A journey through the center of the Mun. A glitch adventure report.

Tw1

This I call an episode of Accidentally going to Space 

I was surveying for my Mun city, and adjusting some terrain on the mun using kerbal konstructs, and accidentally lifted the ground above the kerbal's head.

YpeHCrH.png

I decided to see where this would go. It  speeds  were moderate at first:

nG1oSOO.png

But a few minutes later, as I approached the core, things really picked up.

lYzl2X6.png

Note the Gs KER is reporting.

IfWEUms.png

Suddenly, the direction fliped. We'd flipped round the core, and were now shooting out the other side.

LEyoMcj.png

I was thinking he might impact on the surface from below, but that did not happen, weather because that's not possible, or we were just going  to fast. But nope, Lanbro was rappidly making his way to the stars.

R6XlHhD.png

I soon discovered I could not timewarp at all. Or leave the space center. I checked the log, and it didn't yield anything I found useful

gij0lTf.png

Interestingly, all along the game treated him like he was ragdolling across the surface. I had little control over his actions. According to the EVA report, he was in Kerbin's desserts. 
 I assume because he's now considered landered, but in the Kerbin soi

3yFq5xc.png

Eventually, I got bored of waiting with nothing new happening, and no time warp - so I called it in and looked at the F3 details. Take a look at those Gs.

o1ej2ci.png

And so, I have a proposal for you. Mine down to the core of the Mun. Maybe Kerbin Even. Start dropping spacecraft down there. The planet cores could be a source of infinite delta V.

Or perhaps repeat the experiment with something that has instruments. 

Edited by Tw1

1 hour ago, Tw1 said:

This I call an episode of Accidentally going to Space 

Only you... :) 

1 hour ago, Tw1 said:

And so, I have a proposal for you. Mine down to the core of the Mun. Maybe Kerbin Even. Start dropping spacecraft down there. The planet cores could be a source of infinite delta V.

Or perhaps repeat the experiment with something that has instruments. 

Back in the High And Far Off Days Of Gods And Heroes, I had some Kerbals fall into the then-common gaps and cracks in the ground of various planets, the 1st by accident, the last dozen or so on purpose.  My experience was very similar to yours to start with but all "volunteers" actually hit the core and died.  Attempts to miss the core using a jetpack were unsuccessful due to the Kerbals being ragdolled.  So I'm thinking you managed to miss the core due to not falling straight down somehow.

14 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Only you... :) 

Eve never bothered me anyway ♪

14 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

My experience was very similar to yours to start with but all "volunteers" actually hit the core and died

That's interesting. I can remember clipping through the surface in the old times,  and seeing the old glowing inside bit. But I'm not sure the core is still a collidable object. The other thing I've noticed is the glowing bit is long gone.

And now, on with the experiment.

On the outskirts of Prograde City, assistant base manager Seetop Kerman has set up a special probe: 

A kerbal stands on the mun, buildings, a big rover, and a sputnic like probe are on the ground ahead of him. The probe sits on it's antenas as legs.

After he, and his Kerbmobiletm have retreated to a safe distance, it's time to begin the experiment

Same location as previous image, but a mound of ground has been raised above the probe

This time, I'm logging data. The deeper we go,  the higher the gravity gets.

yau89EK.png

The result was the same as last time. Soon, we were out past the orbit of Minmus.

37mEOoQ.png

Here's a graph of the result.
Note the spike in G force when we pass the singularity makes the gradual increase before it imperceptible. but it happened, and possibly would form an exponential curve if zoomed in.

vTHbZdJ.png

However, this had the same limitations as before. Next, I repeated the experiment but instead of raising the land, I lowered it, to what should be below the core.

6EnvP8t.png

I also made a better probe, narrower, and with the right antennae, should it become the next voyager. 

uBv2fwc.png

But close to the core, I hit the side of the ground.

Q3N0oJO.png

I tried to make it bigger. Previously, I could not see the hole. Might have been to small, might have been to do with reloading, but anyway check this out:

zjVQi3f.png

But, as you might have suspected, it comes to a point at the core.

D6z6kct.png

I wondered what would happen if  removed the ground edit, and just left it under there. But being in the "in space low/suborbital state", the game concluded the vessel had crashed. 

hG70wkd.png

This concludes the experiment. Turns out in KSP,  you cannot create a singularity launcher with planet editing. 

Edited by Tw1

9 hours ago, Tw1 said:

That's interesting. I can remember clipping through the surface in the old times,  and seeing the old glowing inside bit. But I'm not sure the core is still a collidable object. The other thing I've noticed is the glowing bit is long gone.

Still, not a fun place to go.

9 hours ago, Tw1 said:

Note the spike in G force when we pass the singularity makes the gradual increase before it imperceptible. but it happened, and possibly would form an exponential curve if zoomed in.

I'm pretty sure that spike is the centrifugal force from making a U-turn of nearly zero radius around the singularity while travelling at ludicrous speed.

9 hours ago, Tw1 said:

...but anyway check this out:

Hahaha, that looks awesome ;) 

9 hours ago, Tw1 said:

This concludes the experiment. Turns out in KSP,  you cannot create a singularity launcher with planet editing. 

Well, that's somewhat disappointing but also probably for the best.  I salute the brave Kerbals who took part in this experiment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.