Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

1 minute ago, Catatau_27 said:

1° In ksp2 will I be able to walk inside the ship?

Someone actually made a mod recently that lets you do this in KSP1, but I forgot the name...

Just now, kithylin said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

"Initial release    June 8, 2005; 14 years ago"

First page on the forums here, KSP2 will be using Unity.

And one line below the text you quoted - "Stable release: August 14, 2019; 4 days ago"

I work in Unity literally every day, so I can say with good authority that it will not hold back KSP 2.

2 minutes ago, Waz said:

KSP isn't a thousands-of-similar-objects game, so ECS wouldn't add much.

Yes it is? Ships are made of many (thousands of) parts, each of which is simulated individually in the physics engine. ECS/DOTS enables multi-threaded physics, which would drastically help the performance of the game.

I’m just gonna add my concerns to the heap.

I’m really worried that there will be microtransactions or some other “live service” mulch, which is holding me back from being excited. It’s been stated that there’s no in-game currency or loot boxes, but that still leaves the possibility for direct (even if cosmetic) microtransactions in a $60 game, which would be a horrendous prospect. DRM is also another concern for me, having one of those “I can neither confirm nor deny” sort of answers. One of the best aspects of KSP as a program (rather than a game, loads of much cooler stuff there) for me has been its portability, allowing me to have multiple installations that I can tinker with, run offline, whatever. I’d love to be able to do that with the new one.

I’ll never preorder a game, but if these two issues turn out not to be, then I can say it’ll almost certainly be a day-one purchase for me. I want to be excited, I want this to be what everyone here didn’t know they were hoping for. It has the potential to be, absolutely! It looks brilliantly suited to that even from the first day of releases. I just don’t want to see a brand I love screwed over by Take-Two. Please, Star Theory, please let me buy this game. I want to, I really do, but I can’t if these fears are realised.

I don’t really care what engine it is using, as long as they are able to fix the issues in KSP 1 that are commonly attributed to “Unity”, either because Unity fixed it or they were able to overhaul the engine to fix it themselves. 

In a way I am actually somewhat happy they are using Unity because at least there won’t be a whole slew of new Krakens to contend with. 

3 minutes ago, cyberKerb said:

I already knew it, but I'm literally walking inside the ship, and not floating inside it without any gravity pinning me to the ground, if I can walk inside the ship normally as I walk in Kerbim it's already worth the financial investment, $ 60.00 on my country is almost 160.00 so it has to be very worth it ..

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

In addition, I'm a fan of exploring for its own sake. Achievements cheapen that, to me.

I agree. They couldn't come up with achievements for half the crazy stuff we've done, so why force anything on us. KSP's openness and lack of prime objective reflects the sentiment of real space exploration - Nobody's telling us to go, it's just there.

And hey, if you ever need any music, I'm happy to help!

1 minute ago, Catatau_27 said:

I already knew it, but I'm literally walking inside the ship, and not floating inside it without any gravity pinning me to the ground, if I can walk inside the ship normally as I walk in Kerbim it's already worth the financial investment, $ 60.00 on my country is almost 160.00 so it has to be very worth it ..

i don't think you can walk like that without strong artificial gravity, which is far far future in terms of kerbal technology we know.

7 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

I’m just gonna add my concerns to the heap.

I’m really worried that there will be microtransactions or some other “live service” mulch, which is holding me back from being excited. It’s been stated that there’s no in-game currency or loot boxes, but that still leaves the possibility for direct (even if cosmetic) microtransactions in a $60 game, which would be a horrendous prospect. DRM is also another concern for me, having one of those “I can neither confirm nor deny” sort of answers. One of the best aspects of KSP as a program (rather than a game, loads of much cooler stuff there) for me has been its portability, allowing me to have multiple installations that I can tinker with, run offline, whatever. I’d love to be able to do that with the new one.

I’ll never preorder a game, but if these two issues turn out not to be, then I can say it’ll almost certainly be a day-one purchase for me. I want to be excited, I want this to be what everyone here didn’t know they were hoping for. It has the potential to be, absolutely! It looks brilliantly suited to that even from the first day of releases. I just don’t want to see a brand I love screwed over by Take-Two. Please, Star Theory, please let me buy this game. I want to, I really do, but I can’t if these fears are realised.

Out of likes, so consider this a like.

DRM that obstructs having multiple installs would be a huge bane to modded exploits. I have easily two dozen KSP installs with different modsets (although I seldom finish playthroughs) and if we were restricted to one that wouldn't be great.

This could be negated with an option to switch mods (akin to switching gamedata folders) upon startup. Maybe sort of like what the Minecraft launcher does.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I agree. They couldn't come up with achievements for half the crazy stuff we've done, so why force anything on us. KSP's openness and lack of prime objective reflects the sentiment of real space exploration - Nobody's telling us to go, it's just there.

Also agreed!

15 minutes ago, Sunclover said:

I want to be enthusiastic about this.  But I have concerns.  I uninstalled KSP when Take Two changed the EULA, and I haven't seen anything to say they've really backtracked on what I found unacceptable.  And Private Division seems to be really, really big fans of getting that sweet Epic money for Epic Store exclusives.  It seems pretty likely that they'll do that again here.

But maybe I'm wrong, and it'll be fine.  And if not... well, maybe I'll take a look in three years when it's finally available from Steam and GoG.com, and it's on sale.

No, steam page is already up. https://store.steampowered.com/app/954850/Kerbal_Space_Program_2/

5 minutes ago, cyberKerb said:

huzzah for multi threading and letting KSP2 use the capabilities of a fully operational Death Sta.. *ahem* ...PC

By the way KSP1 is already multi-threaded. At least building in the VAB is. Launch physics are still single core after 7 years of development and likely never will be multi-threaded. The new game is still using unity. So no multi-threading for physics either. Today's current version of unity still yet doesn't support that either.

Just now, kithylin said:

By the way KSP1 is already multi-threaded. At least building in the VAB is. Launch physics are still single core after 7 years of development and likely never will be multi-threaded. The new game is still using unity. So no multi-threading for physics either. Today's current version of unity still yet doesn't support that either.

This is false. https://unity.com/unity/physics

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

I'll repeat again: That doesn't mean anything. Other games have had steam store pages and still went EGS Exclusive at the last moment before launch. Just because KSP2 has a steam page, and they say today that they will not be exclusive to Epic, doesn't mean anything. The same publisher for KSP2 already has a history of releasing other games on EGS exclusive in the past as well. 

I really hope to see realistic n-body Newtonian gravitation physics like in Principia mod. Now vessel physics is very poor and casual. I'd like to play with Lagrange points and advanced gravitational maneuvers. 
Hope you will add it to KSP2.

19 minutes ago, kithylin said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)

"Initial release    June 8, 2005; 14 years ago"

First page in this very forum thread, right here, in the FAQ: KSP2 will be using Unity.

They could be using Unreal Engine 4, or Lumberyard, or CryEngine V, or any other modern game engine. But nope, 14-year-old Unity.

By this logic, Unreal Engine is 21-year old crap. Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about. Unity 2019 is vastly different to Unity 3 upon which KSP1 was initially built.

1 hour ago, ResonantWaves said:

I'm surprisingly sad (and not because I just bought the first one a couple months ago.)

KSP is not meant to have a sequel. It is a neverending game of amazing possibilities. Skip the trailer hype and what have you got? A shameless perversion of KSP's spirit, made with sci-fi glitter and beautiful music to distract from the the fact that Squad's masterpiece isn't Squad's anymore but a cash grab from T2, exploting the game's 'persevere and succeed' originality in the name of Benjamin Franklin's cold hard dollars.. I'm sorry for being so cynical but this is too much. 

I see the argument you're making, but in their defense they are really running up against a wall with the existing physics engine.  Unity can only be pushed so far.

We joke about the bugs and "the Kraken", but when you get down to it, they are really serious issues with the game that were never addressed.  By switching to a new engine built from the ground up they are going to be able to get much more accurate physics. Which for a space flight simulator is pretty important.  KSP will always be there, and be a good place to start for learning the basics of orbital mechanics.  But I'm really looking forward to learning more about full N-body mechanics.

1 minute ago, Iamsodarncool said:

That page only says that Unity supports HAVOC. Supposedly KSP can't use GPU-Accelerated physics engines at all due to how it's physics is calculated. That page does not say anywhere on that entire page that they support Multi-Threaded CPU Based physics at all. If you're going to post something, try and make sure it's accurate.