Bizzare game crash while at the North Pole

Hello. Tough to describe this in just a few words. In career mode; I had progressed very far, earning lots of cash and science and reputation. Sent a Kerbal to the North pole to get some science. After planting a flag, weird graphics started happening. Near the flag a spinning pinwheel appeared; it was bluish-pinkish color, triangular, pointy, pinwheel shaped. I tried to get the Kerbal to grab or touch it, but couldn't. It just hovered, spinning near the flag. I then panned the camera around to look at the landscape. Looking directly North, not far from the North pole a spinning sphere appeared. It looked like the sphere in the VAB that shows center of mass, but was bluish color. I watched it for a while. Moments later the game and system crashed, not a blue screen crash or freeze, but it completely and instantly shut down, black screen, machine turned itself off. I rebooted, restarted game but the save I had been in was empty of data, no persistent file, nothing. I lost it all. The saved name file was listed but I couldn't open it. No quick saves, all gone. Was this a Kraken? I've not had any other problems with the game. My system is very robust, new machine, Win 10, with lots of ram and power, no mods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.