JNSQ Space Race

Just now, KerbalKore said:

I’m glad your rockets look like rockets instead of eldritch abominations now :P

Tech has finally caught up with what I want to do, but what I want to do is soon to outgrow current tech, so the rockets are going to get a bit more abominable I'm afraid!

Agencia Espacial Kanada through Day 39

bwGtcEF.png

Yes, we want you complete these building contracts. Yes, we want you to tell us what great job-creators we are. Yes, we want to avoid getting the SQ's attention...
- - François Kerman, Year 01 Day 35

Spoiler

Day 37: Uncrewed high orbit return (milestone), Return from Kerbin Orbit complete (stock), Polar Orbit Satellite (milestone)

Day 39: Crewed upper atmosphere flight (milestone), first flag at home

That's nine milestones done by Day 39. I'd love to try to optimize this later.

Notebook Space Program: Days 115-124

sLRIRri.png

A station and a top secret project...

Also I installed restock

Spoiler

In the middle of the night on day 116, a spacecraft (referred to in leaked documents as SNTL L-1) was launched with minimal notice on a variant of the standard lifter, but with five cores instead of 3.

InzD3av.png

HDQ2Xjn.png

No pictures of the launch were released besides this. Some have speculated that this is a large spy satellite, something with the capability to maneuver over many targets, or even a "Rods from God" test system...

The next day, on day 117, Returner 1 was launched on board a new abomination of a launch vehicle.

vrSC1yP.png

Its mission was to go to the Mun and return science from the surface to Kerbin. Since we didn't have fuel lines yet, the rocket had several distinct stages. The first stage was three boosters with 2 soyuz engines and 2 verniers each from the expansion.

The second stage was three more boosters with 1 soyuz and 2 verniers each.

qbvi3rS.png

The third stage was 3 boosters with 1 LV-T45 each, and the central core was, I think, the same.

Ggs2OMn.png

The trans Munar injection stage fired.

The next day, on day 118, we rolled out Onwards 3, a Minmus probe that we had not ended up needing and likely never will need, as it is incredibly outdated, still using thuds on the first stage and spaceleys on the upper stages. Time for some fireworks!

h0FyKoT.png

VEvHQIC.png

KQa7xeY.png

Then (the date has been lost) Returner 1 landed on the Mun.

kg5qsyR.png

pOSZZoZ.png

It then lifted off again, having collected science, and got on a trajectory that would take it back to Kerbin.

On day 123, the core of Nebula Station was launched. As the name suggests, it's a space station. Nothing too special, just a place for people to stay for a while. Also, KerbalKore has launched one and has another one in the works, so we need to get one going!

However, in more leaked documents, Nebula Station Module 1 was referred to as SNTL N-1. Hmm.

tbSDxV0.png

XLwM0hh.png

Due to a poorly planned ascent profile, Nebula Station almost didn't reach orbit, but it managed to limp there. It could only hold 2 Kerbals, but it also held an FL-T800 tank, 8 solar panels, several docking ports, two antennas, control, batteries, a reaction wheel I think, and a propulsion system.

ryehEDL.png

Eventually, slightly charred, it maneuvered to its nominal orbit.

At this point, a message was transmitted to Jeb and Val, who were still in their docked Star 5 and 6 spacecraft. The public portion of the message said to go to Nebula Station to conduct research. However, it appears someone let something slip during a press conference and accidentally referred to Star's 5 and 6 as S-1 and S-2.

No further comment was made, even when asked.

tF4kobT.png

So now we have S, N, and L... One may wonder, where's the T, and what even is SNTL?

oZR6Jvp.png

Val and Jeb enjoyed their new home, although for the time being it is quite small. They set to work doing a few on board experiments (theirs had long since run out, as they had been in space for 14 days now!)

BeHuSOs.png

The next day, on day 124, a smaller rocket was launched with Nebula Station module 2 as its payload. No documents were leaked this time, but one could theorize that it was called SNTL N-2.

jJBfKoK.png

It was the station's observatory module, an upgraded plane cockpit, used for the visibility.

DBLqkjY.png

The view from the docked module.

A stunning announcement was made by NSP officials that very day, although likely not related to project SNTL.

dFKcsJr.png

A replacement for Star was finally arriving - a partially reusable winged vehicle that could carry three people to LKO. It was called the Hammer shuttle, and the first landing test, in orbiter #1 "Grabthar," piloted by Katbrett Kerman, took place on day 124.

g4Cn5jK.png

The craft performed very well, landing back on the runway in one piece.

The orbiters would all be named after characters that wield hammers. Four names, including Grabthar, have been planned.

No details about the other names, or even how Hammer would be launched, were made available at the press conference.

Actually no milestones this time unfortunately.

Agencia Espacial Kanada through Day 46

bwGtcEF.png

Hey, hoser.

What?

Come 'ere fer a bit.

No way, eh?
Yer jus' gonna stuff me in a pod an' shoot me in t'space.

This' jus' an... inspection. Ya.
Ya need t'inspect inside this cone.

Ya right, "this cone." That's a mark one pod.

OK, but we need someone who sounds more like a scientist, eh?

This better not take long, eh? If yer gonna shoot me up in t'space at least bring me down quick!

Spoiler

Also Day 39: Geostationary satellite (Milestone)

Day 40: Crewed Karman Line (Milestone), Crewed Orbit (Milestone), low space EVA reports, high space crew and EVA report

Day 44: Mun flyby (Milestone), discovered stupid solar panel limitations (grrr)

Day 45: Two kerbals in orbit (milestone)

Day 46: Level three Mission Control, Launch Pad, Runway

Thirteen milestones done by Day 45. Or I may have lost count. I'll have to review the save file.

Laythe Initiative, D117-D127

Q5xto5p.jpg

Spoiler

On D119, Genesis 4, a Block IIA, was launched on a Sarnus 1 to dock with Tribute 2.

uL7RanX.png

The launch proceeded as planned until S-IV ignition.

rgqGiK9.png

Engineers mistakenly included the ullage motors on the S-IV in the TWR calculations, leaving the stage with a TWR of less than 0.7.

hcY9wtX.png

Thankfully the craft made orbit due to the pilots quick thinking and initiation of a pitch up maneuver.

wRkjUhu.png

The rendezvous burn was performed excellently by the crafts 4 Daleth-K-5-75 "Bahdal"s. (AKA AJ10-118K)

K6I8pJl.png

The above photo was taken by Lanman Kerman, around 200 meters out.

zYNFsjP.png

Docking was achieved just before Orbital Sunset.

N27xrP2.png

Operations commenced after 1 orbit of preparing.

D0vvaci.png

They will stay for 1 week in orbit, before returning.

QKHTVkR.png

The next launch was the first of the long awaited CCTS.

vCnHZUZ.png

The Orbiter was placed on internal power at 6:01:24 UT.

QKHTVkR.png

Liftoff occurred at 6:02:04 UT, with all engines igniting. 

ftdnSVQ.png

Flight phase 1 was nominal, with Abort Mode switching from RTLS to TOL at 6:04:35.

dsxuUnG.png

Phase 2 was nominal as well, with boosters separating cleanly.

VrbC0lX.png

All was well until 6:05:51, when it was realized that there was not enough DeltaV to make orbit.

Pz81l4T.png

Trans-Oceanic Landing was initiated, but the near orbit that was made (90 x -103) made the entry highly energetic.

onudxXz.png

The trajectory made a landing impossible, so the payload (the Explorer Radiation Telescope) was dumped before entry to minimize risk.

9OuhhqC.png

The Orbiter reached subsonic above the ocean, so Ansby Kerman, the only crew on this test flight, bailed.

LDFqU1Z.png

He landed safely, but the Orbiter was destroyed on impact with the water.

09KJR77.png

Revisions are under way to make the system more powerful and more reliable.

GNy4Vlo.png

Ark 7 was launched to accomplish the mission Ark 6 had to be redirected from. It was the backup craft to Ark 6, and was launched on D122.

A5kgBbk.png

Launch was successful, with the Vejur stage circularizing.

NmZBeD0.png

Transfer was finished by the lander itself, as is the design in Ark Lander Buses.

0WFvbyT.jpg

Munar Orbital Insertion was nominal.

ZlXJyAL.jpg

It landed in the Munar Lowlands, and took dirt samples, as well as ran the standard instrumentation.

First Major Disaster

First Crew to Tribute 2

First repeated Mun landing.

I also installed KS3P.

Spoiler

Plans are underway for a crewed Munshot...

1jhVe9s.jpg

(Constellation style!)

Notebook Space Program: Days 124-137

sLRIRri.png

Sentinel 1

Spoiler

With the epic rage of furious thunder, a spacecraft named T-1 launched on a standard five core lifter on day 124, representing the "T" in SNTL, or Sentinel.

rUBXOaI.png

gljuvXH.png

The fairing broke away to reveal the T-1 itself, a very spartan looking ship.

2p2XNWu.png

But what exactly was the T-1?

A press conference was held shortly after the launch regarding the Sentinel program.

fh9jkX0.png

The S stood for Star (in the future the S will stand for Shuttle), the N stood for Nebula, the T stood for "Transfer ship," and the L stood for "Lunar lander."

That same day, Jebediah and Valentina went on EVA from Nebula Station and boarded the T-1 spacecraft.

kBZ7BSZ.png

The spacecraft burned much of its fuel to reach a trajectory that would bring it on a Munar flyby.

xdBA00x.png

While the Sentinel-1 mission was en route to the Mun, the Returner 1 spacecraft safely returned to Kerbin with Munar science.

TO8Fh12.png

In orbit of the Mun, the crew rendezvoused with the L-1 spacecraft which had been launched as a rocket with a top secret payload on day 116. The docking occurred on day 129.

jW9WHxN.png

The crew transferred over and began their descent to the Munar surface.

dCFw5Dn.png

The landing was a complete success, even managing to land near a DLC crater! Some science was done, rocks were collected, pictures were taken, and then unfortunately it was time to go home.

kTzKHJN.png

L-1 and T-1 docked once more.

T-1 is designed to have enough Delta-V to take two Kerbals and an FL-T200 tank's worth of fuel from LKO to low Mun orbit and back. The fuel was transferred to the lander, filling it either all the way or most of the way back up.

uFCx1Wk.png

Sometime between day 129 and day 134, module 3 of Nebula station was launched, a habitation/docking port module intended to provide proper clearance for the hammer shuttle to dock with the station. The fin and cockpit bubble would be an obstacle if using a normal port.

sO3T6LR.png

1vt7eMU.png

Unfortunately, the T-1 ran low on fuel on the way home and had to aerobrake. The Kerbals nearly died, so seats will likely be reconfigured if we launch a T-2.

uunhvQ4.png

Jeb and Val redocked to Nebula Station, only a tiny amount of fuel remaining. They got back into their Star spacecraft and de-orbited.

KYQNp8y.png

After 25 days in space, they are safely back on Kerbin!

Cl5bvvW.png

That same day, the Nomad 1 launched, probably the most clustery rocket we've built yet.

vJ5EVlM.png

uIhDmKv.png

Its mission was to fly by Moho.

Q8z02X1.png

In order to do that, it needed a LOT of Delta-V, but fortunately it was up to the task!

The next day, on day 135, Returner 2 was launched. It was essentially a repeat of the Returner 1 mission, but for Minmus.

iems1kC.png

tA0FYRm.png

On day 137, the long awaited launch of Hammer-1 took place, using orbiter 02 "Thor." On board were Katbrett, a veteran of the landing test, and Duke, a new hire.

3IivhYB.png

The two SRBs detached and fell away.

HFMBRbZ.png

Once in orbit, Thor docked to Nebula Station to demonstrate docking capabilities. Unfortunately, there were issues with left/right translation not working, which will be fixed in the future. The docking spacer is working as intended!

85FvkEu.png

Re-entry proved to be perilous, with the cockpit nearly blowing up a few times. Extra heat shielding will be installed for subsequent missions. I forget if I have a probe core on that or not, but if I don't I should add one.

lhQYcgg.png

Due to lots of training, Katbrett managed to come down in the general area of the space center. Hammer was being a bit brick-like, however.

5fA9ab4.png

Despite two problems, one very critical, orbiter 02 "Thor" touched down safely on the runway!

29 milestones have been completed, but the manned mun landing one hasn't actually been done yet because I had to do Mun orbit first. No matter, though, I'm going back to the Mun!

Edited by Ultimate Steve

4 minutes ago, KerbalKore said:

Congratulations on the manned moon landing! Not much science can be carried though, can it?

Thank you! There's enough room for the materials bay, a goo, and whatever mini science experiments I have unlocked. If I install KAS to bring new experiments, the only science I can't really get from the lander is a crew report. Assuming I bring a scientist, I can reset them and do multiple biomes, but due to fuel margin this would really only be useful for Minmus.

Agencia Espacial Kanada through Day 46... and a half:

bwGtcEF.png

Yer turn, hosehead.

What? No way, eh? I ain't gettin' in there!

No? Don' wanna be stuck in th'same room as Valentina?

Geez, hoser that's even worse!
What if Eri found out? She'd be-

...ok. Val?

What?... No! Hands off! Take off...!

Spoiler

Day 45: Two kerbals in orbit (milestone)… properly.

I reloaded a slightly earlier save to appease the SPKQ. :) Beauty.

Agencia Espacial Kanada through Day 54:

bwGtcEF.png

On a lonely planet slowly spinning its way into damnation, amidst the incompetence and utter carelessness of lesser space programs, one teams stands resilient against the herds-
[Trademark infringement detected - Trademark redacted]

- - Unattributed speech from the launch of [redacted] One, Day 46

Spoiler

Day 53: Fly by Minmus Uncrewed (milestone)

Early morning of Day 54: EVA (milestone), Seven Days in Orbit (milestone), Rendezvous (milestone)

What was supposed to be a rescue ended up being three milestones in one. Beauty!

Laythe Initiative, D127-D149

oAEA9sS.png

Spoiler

3jrvFiZ.png

Ark 8 was launched on Day 127. It was an attempted sample return, but transfer went wrong and sent it to a highly elliptical orbit. It landed safely, but the upper stage had no attitude control, and crashed into the Munar surface on day 137.

889d8vA.png

Its descent stage is still there.

nJCoEGZ.png

On Day 128, the crew of Tribute 2 Expedition 1/Genesis 4 undocked from the station and returned to Kerbin. they completed the 1 week in space contract.

MSxhUBZ.png

They landed just off the coast of the space center.

ShFNgDl.pngOn day 132, the Kerbolar Observatory made a science transmission.

NIvTV0E.png

On Day 134, the Adventum mission was launched on a Bossart II, with 4 Dioscuri-MGU27A "Perseir"s.

UbDTs2j.png

Its payload was a combined Lander/Rover.

ukfKotr.png

It landed on Day 139.

KieHAxQ.png

#vikrammoment

mcDQ7jm.png

It landed in the completely wrong area for the contract, but near some cool rocks.

oAEA9sS.png

Lunar Genesis 1 was rolled out to the pad on Day 139. Its target was a Munar orbit and return.

u5Evpew.png

It launched on Day 140. Its crew was Ansby and Mitsby Kerman.

iSFMMmE.png

Once orbit had been achieved, the Inon G' inside the fairing was ignited to send it to the Mun.

Z6tmCIj.png

Lets just say the craft was slightly overpowered. They landed on Day 144.

fE2KLD2.png

While they were in transit, CCTS-2 was launched, carrying Enfrod as the crew, and Tito Kerman, a tourist.

RPANhOs.pngAll went well, until landing. But any landing you can walk away from...

ZgPr9XS.png

On Day 143, the Kerbolar Observatory burned to lower its periapsis.

AJ52ZPT.png

The new periapsis is just inside the orbit of Moho.

8hkReiu.png

Several sample gathering EVAs were performed by the crew of Lunar Genesis 1, as they prepared for liftoff.

Ml3jbMD.png

They made it, with almost no margin. The Lunar Genesis program is undergoing many redesigns.

7yZpTcJ.png

The ISTO was launched on a Bossart IIAS, on Day 149.

NNtO8DA.png

It's target was a Dres flyby.

YhKSk3k.png

While its technology was still in its infancy, it can have up to 3600 Isp, at only 8 KW of power drain! (Assuming 1 EC/s is 1 KW)

First (Second) Mun landing.

First Ion craft.

First Mun rover, but not the contract.

xRzdumK.png

Due to the Initiatives idea to include more companies, Goliath National, Kerbodyne, and the Experimental Engineering Group proposed the "David" reusable SSTO to carry the next module to Tribute 2.

I completed the 20th milestone over last weekend, but I wanted to end the video with some charts showing everyone's progress. I'm having trouble interpreting everyone's time stamps in this thread.

If it's OK, would you all post a simple table indicating what (Kronometer if possible) day you achieved your milestones? It doesn't matter which specific ones were done, just (10th on day x, 11th on day y, etc). Or update your replies with dates for each one? Some I can get from screen shots but others I can't see for some reason.

Or if nothing else send me a copy of your save? I can look at all of the CONTRACT_FINISHED entries and get the time stamps in UT seconds. If it comes to that I'll make my save available as well.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

If it's OK, would you all post a simple table indicating what (Kronometer if possible) day you achieved your milestones? It doesn't matter which specific ones were done, just (10th on day x, 11th on day y, etc). Or update your replies with dates for each one? Some I can get from screen shots but others I can't see for some reason.

That would be a good idea. I'll take a look when I get home. Good thing I kept all my screenshots!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.