Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

1 minute ago, kithylin said:

I'll repeat again: That doesn't mean anything. Other games have had steam store pages and still went EGS Exclusive at the last moment before launch. Just because KSP2 has a steam page, and they say today that they will not be exclusive to Epic, doesn't mean anything. The same publisher for KSP2 already has a history of releasing other games on EGS exclusive in the past as well. 

my dude, the official staff has repeatedly replied that ksp2 will launch at steam, just search the forum.

1 minute ago, kithylin said:

That page only says that Unity supports HAVOC. Supposedly KSP can't use GPU-Accelerated physics engines at all due to how it's physics is calculated. That page does not say anywhere on that entire page that they support Multi-Threaded CPU Based physics at all. If you're going to post something, try and make sure it's accurate.

I don't know anything about this, but how the physics are calculated may have been changed. It is a ground-up rebuild I think.

Just now, kithylin said:

That page only says that Unity supports HAVOC. Supposedly KSP can't use GPU-Accelerated physics engines at all due to how it's physics is calculated. That page does not say anywhere on that entire page that they support Multi-Threaded CPU Based physics at all. If you're going to post something, try and make sure it's accurate.

To quote from that page:

> Built on top of the Unity C# DOTS framework, it is network-ready, completely customizable, and built for performance out of the box. Whether you're building the next mobile hit or a new networked multiplayer console experience, Unity Physics leverages the Burst compiler and Job system to scale across a range of hardware.

DOTS, the Burst compiler, and Job system all mean multi-threading. Also, I have personally programmed multi-threaded physics simulations using this tech, so yes it's multi-threaded.

If they're still using chained constrained rigidbodies to model craft I would not be optimistic about multithreading the physics calcs for a single vessel. Some problems thread well, others don't. It's not just a matter of flicking the multithreaded switch when compiling. 

5 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

my dude, the official staff has repeatedly replied that ksp2 will launch at steam, just search the forum.

Yes and that's literally -EXACTLY- what happened to "The Outer Worlds". Their staff posted on their blogs and internet forums that they will release on steam. Their developers literally also said they would release on steam. The publisher they used, Private Division even also said they would release on steam. Yet now if you go to their steam page.. they will release on steam 1 year after being in epic's store. So technically they are still going to "release on steam", just later. 

KSP2 may release on steam first, it may not. It's not out yet so no one has any idea what will happen between now and when it releases. So don't assume anything until it has actually released.

Edited by kithylin

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

If they're still using chained constrained rigidbodies to model craft I would not be optimistic about multithreading the physics calcs for a single vessel. Some problems thread well, others don't. It's not just a matter of flicking the multithreaded switch when compiling. 

Except thanks to the incredible work of the people at Unity it literally is, assuming the game is built with DOTS. I know this because I have personally worked with multithreaded physics in Unity.

19 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

... Ships are made of many (thousands of) parts, each of which is simulated individually in the physics engine. ECS/DOTS enables multi-threaded physics, which would drastically help the performance of the game.

That still wouldn't scale to colony-sized part collections, which are better solved by some kind of dynamic welding mechanism. In addition, ECS is still way too new/experimental to be the basis of a game releasing next year. 

14 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Given the track record of games like Metro: Exodus, having a Steam page is no guarantee that it won't go Epic Exclusive.  Metro did it, the Outer World devs were apparently making updates to Steam Achievements literally minutes before Private Division announced it was Epic Exclusive.

It would be nice.  But at this point, I'll believe it when it happens.

11 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

My big hope is for clouds, basic clouds and dust storms 

It better had. <dadvoice>Star.Theory, don't make me come up there!</dadvoice>

Actually, if you need me to come up there, I'll code for free...

Edited by Waz

6 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Except thanks to the incredible work of the people at Unity it literally is, assuming the game is built with DOTS. I know this because I have personally worked with multithreaded physics in Unity.

Have you worked with chained constrained rigidbodies? Multithreaded physics works really well when you have large numbers of independent single collider objects, especially if they're primitives. Link a bunch of colliders together and put limits on the joints and suddenly most of your calcs are dependent on the results of others and the thread management overhead kills performance. 

Not all physics are created equal. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

11 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

The problem here is that it might not be their decision to make. 

35 minutes ago, Waz said:

By this logic, Unreal Engine is 21-year old crap. Seriously, you don't know what you are talking about. Unity 2019 is vastly different to Unity 3 upon which KSP1 was initially built.

[WIP][1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.7.x] Principia—version Ferrari, released 2019-08-01—n-Body and Extended Body Gravitation By eggrobin

[1.5.1+] Click Through Blocker by linuxgurugamer

This is for Unity? @Waz

Edited by Dimentia
adding info

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

At launch, Kerbal Space Program 2 will be released on Steam and other digital storefronts. It won't be a EGS exclusive.

I mean.  Phoenix Point said that too, and here we are.  No offense, but people have a right to be skeptical about Epic Games eating up exclusives right now.

@UomoCapra I have a couple of questions that I know you might not have an answer to, but will ask anyway:

1. Will we still start with an empty solar system, requiring us to do the first few steps like walking on the Mun? Or will the starting point be after that? I think it should allow us to start from scratch.
  2. Are we getting full PBR support with the new engine? I really want to make my parts look shiny and nice.
  3. Any indication on default part diameters or at least, any plans to release that information before the game is out? I wouldn't mind getting to work on some parts right away!

10 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean.  Phoenix Point said that too, and here we are.  No offense, but people have a right to be skeptical about Epic Games eating up exclusives right now.

Optimistically speaking, this statement was made after all those cases happened.

That said, neither players nor developers could do much about that:(, so the option is to take what we would be given i guess.