X-37B

Kerbal01

On 5/7/2017 at 5:30 PM, magnemoe said:

Is I the only one who see two weird things here.
2) the off center engine 
1) the guy with a reflex vest as only protection behind the others with hazmat suits and bottled air :)
Yes he is probably in another organisation, airport rater than the X37 team. 

They didn't give him a suit to fix the COM! ><

• 2 years later...

The current X-37 mission launched on Sept 7, 2017. That's 709 days ago. The previous mission lasted 717 days.

So in about a week, the current mission could become the longest so far. But if they wait about another month they can pass the two-year mark. I wonder if they will.

I read that they use the EDL capability to adjust their orbit, as well. Ie: burn at apogee to lower perigee slightly into atmosphere, use aero forces to alter orbit, burn at new apogee to raise perigee.

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I wonder if any emergencies could be salvaged in such a way

Once you get a vehicle capable of EDL from orbit, it seems like that opens all sorts of novel mechanics usually off limits for "pure" spacecraft (emphasis on the space part of spacecraft).

5 hours ago, tater said:

I read that they use the EDL capability to adjust their orbit, as well. Ie: burn at apogee to lower perigee slightly into atmosphere, use aero forces to alter orbit, burn at new apogee to raise perigee.

The Sec of Air Force said something to this effect, but observers have claimed that there is little evidence it has been done.

10 hours ago, tater said:

So, definitely a combat ship. Recon/bomber, changing the inclination to pass above a random target. If it did it with engines, it would require tons of fuel.
Probably not an interceptor, as the orbit must be too low to have a target there.

Though, a small one, so can't spread gliding or ballistic warheads by this maneuver, unlike Buran or Shuttle probably could do / were purposed to.

Unlikely a carrier hunter, as not so much carriers for him to hunt.

So, either a recon, or an anti-submarine bomber. Probably the first, but maybe both.

P.S.
Still sure that highly likely has a warhead mockup onboard to study its degradation in orbit. Otherwise why stay there so long.

Edited by kerbiloid

50 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Still sure that highly likely has a warhead mockup onboard to study its degradation in orbit. Otherwise why stay there so long.

Pretty sure you can test this with an ICBM. And it's probably been done or at least studied already.

My guess would be a satellite interceptor. If there's anything to intercept that would be spy sats. The plane has an arm so I can easily imagine using it to knock some sats around.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

ICBM doesn't spend years in LEO conditions.

Because:

1. (AFAIK) Orbital ICBMs are banned.

2. They don't really need to.

I'm really not sure why anybody would test this kind of ICBM scenario.

5 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Iirc this spacecraft also has like 4.5km/s of Delta V so It could go around the moon if it wanted to.

It's not doing that but it would be cool.

It's surprisingly a lot. Fueled by UDMH, IIRC?

6 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Because:

I mean, if I was X-37B, I would have a disabled real warhead onboard to ensure it stays operational after years in LEO, because what if in future the treaties get gone.

I guess, 4.5 km/s it can have if fill its cargo bay with fuel instead of cargo, i.e. a theoretical upper limit.

Mass ratio for UDMH = exp(4.5 / 3.3) ~= 4:1

6 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Because:

It's surprisingly a lot. Fueled by UDMH, IIRC?

Nuclear subs are better than orbital deployment. 
The Soviet nightmare was an US first strike with their very accurate Ohio's  from the arctic edging Russia, time this with stealth bombers. 
Yes obviously violating national borders doing an nuclear first strike, kind of make it illegal but who would you complain to :)

Most likely some long term exposure tests they want to keep secret.
Second is trolling seeing how well the shuttle trolled Soviet. Here is an large troll. 

I'd assume the primary use is recon. A reusable vehicle can provide interesting options---iteration, for example. As a testbed, you fly novel recon tech, then you can land it, and tweak it, and try again. Of course if they were iterating, I would have expected shorter duration flights (because each flight is an  innovation opportunity).