Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I believe, as far as we know, it will release on PC first, then on Xbox One and PS4 a bit later. Mac/Linux are up in the air right now.

Uh oh! I don't do Windows anymore. (Except at work where I have to because we're Microsoft partners and all.) I guess I'll have to wait for the Linux version.

Another question: Will plasma blackout be reworked to allow preprogrammed control/TDRSS style communications coverage? It's a pretty cool simulation element, but as it is in KSP 1 it's not exactly possible to satisfyingly circumvent like it is IRL. 

48 minutes ago, Hex3 said:

The only problem I could see coming from this game is a lack of mod support. It looks way more advanced technically and has built-in online multiplayer, so hopefully that doesn't mean people won't be able to create mods...

As others have replied, mod support has been confirmed (it's in the FAQ on page 1 of this thread).

My concern is lack of modder support. The base KSP1 (and DLCs) is a great, fun game. However, I feel, it was the mods that really helped elevate it to its current position. I can't imagine playing without some essential mods, such as Kerbal Engineer or Precise Maneuver.

I really hope the devs have a plan for engaging modders and pre-seeding alpha/beta releases and related tools to some of the top modders so they can get a jump on things and provide feedback on the APIs, tools, and other components used.

Question, can I setup networked PCs for a single session like flightsim? I want to build my enclosed landercan mk1/2!  Eg Master PC to run the game, slave PC to run high-end graphics, 2nd slave PC to run instruments?

Will we get free movement in IVAs? I want to wander around my colonies.

Will there be life support (perhaps as an option or difficulty level)? Basic water, food, air, and wastes like TACLS?

Will those nice new terrains be back-ported to KSP1? What is the development plan for KSP1, anyway, considering it sounds like KSP2 will let us do the same things as KSP1 plus more?

Three questions:

Where's the catch?

Will the new star systems be customised/curated or procedural? Either way, you've pretty much killed multiple star planet packs

How many star systems?

Apologies if someone has already posted this, but PCGamer has published an interview with KSP2's Creative Director, Nate Simpson. https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-interview/

There are a few good tidbits here:

• Some screenshots of what looks like Alpha footage.  Not quite what we saw in the trailer (though I'm still hoping we can get some high end features enabled) but definitely an improvement over the previous game.  Still looks like KSP, but we can see some new terrain features (powered by a new terrain generation system, apparently) and improved lighting and effects.
  • Confirmed that there will be some level of colony management.  You will establish new colonies by dropping HABs onto the planet's surface or in orbit, which can build out an grow as your population increases.
  • Colonies will also be able to support VAB's, allowing you to build and launch ships on other planets or in space.  Presumably this is represented in the trailer by the giant nuclear ship we saw around Jool.
  • No Warp Drives, but there will be interstellar travel.
  • There will be a new building editor, which will allow you to specifically design structures, though the designer will not simulate full gravity until you exit, so expect some non-code construction projects to blow up in your face.

Between the interview and the website, it sounds like we also will have some advanced resource mechanics.  Overall, it sounds like it's a much bigger and better version of KSP, built from the ground up to support new features rather than trying to bolt them on to an existing platform that may not be able to handle it.  This sounds most un-Kerboly, but is undoubtedly a sensible course and I'm very excited for it.  

I'm just here for the hype.

Does anyone have a box of tissues they can spare? I just destroyed one box weeping over how glorious the new game looks like it'll be.

KSP 1 rekindled the love for space that I had as a child, and I am looking forward to falling in love all over again.

OMG, I think I'm going to start crying again.

I am rather upset that us console players have in the span of three years received a broken game, and a re-release with 3 updates that still haven't helped the performance of the game. 

So I apologize if I'm a little skeptical about this new game, given the less than stellar track record for consoles. Plus it's another $60 on top of the previous $50 I spent in which I still don't have a fully working game. 

Let's just hope this new release for consoles actually gets the attention it needs and doesn't stagnate. 

3 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

I am rather upset that us console players have in the span of three years received a broken game, and a re-release with 3 updates that still haven't helped the performance of the game. 

So I apologize if I'm a little skeptical about this new game, given the less than stellar track record for consoles. Plus it's another $60 on top of the previous $50 I spent in which I still don't have a fully working game. 

Let's just hope this new release for consoles actually gets the attention it needs and doesn't stagnate. 

It looks like it will support PS4 and XBox One, and if it's being built from the ground up, it should avoid the pitfalls that made porting to console so difficult to start with.

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

Please, no microtransactions, no lootboxes, no pay-to-skip timers, no predatory monetization schemes...

I think they confirmed that's not happening... Can't seem to find it tho