton payload on a one-way trip from Kerbin to Eve's surface doesn't take much dV at all, should be pretty straightforward to build.  It's only about 1 km/s of dV from LKO, i.e. less dV than it takes to land on the Mun.

Is there some special reason why that much of a payload is a problem for you?

[EDIT] Whoops, had it open in the editor for a while and missed seeing your response above before I posted.  Never mind, and good luck!  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.