JNSQ Space Race

Dressian, what is holding you back from loading JNSQ? Is it just the lack of a KSP 1.7.3 version due to your being unable to access it on Steam? Or missing a 1.6.0-specific Kopernicus? Hm, so just your Steam account being inaccessible. I take it you've been through Steam Support on this matter.

Hm... what kind of trouble could I get into providing a 1.6.1 release to someone who has a working 1.6.0?

If it's OK, I'd suggest letting folks continue with the original plan of doing this in the JNSQ system. Or have two leaderboards. 

One last thing: Do we have a preferred or required rule set for KCT? There are several presets and some of them negate time requirements on some things.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Which KCT rule set? Or is is up to us?

So, if everything goes to plan, and I manage to get JNSQ running, probably after Gordon Fecyk has provided me with said release, (this is being kept private) then we will use JNSQ. As for KCT, I have tested the modset we'll be using, but in the stock system to check it all works, and I used the default preset, and everything seemed good, so we'll probably use default

Dressian National Rocketry Association

385nrg.jpg

We are on the way to conquer space! Now, where did I put the snacks?

Spoiler

38asi4.jpg

DNRA'S first launch consisted of a Taerobee upper stage bought from Kermurca, and a custom-made first stage made from parts loaned to them by the Commonwealth Rocketry Establishment-(Amazing mod, @Beale!).

38asvu.jpg

The launch was looking hopeful so far, the CRE first stage held up well, and the spin stabilisation looked like it was working.

38at2i.jpg

And then came the tricky bit, but stage sep was successful. Many Dressian engineers unclenched their teeth at the sight of the clean separation. And the Taerobee second stage carried on.

38atlo.jpg

Eventually though, the second stage burnt out and the nose detatched, the science was done and the chute was primed for recovery.

38atqf.jpg

The parachute unfurled and the science was safe.

38aty6.jpg

*Recovery teams kissing the craft not pictured*

And that wraps up the first launch of the Dressian National Rocketry Association.

Edited by The Dressian Exploder
It's CRE, not CRA!

Alright. Going to install the stuff now and choose mods, probably going to keep it leaning towards mostly stock parts though.

Also I know nothing about JNSQ so it will be an adventure, and boy do I love adventures!

Notebook Space Program

sLRIRri.png

Can't really think of a good backstory right now, might later.

Another question, are the expansions allowed?

Also, JNSQ supports Kronometer, which adjusts the ingame clock to match the new day lengths (since JNSQ is bigger than stock).

We either all need to have it or all need to not have it because we need to use our ingame clocks to compare.

For now I will leave it uninstalled but I think if we all could get it, it would be good.

Now partway through the install process.

Also, have you had any problems with career evolution contracts pack? It was last updated for 1.3, four major versions ago.

And are the recommendations for KCT (list of recommended mods in CKAN) required? One of them is a failure mod and a few of them can seriously alter gameplay if installed or not installed.

I'm leaving them all uninstalled except for KRASH (simulation mod) until I get a reply.

11 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Another question, are the expansions allowed?

Yes. Definitely.

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Also, JNSQ supports Kronometer, which adjusts the ingame clock to match the new day lengths (since JNSQ is bigger than stock).

We either all need to have it or all need to not have it because we need to use our ingame clocks to compare.

For now I will leave it uninstalled but I think if we all could get it, it would be good.

Now partway through the install process.

Also, have you had any problems with career evolution contracts pack? It was last updated for 1.3, four major versions ago.

And are the recommendations for KCT (list of recommended mods in CKAN) required? One of them is a failure mod and a few of them can seriously alter gameplay if installed or not installed.

I'm leaving them all uninstalled except for KRASH (simulation mod) until I get a reply.

Kronometer is a really good idea, so I think it'd be great if we all got that, but I've already done 2 launches (one of which you've seen) so I'd suggest we all do our first 2 launches and then install Kronometer. 

I haven't had any problems with career evolution, but if you encounter any, PM me or ask for support on the thread. 

The KCT reccomendations are by no means required or necessary. If you use a failure mod, then I will be applauding you all the way. Dang(it!), failure mods must be really annoying sometimes.

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I would suggest increasing the number of milestones significantly. 20 can be achieved by landing a probe on each moon and sending a Kerbal to orbit (plus a few other easy ones).

How about 40?

385nrg.jpg

Look mama! I made this rocket all by myself! What shall I call it?

Spoiler

38cbca.jpg

DNRA's first named launch was a great leap forward from the previous 'Taerobee Heavy' and kerbals stood goggle-eyed at the stark contrast between Gaia-1 and the rocket before. Mostly it was just rocketry nerds, but still!

38cbea.jpg

Then they ran to escape the deafening noise of the SRB first stage as it rumbled off the pad.

38cbfx.jpg

The side boosters ran out of fuel very quickly and were discarded just as fast. Eventually the first stage would have the same fate. This resulted in perhaps the first image taken on a rocket launch. (I installed KSCExtended if you couldn't tell.)

38cbkl.jpg

A little more burning from the upper stage and the craft reached space. Milestones were awarded, and science was done.

38cbl9.jpg

The re-entry seemed a little hectic, but the chute opened up and carried the precious science down to Kerbin.(That sunflare is awesome BTW)

38cbnn.jpg

And the flight was another success, gathering science from beyond the Kerman Line

Recovered Y1, D28, Non-Kronometer.     Milestones this launch: 1. Total Milestones: 1

Gaia II is already under construction.

NOTE: You don't have to have only one launch in a post, that's only what I'm doing rn

Also, I'm installing Kronometer (and DiRT, but that's not needed.)

56 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

My next launch has been flown, just waiting for peeps to make their moves so I'm not flooding the thread with my flights

Flood incoming.

I did my first several flights without kronometer so I'll try to convert the dates (although I think day length is actually the same as stock?). Will post sometime soonish.

34 minutes ago, KerbalKore said:

Day length is 2x stock

Alright, so I'll divide everything by two.

Side note: KCT goes with build points per second, not per day, so I don't have an unjust advantage in that respect. Science is per day and has been doubled for my first several launches, but TBH it unlocks so fast that it wouldn't have mattered if it was at half speed.

Mods:

Stock+both DLCs for parts

A bunch of informational mods

The required mods

A bunch of visual mods

(to sum it up)

Basically, keeping towards stock parts because I haven't in a while.

So here we go!

Notebook Space Program: Days 1-26

sLRIRri.png

Spoiler

On day 6, the Upwards 1 was launched. Its mission? Go upwards.

GkMf0lY.png

It only went a few kilometers up, but it was a resounding success.

6rRpxsS.png

It proceeded to crash next to the launch pad. It completed the first flight contract.

DqTGAoL.png

The next mission wasn't until day 14, and it was a plane. It was decided to build it in the VAB rather than the SPH because of the VAB's better build rate.

The plane was called the Faster 1, and it was piloted by Jeb. Its mission? Go faster.

Specifically, to break the sound barrier, and get some science from a few biomes.

tCW8OOE.png

Jeb decided he had enough fuel to go to the island airfield, which is actually a very long ways away in JNSQ.

GVa06wT.png

Afterwards he flew back. He reached speeds of above 600m/s and completed the sound barrier contract.

JriyFob.png

One day later, on day 15, the science experiments had been removed and replaced with mystery goos. Val flew the plane around for a few minutes getting some science, while also checking out the monolith. The mission was called Faster 1a.

On day 19, the Upwards 2 was launched, again trying to go upwards, specifically into the upper atmosphere. It was a two stage design.

2SdofXk.png

aqA9NEV.png

Still spin stabilized, as we haven't unlocked controllable probe cores yet.

ewOmySN.png

We just meant to go to high atmosphere, but we have overshot by a bit...

At this point, I ran into an annoying feature of the progression system. Many of the contracts must be completed in order, so despite going to space, I don't get credit for it because I hadn't gone to the upper atmosphere yet. Nevertheless, it did reach the upper atmosphere, and much science was gained, so the mission was still successful!

t5SyUTJ.png

Parts of it even survived re-entry!

I don't have any pictures of the launch vehicle, but on day 22, Upwards 3 was launched with the intent to go to space and come back with goo samples of the upper atmosphere and space.

IVDK4Bw.png

This it did successfully, also demonstrating our new controllable probe core (but without reaction wheels).

ZeXEr6e.png

At this point, the next logical step was putting something into orbit (requiring more delta-v than in stock) so that's what I tried.

On day 26, the sideways 1 was launched. It's mission? Go sideways.

G5mt7Yx.png

The first stage was powered by 4 LV-T5's I think, they come with the tech tree mod as early game engines (again not sure, I think). The second stage was an LV-T10, and so was the third.

Unfortunately, well, the LV-T5 doesn't gimbal and nobody thought to check until after liftoff.

37jYidS.png

PFo7pN2.png

But hey, parts of it survived!

Times are all in Kronometer time.

Milestones by day 26: 4. First flight, upper atmosphere (unmanned), Karman line (unmanned), sound barrier (manned).

I should have gotten the return from space award, but they have to be in order and I'm playing a bit ahead of the expected progression.

I suppose I better start doing something. :)

Agencia Espacial Kanada, through Day 21.

bwGtcEF.png

Wadda mean, 'six days?'

This stuff doesn' jus' appear from nowhere, eh?

We used t'make the Mun in six days! Minmus in ten!

Not my idea, knob. That Dressian hoser made us use KCT.

Ya well, this' some race, eh? Like watchin' grass grow.
An' speakin' of knobs, ya better have a few o'dem StayPutniks waitin' fer dem soundin' rockets.

Don' worry hosehead. We'll get ya yer science.

You better, eh? Or Wernher'll be angry.

Mission log so far:

Spoiler

Day 6: Gathered first scientific data from Kerbin (Temperature scan, Launch pad).

Day 11: Launched first sounding rocket, hit 6.9 km. Completed First Launch (Stock) and First Launch Uncrewed (Milestone).

Day 16: Upgraded Mission Control to Level 2

Day 20, Hour 11: Launched second sounding rocket, hit 119 km (!) Completed Escape Atmosphere (Stock), Upper Atmosphere Uncrewed (Milestone), Karman Line Uncrewed (Milestone). Gathered lower and upper atmosphere Temperature Scan and Pressure Scan.

Day 21, Hour 11: Launched third sounding rocket, hit 129 km. Forgot to accept Suborbital (Uncrewed) but we'll get that next time. Gathered low space science Temperature Scan and Pressure Scan.

This first video has all of the gameplay, but not all of the music, subtitles, and commentary I wanted to add. I ran out of time. But I'll replace the video later. I'll complete this post for now and add the pre-commentary version as soon as it renders and uploads.

The completed first video is now uploading!

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Replaced video with current edition

385nrg.jpg

Dressia can into orbit! Here we... oh.

Spoiler

38ljr9.jpg

Again, a huge step up for the DNRA. Using Tantares parts we bought of Krussia, Gaia II was perhaps the largest craft launched so far, although NSP's Sideways 1 was a similar size with a similar Launch date. DNRA are willing to line the rockets up side by side to see which is bigger.

38ljys.jpg

The problem that comes with being huge is that you also lift off very slowly. Due to VAB limitations, as the other large, capable buildings of KSC extended were being used as party halls for the FSP, DNRA engineers were unable to abide with the ancient Kerbal method of Moar Boosters.

38lk6a.jpgNonetheless, the rocket flew, (barely) and the first stage was separated. The second stage had started its climb earlier than anticipated, and thus the many Dressian Kerbals were worried Gaia II would not be going to space today.

38lkbt.jpg

And alas, it was not to be. The second stage lacked the necessary thrust in the lower-ish atmosphere, and aerodynamics is a cruel mistress, like gravity, and the second stage could do nothing but slowly tumble out of the sky.

38lkgd.jpg

splash.

38lkht.jpgBut the hope of Dressian engineers cannot be crushed so easily, and already the construction of Gaia III was underway, hopefully to iron out the kinks of Gaia II's failure.

Y1, D20, Kronometer time. 1 Launch, Failure.

Edited by The Dressian Exploder
Time

I'm interested in submitting a run. I have some questions:

*What's the KCT config in use?

*What difficulty settings are in use? 

*Is there a mod blacklist/whitelist?

*I normally play with USI LS/MKS and Oh Scrap! for additional difficulty. Should I remove them for this challenge?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.