Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

15 minutes ago, Cogiflector said:

My guess would be that KSP1 mods will be largely irrelevant in KSP2. Likewise, KSP2 mods will probably be largely irrelevant to KSP1. 

Depending on what's actually in it, we might get some old mods recreated as new.
Some mods came about to fill gaps, some to add stuff. IDK about this sort of coding, but I wonder if at least some parts could be recycled into new mods.

So I was arguing with this guy... telling him something trying to explain things. And then he suddenly typed. All in caps: KSP TWPO WUIT?! (Translated from Russian, orthographically correct.)

As an admin of a big Russian fan community, I think I speak for every Russian KSP fan: WAIT REALLY?! FREAKING YES!!! KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM TWO! Oh my gawd... Pinch me coz I'm definitely sleeping!

No really, I had this exact feeling: I'm definitely sleeping. Can't be. Omg.

Then an avalanche of emotions fell through, described mostly in beautiful Russian obscene language I can't post here. You got me.

Colonies. INTERSTELLAR FLIGHT... Parts-rich spacecraft... Omg.

Thank you guys. YOU MADE MY DAY. And week. And more.

Live long and prosper! And HUGE thanks to Squad for the original game!

Edited by atomontage

52 minutes ago, LitaAlto said:

I'm just here for the hype.

Does anyone have a box of tissues they can spare? I just destroyed one box weeping over how glorious the new game looks like it'll be.

KSP 1 rekindled the love for space that I had as a child, and I am looking forward to falling in love all over again.

OMG, I think I'm going to start crying again.

Or the new Space Race has made KSP popular as well. We can thank Elon Musk and his contraptions for that...

9 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Haha

>Can't even fix bugs for Linux, Mac, and console version

>Let's just make a sequel

Thanks Take Two, I love you guys

Well, building a new engine without having to worry about existing things will probably make fixing some issues WAY easier than fixing those things while maintaining the current game.

I just hope they keep Linux-support for KSP2.

37 minutes ago, tater said:

The terrain features need to have colliders, too. Worlds are not detailed enough at the spacecraft scale. If you can land plane most places, the terrain is done wrong.

You can terrain activate colliders in KSP 1, in the options. BG DLC features already have colliders.

Remember folks, "The Outer Worlds" from Obsidian games.. they said all over their blog posts and developer forums "We're not going epic games exclusive" for months and even a year leading up to it. And then suddenly one day "Oh we're going to be releasing on epic games suddenly", which also by the way.. The Outer Worlds uses Private Division for their publisher, the same publisher for KSP2. Outer Worlds also has a steam store page and everything, yet now today the steam page for The Outer Worlds is still there, and just says "The Outer Worlds will be available on Steam one year after launch on other exclusive digital PC platforms." Just because they are saying today that KSP2 won't be an EGS exclusive doesn't mean jack. Hold your breath until the game is actually released.

Edited by kithylin

I was interested in this title, even with the Take 2 connection. (They own Private Division, and after the past few weeks, are on my "Never touch again' list.)

But then I started to dig into the Star Theory Games... Who claim on their website to have created Monday Night Combat... Which was created and owned by Uber Entertainment.

Uber Entertainment has dropped their last few games off in really bad states. (Never mind dropping Super Monday Night Combat in a really bad spot, and just going hard on their 'new' kickstarted game.)

And now they name changed and have access to this IP.

Sorry Squad, but until they acknowledge they are or aren't, I'm not willing to touch this with a 50 foot pole.

I got in the car for my ride home, fired up the forum on my phone, saw the banner and had to double take: Wait, what!?!?!?  Hells to the yeeaaah!

Ride home took an hour due to construction, but still didn't quite finish reading this thread (which started just after my last break ended).

I hope it includes some KAS functionality.

You mean I'll be able to be StrandedonSuperEarth? 

The pictures were such a tease. Now excuse me while I finally go watch the trailers. I'm sure it will be...

raw

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Also KSP2 will be using the same tired, 6+ year old Unity engine that KSP1 uses. So expect 6-7 year old graphics for the new game and there's no possible way the cinematic trailer will be anything close to in-game graphics. 

Just now, kithylin said:

Also KSP2 will be using the same tired, 6+ year old Unity engine that KSP1 uses. So expect 6-7 year old graphics for the new game and there's no possible way the cinematic trailer will be anything close to in-game graphics. 

No offense but you have no idea what you're talking about

"Welcome to Kerbal Space Program 2. After nine eight years in development, hopefully it will have been worth the wait."

That's a very detailed trailer. The prospect of such things as stock nuclear pulse and fusion rockets is most intriguing. Makes me wonder about the direction the game will go. Less focus on the tribulations of space travel and engineering problems, and more on space-life and management, I suppose? Could be quite a different game to KSP1, with both games coexisting in different niches.

Male Kerbal eyes are placed a bit low; they look slightly derpy, like the characters from the ancient visual novel Kanon.

I have some questions that may be decisive:

1° In ksp2 will I be able to walk inside the ship?

2° With simulated gravity?

3° Will I be able to access internal and external controls manually and electronically?

4° Can I walk the hull of the ship?

5° Get in and out of the cargo bay and walk to the cockpit?

If the answer to these questions is yes, it is worth every hard earned penny spent on purchasing this game.

2 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Technical question: is KSP2 developed with the legacy GameObject Unity architecture, or with ECS/Jobs?

KSP isn't a thousands-of-similar-objects game, so ECS wouldn't add much.

7 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

No offense but you have no idea what you're talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

"Initial release    June 8, 2005; 14 years ago"

First page in this very forum thread, right here, in the FAQ: KSP2 will be using Unity.

They could be using Unreal Engine 4, or Lumberyard, or CryEngine V, or any other modern game engine. But nope, 14-year-old Unity.

Edited by kithylin

2 hours ago, politas said:

Will/does KSP2 require the same science grind from early rocketry, or will we start from a substantial tech base?

Grind???? You take that back!  But seriously, give yourself some starting science if you don't like it.

I want to be enthusiastic about this.  But I have concerns.  I uninstalled KSP when Take Two changed the EULA, and I haven't seen anything to say they've really backtracked on what I found unacceptable.  And Private Division seems to be really, really big fans of getting that sweet Epic money for Epic Store exclusives.  It seems pretty likely that they'll do that again here.

But maybe I'm wrong, and it'll be fine.  And if not... well, maybe I'll take a look in three years when it's finally available from Steam and GoG.com, and it's on sale.