Remote control Mk1 lander can

Hey!

Second question on the forums for me!

I'm aware that it is possible to remote control probes from a ship containing 1 or 2 pilots, a relay antenna and a probe control point. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I wanted to do though on a mission to the Mun was to have a command pod in orbit around the Mun and send a scientist down in a Mk1 lander can. I thought I by equipping the lander with an antenna would be able to access SAS and the other pilot skills - if not from the KSC, at least from the command pod in orbit containing a pilot.

So I guess i have to questions:

1. I thought it was sufficient for manned crafts to have a connection to the KSC for them to have SAS available. Why is this not the case for my Mk1 lander can Mun-lander?

2. What does it take to be able to remote control a manned lander from a ship orbiting the planet/moon in question?

Thanks in advance!
God speed

1.  Only Pilots give SAS ability.

2.  You have two options:

a.   Add a probe core to the lander.  Even without signal, the scientist will be able to fly it with SAS from the probe core

b.  Add a CH-J3 Fly-By-Wire Avionics Hub - with signal back to KSC, that allows non-pilots to have SAS

4 hours ago, Spaceten said:

I thought it was sufficient for manned crafts to have a connection to the KSC for them to have SAS available.

Nope, that has nothing to do with it.  You either need to have a pilot on board, or else you need to have an SAS-capable probe core or the avionics nosecone.

Comms back to KSC does matter if you want to be able to use maneuver nodes.  Pilots can always set maneuver nodes, but non-pilots can't unless there's a comms link back to Kerbin.

Anyway.  All you need to do is put an SAS-capable probe core on the lander, and it'll work fine without needing any pilot anywhere.

10 hours ago, Snark said:

Nope, that has nothing to do with it.  You either need to have a pilot on board, or else you need to have an SAS-capable probe core or the avionics nosecone.

Comms back to KSC does matter if you want to be able to use maneuver nodes.  Pilots can always set maneuver nodes, but non-pilots can't unless there's a comms link back to Kerbin.

Anyway.  All you need to do is put an SAS-capable probe core on the lander, and it'll work fine without needing any pilot anywhere.

Alright, is that what "remote pilot assist available" means in the description of the Mk1 lander can - that maneuver nodes are available with connection to the KSC

Also, are maneuver nodes available for a scientist manned lander with only a connection to a mother ship with a pilot on board?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Spaceten said:

Alright, is that what "remote pilot assist available" means in the description of the Mk1 lander can - that maneuver nodes are available with connection to the KSC

Yes, or another "Probe Control Point", see below.

34 minutes ago, Spaceten said:

Also, are maneuver nodes available for a scientist manned lander with only a connection to a mother ship with a pilot on board?

Only if the mother ship has a valid "Probe Control Point". This could be e.g.: a MK1-3 Command pod with two pilot Kerbals in it and a relay antenna. More details are here: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Probe_Control_Point

12 hours ago, Snark said:

you need to have an SAS-capable probe core or the avionics nosecone

Newer used that avionics nosecone, what's the difference compared to a probe core (I did check the respective wiki page, still clueless, sorry)?

2 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Newer used that avionics nosecone, what's the difference compared to a probe core (I did check the respective wiki page, still clueless, sorry)?

The Avionics Hub gives the full suite of SAS options (referring to prograde/retrograde, target/anti-target, manoeuvre node holds, &c.) but it is not a probe core, so though it offers SAS capability, it does not offer control.

In other words, the Avionics Hub is almost a sort of upgrade so that your untrained pilot, non-pilot, or low-grade probe core can use all of the SAS options, but it cannot use those options itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.