Getting back into a POD and electric rotors

ashenfang

Two part question -

When using a taller lander (pod on top of fuel tank with lander legs), How do you get the Kerbal to reboard? Is it always necessary to incorporate a ladder?

Second Question -

With the new addition of electric motors, how do you active/throttle these? For the life of me, I can't figure this part out. For testing, I have put together a POD, battery, electric rotor with props but there is no "activation" with the space bar as you would a normal rocket engine. Right clicking on the rotor doesn't give any options for "activating" either?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ashenfang said:

When using a taller lander (pod on top of fuel tank with lander legs), How do you get the Kerbal to reboard? Is it always necessary to incorporate a ladder?

Depending on the local gravity and atmosphere - they may be able to jump or use their maneuvering pack.  But yes, generally to climb tall vertical surfaces you use a ladder.

9 hours ago, ashenfang said:

Second Question -

With the new addition of electric motors, how do you active/throttle these? For the life of me, I can't figure this part out. For testing, I have put together a POD, battery, electric rotor with props but there is no "activation" with the space bar as you would a normal rocket engine. Right clicking on the rotor doesn't give any options for "activating" either?

They aren't as simple as that.  Rather than try to explain it myself - because I've only tinkered with them - check out this post by @XLjedi

14 hours ago, DStaal said:

Depending on the local gravity and atmosphere - they may be able to jump or use their maneuvering pack.  But yes, generally to climb tall vertical surfaces you use a ladder.

Yes, you need ladders on the high gravity bodies, Kerbin, Eve, Laythe and Tylo on others you can use the eva pack. 
Note that on the medium gravity ones. Moho, Duna and Val you might want an short ladder to aim at, ladders are also realistic. 

For large ships its an tricks. You can put an small capsule at bottom of ship, enter it and do crew transfer up. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.