Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

25 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

They tried it with the first version, a huge failure.

The second version, Enhanced Edition, was good at first but has now completely been abandoned.

How can we even trust that they'll make a decent KSP 2 console version?

It's not Squad that's making KSP2, it's Star Theory Games, a proper game dev studio with two well-made titles of their own. Chances are high that they know how to do things right, specially for consoles, meanwhile, Squad continues to make/support this one, the original KSP, and will not have much of a hand in KSP2's production.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

It's not Squad that's making KSP2, it's Star Theory Games, a proper game dev studio with two well-made titles of their own. Chances are high that they know how to do things right, specially for consoles, meanwhile, Squad continues to make/support this one, the original KSP, and will not have much of a hand in KSP2's production.

Good, SQUAD should hopefully start putting more time into KSP Unfinis.. I er mean Enhanced Edition, that we payed full price for and have been suffering through (still stuck on 1.2 with the bugs). 

3 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

SQUAD should hopefully start putting more time into KSP Unfinis.. I er mean Enhanced Edition

Why would Squad do that, when it's a different company handling the console port?

Squad needs to get busy on the next DLC.

Obvious things I hope will no longer be an issue:

• Anything "Space Kraken" related (Shaking Station Syndrome, spontaneous flinging into the sky at mach 35, etc.)
  • Frame rates going down the tubes with anything remotely ambitiously built

Less obvious things:

• I hope vessels will no longer be represented as a tree (root part, child parts, grandchild parts, etc.) but as an arbitrary undirected graph, so we no longer have to worry about any of that nonsense
  • I hope friction will be fixed (as it is now, nothing can be counted on to stay in one spot on the ground long-term)

My personal wish list:

• Availability DRM-free (yes, that means outside of Steam)
  • Something to relieve the pain of Mod Version Hell

Just now, razark said:

Why would Squad do that, when it's a different company handling the console port?

Squad needs to get busy on the next DLC.

Yes, the DLC that only the PC players can buy and use

1 hour ago, Aghanim said:

My wishlist for KSP 2:

• Its on Steam
  • Linux support
  • Linux joystick support (unlike current KSP where you need AFBW to have joystick support but it used to work)
  • Better input management for mods so that MechJeb, AtmosphericAutopilot, default SAS and throttle, and AFBW and other autopilot mods doesn't fight for the throttle and axis control and no workarounds like a checkbox in AFBW for AtmosphericAutopilot compatibility is needed
  • Ingame keyboard + joystick binding so you don't need to go back to main menu to rebind things
  • Extensible MFDs like RPM or MAS
  • Better modding documentation

Some good things :

• KSPI level interstellar drives (and warp drive too, but if its not there its fine)  and resource management and acquisition
  • First person mode and HUD (both EVA and IVA)
  • Walkable IVA

Warp drive exists powered with exotic matter that seems to collect inside rubber wheels. First it was just a way of not having inflation issues in the vacuum of space. Until there odd super bounciness was harnessed into the k-drive. 

So excited for KSP2 but would add to your list

• Mod management features
  • Active Mod per game selection
  • Embedded peer to peer Mod delivery and updating, it was talked about a long long time ago having a BitTorrenSync  mod delivery system built-in.

These would be great for Multi-player as the host could set an environment for their crew and mod-delivery would take care of making sure everyone has the needed parts to play.

Edited by mattinoz

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Haha

>Can't even fix bugs for Linux, Mac, and console version

>Let's just make a sequel

Thanks Take Two, I love you guys

KSP 2 is being developed by a different company. Squad will still keep working on the original KSP for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, kithylin said:

Also KSP2 will be using the same tired, 6+ year old Unity engine that KSP1 uses. So expect 6-7 year old graphics for the new game and there's no possible way the cinematic trailer will be anything close to in-game graphics. 

The version of Unity KSP 1 uses is from January 2017 (so not 6+ years old, but still pretty old). A lot has changed since then. I'm assuming KSP 2 will use the latest version so it'll get to take advantage of all of the latest performance optimizations, QoL improvements and other features.

Edit: Also, you need to remember that nobody expected KSP 1 to become this big. It started as an experiment and they never expected they'd be adding all the features it now has, so of course a lot of things about it are sub-optimal. KSP 2 likely won't have that problem since it's being developed by an experienced studio from the get-go and is designed from the ground up to have all those features.

Edited by Pixel of Life

7 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We have no announcements for these platforms at this time, but we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many players as we can.

Seems like them must have some idea what platforms they will publish for, and that should be in the FAQ, frankly.

So, after re-watching the trailer, here's everything new I noticed:

0:12 New lens flare? Also clouds but I have my doubts they'll be in the game.

0:24 Some new engine on the orbiter vehicle?

0:48 Landing feet push up the soil a bit. I have doubts about this.

1:03 Valentina looks different, but I can't quite tell how. The hair I think?

1:19 New engine flame appearance?

1:24 Snowflake things falling off the rocket, probably not going to be in the game.

1:25 Sonic boom thing, idk what it's called.

1:28 Gravity-style collision with some part of a space station shattering into lots of little pieces.

1:29 Buildings?! That can't be for real.

1:36 Spinning habitat, new spaceplane parts.

1:38 New surface terrain on Duna, plus the colony obviously.

1:40 New rover parts.

1:42 Nuclear pulse propulsion, looks too good to be true so I have my doubts.

1:43 An asteroid field or planetary rings or something? Maybe this is inside the rings of that planet we see later in the trailer?

1:45 Jool looks way better.

1:47 Fusion-drive spacecraft over Jool, maybe Jool is the only place where you can mine fusion fuels like Helium-3?

1:54 Two volcanic bois. IIRC there used to be a plan to add lava lakes to Moho, looks like we're finally getting them somewhere.

1:56 Another new engine type, plus a new spacecraft module with sparks flying out of it.

1:58 New gas giant, presumably not in the Kerbol system since it has a moon with liquid water.

2:02 So it looks like this is going to be the Laythe of KSP2. I mean, Laythe will still presumably exist but this'll be the next habitable world. Also note that the landmasses appear to be covered in snow.

2:06 Glacial surface terrain.

2:10 Big domes with plants in them. Possibly the largest colony modules in the game.

2:15 All the domes appear elevated above the ground. I can't tell why.

In the end, I'm guessing 40-50% of these things are actually going to be in the game.

What DRM will be in KSP 2 (other than the digital stores it is being launched on themselves)?

Please quote me with information. This is MUCH more important to me than DLC or microtransactions but obviously if microtransactions are in the game then it's going to be chock full of always online DRM. Considering that this game is supposed to be even more moddable than KSP (a bold statement) I highly doubt the existence of microtransactions or DRM but it is very important for me and several others to know for sure.

Also why did the Master Post just get locked?

I had a whole post written up in the other thread and then it got locked, so here's the short version instead:

KSP 2 looks like it's going to be amazing, my day week month year has been made, the cynics and pessimists should be less cynical and more optimistic, and I'm going to go watch that trailer a few more times because it's bringing tears to my eyes and that is a good thing.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

Hopefully with a newer than 2017.1.3 Unity version, KSP 2 will also get multi-monitor support...

Altho, I dont even know why I'm hopeful... My old, potato computer probably wont even be able to run KSP 2 :(

Edited by Stone Blue

53 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

Also clouds but I have my doubts they'll be in the game.

47 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

i wish there would be stock cloud effects

Okay, lack of clouds is one of my (admittedly smaller) pet peeves with KSP. If they somehow manage to make a brand new sequel, on a brand new graphics engine, with new and improved everything, without clouds? I swear, I will hang my head and cry.

I have great hopes for this and truly hope the game will go big in terms of realism many modders have been trying to implement in the original game. Let's not fool ourselves - modders are the ones who kept this project going. They have by far the most credit for it. Do not be afraid to dig into most popular mods for ideas, and don't settle for their mediocre version "because someone might find the thing too difficult". If you had listened to such people all the time,  the game would wilt early in its development.

Go big and bold.

2 hours ago, Atario said:

Obvious things I hope will no longer be an issue:

• Anything "Space Kraken" related (Shaking Station Syndrome, spontaneous flinging into the sky at mach 35, etc.)

I like to think the flinging into the sky at mach 35 is more of a "feature"

AMAZING!!

Very cool reveal, this gonna be a day 1 buy for sure!

Edit, if you haven't watched the dev video and interview, watch those, they clear up plenty of stuff..

Also I could help but notice a VR set and xbox controller on the lead gameplay lady's desk.. I would love better joystick control for flying!

Edited by byaafacehead