Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

Just now, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Private Division is just a different name take 2 uses so they can make the indie game people feel a little bit better. They don't like revealing their name because of their  horrible reputation.

Never thought about it that way, but you are right. 

Also if anyone cares KSP 2 will NOT have clouds. Check the first image on the steam store page, look closely for a cloudless kerbin. Need more confirmation? Second image, no clouds at the launchpad. Scatterer and EVE guys, you know what to do when this comes out.

:D

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

13 hours ago, sarbian said:

First: Yay. Look great and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I have no doubt it will be as mod friendly as KSP 1

Now the really important question: Which Unity version does this runs on ? :D

And as a modder. +100 to this question :) Will they use latest Unity version?

Will they consider multithreading from the very beginning?

And finally I hope they do a beta release for modders so we can start porting as soon as possible.

5 minutes ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Also if anyone cares KSP 2 will NOT have clouds. Check the first image on the steam store page, look closely for a cloudless kerbin. Need more confirmation? Second image, no clouds at the launchpad. Scatterer and EVE guys, you know what to do when this comes out.

Also, here's the Epic exclusive denial evidence, 

Though, like I said, we've heard this before so. 

morton-salt-mine.jpg

(Incase anyone is wondering what the picture is, a salt mine)

7 minutes ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Might be just graphics settings. There is not antialiasing on the screenshots, but there's no reason to assume it won'g be in game. My guess is - the game still struggles with optimization to the point where they can't comfortably take screenshots with better quality settings or they don't have some stuff implemented yet. Also I think the cloud on launchpad on one of the screenshots looks fake - not sure if it's photoshopped or just clouds don't drop shadows yet.

13 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

KSP 2 will be a brand new game with it's own code, so unfortunately KSP 1 mods will not port over, however KSP 2 is will be mod friendly as well :)

@UomoCapra     You seem to be the go to person for some info in this thread, so hopefully you can give some info on modding.

I notice in the development video that 3Ds Max is used (which for me is great to see), and although exporting from this to Unity is nothing but an export, it made me wonder if Unity will be using more of the standard tools and shaders for KSP 2 over the KSP 1 specific add-ons seen with Parttools.

Given you have also mentioned it will not port over, I'm guessing that we won't be seeing the .mu file extension with models, and possibly not even .cfg files being used, but rather other file extensions (which I don't see as a huge issue, if anything it gives more flexibility in the tools that can be used).

Could you shed some light around the modding if you could, if using Unity lights, cameras and shaders or will we be using add-ons such as what parttools was.

Edited by Radar

12 minutes ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Actually, there ARE clouds in the screen shot. Look at the ocean. 

ss_b4bd25ccc6b625bd22a6c7c8ae0244d66048e

14 minutes ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Annoucing a game today for a 2020 release doesn't rule out extras like clouds etc. besides, I see a lot of KSP 1 footage like the planets being used, nothing definitive on any final KSP2 gfx. A lot can happen in 6 months :)

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Annoucing a game today for a 2020 release doesn't rule out extras like clouds etc. besides, I see a lot of KSP 1 footage like the planets being used, nothing definitive on any final KSP2 gfx. A lot can happen in 6 months :)

I saw no KSP1 assets in the Trailer, nor do I see any KSP1 assets in the screenshots, except maybe Kerbin, which does actually have clouds if you enlarge the screen shot. 

Well, all the old planets are there, so it's bound to look like KSP1, in fact, Duna and all the other planets are getting a face lift, so the KSP1 Duna might be upgrading to KSP2 graphics. 

Edited by GoldForest

I know this community hates anybody who doesn’t follow the hype train blindly, but when I first saw the announcement, I honestly thought it an out of season April fool’s joke. Because that’s what KSP2 has always been.

I’m not really sure how to express my thoughts into written words.

It just looks horrible.

And the blind hype for it is terrifying.

Spoiler

I know they have said the Current-Squad is still working on KSP1. In many ways I don’t consider KSP to be out of Beta yet. To some extent I wouldn’t be surprised to see the release of 1.9 just before KSP2's release, which would be a great thing if it helps wrap the game up into a true “1.0”. With that said, I fully expect Take Two to squeeze another thoughtless DLC out of KSP1 right before KSP2’s release.

Alternatively, maybe KSP will end up like the Total War games.

Looking through the feature list it looks like a group of players who have barely touched the game, sat down and thought up the worst possible additions that could be implemented. Multiplayer, colonies, and interstellar travel. A trio of buzzwords. All features that Old-Squad never wanted to add. Features asked for by barely a few dozen players over the past 8 years. I'm honestly not a fan by the direction this game is taking in that regard. It’s not helped by the images on the Steam page, which look like a mix between a Photoshopped KSP and a KSP mod for Space Engineers.

I originally bought KSP for roughly $18USD back in 2012. With over 1660 hours on Steam alone, I’ve more than gotten my money’s worth out of the game. But that is the same excuse that everyone else has used so far to justify the two $20AUD DLCs and $60USD sequel. During those 1660+ hours I’ve had long-term careers cut short due to constant crashing and save corruption. Sub 20 FPS. Constant stutters. Not to mention the broken physics. As the updates rolled in, new amazing features were added. But they also added more headaches and bugs. Version 1.7.3 is surprisingly stable right now, if I ignore how horribly integrated the parts from the Breaking Ground were. But 7 years later, it’s difficult to say that I’ve received a product that is worth $26AUD. I’ve had a lot of fun with the game, but it could have been much better. The game is currently $46AUD on Steam.

Over those 7 years I’ve been waiting for the performance to get better. And it hasn’t. If anything, it’s become worse. I know there is only so much Current-Squad can do with 7-year-old code. You can’t fully expect them to rebuild the game from the ground up for free. At least, you can’t expect Take Two to let them. KSP2 may have significantly better performance. And good performance is a basic feature of every game. But to finally have this basic expectation met, I am expected to hand over $80-100AUD.

This isn’t helped with the lack of gameplay shown. I’m sure more details, including gameplay, will come soon.

Maybe they’ll surprise me by having Kerbin’s soupmosphere on par to FAR’s, along side FAR's other features. Or that the comms network have been updated to be closer inline with RemoteTech’s system. Or maybe all DLC for KSP1 will be in the base game for KSP2. Maybe they will even fix the propellers and rotors. Maybe they’ll even have sound!

But where things stand currently, beyond performance, there is nothing persuading me to buy the game. I’m not asking for a discount or anything. Besides, the hype train would get mad if I did. It would be nice if they did try to persuade me though. But I have no idea what they are offering for $80-100AUD.

Maybe I'm just a bit salty that Age of Empires 3 DE wasn't mentioned at Gamescom. Or maybe it's because I've been down this road before with Bethesda. Remember that time when Skyrim didn't have microtransactions? I do.

I know the basic argument against this is:

Well just don’t buy it then!

-A Gallic air cooler from northern Italy.

And I probably won’t.

I have other games that I’ve neglected for years which I’ll play. And I’ll happily continue to play the sub 20 FPS version of KSP. At least until KSP2 is confirmed to be good.

But maybe they’ll surprise me. Maybe it'll be good. Sadly that's the same maybe I used for Fallout 4.

I'm sure the hype train will be mad regardless.

Edited by Noir

Wow i don‘t know what to think, say or do. I didn‘t even consider there to even be a sequel. I am beyond excited to see where KSP goes, having witnessed its very early stages in 2011. It‘s been an exciting journey and it seems there is no end in sight.

1 hour ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

EVE really is a massive kludge. It's *not* the right way to implement clouds (or more importantly, cloud shadows, volumetric). Deeper engine access is needed to do it efficiently. That means either Star.Theory do it, or they provide sufficiently deep mod support. It's really not that complex for them to do themselves. I wouldn't make assumptions based on screenshots of an incomplete build.

18 minutes ago, Noir said:

I know this community hates anybody who doesn’t follow the hype train blindly, but when I first saw the announcement, I honestly thought it an out of season April fool’s joke. Because that’s what KSP2 has always been.

I’m not really sure how to express my thoughts into written words.

It just looks horrible.

And the blind hype for it is terrifying.

Reveal hidden contents

I know they have said the Current-Squad is still working on KSP1. In many ways I don’t consider KSP to be out of Beta yet. To some extent I wouldn’t be surprised to see the release of 1.9 just before KSP2's release, which would be a great thing if it helps wrap the game up into a true “1.0”. With that said, I fully expect 2K to squeeze another thoughtless DLC out of KSP1 right before KSP2’s release.

Alternatively, maybe KSP will end up like the Total War games.

Looking through the feature list it looks like a group of players who have barely touched the game, sat down and thought up the worst possible additions that could be implemented. Multiplayer, colonies, and interstellar travel. A trio of buzzwords. All features that Old-Squad never wanted to add. Features asked for by barely a few dozen players over the past 8 years. I'm honestly not a fan by the direction this game is taking in that regard. It’s not helped by the images on the Steam page, which look like a mix between a Photoshopped KSP and a KSP mod for Space Engineers.

I originally bought KSP for roughly $18USD back in 2012. With over 1660 hours on Steam alone, I’ve more than gotten my money’s worth out of the game. But that is the same excuse that everyone else has used so far to justify the two $20AUD DLCs and $60USD sequel. During those 1660+ hours I’ve had long-term careers cut short due to constant crashing and save corruption. Sub 20 FPS. Constant stutters. Not to mention the broken physics. As the updates rolled in, new amazing features were added. But they also added more headaches and bugs. Version 1.7.3 is surprisingly stable right now, if I ignore how horribly integrated the parts from the Breaking Ground were. But 7 years later, it’s difficult to say that I’ve received a product that is worth $26AUD. I’ve had a lot of fun with the game, but it could have been much better. The game is currently $46AUD on Steam.

Over those 7 years I’ve been waiting for the performance to get better. And it hasn’t. If anything, it’s become worse. I know there is only so much Current-Squad can do with 7-year-old code. You can’t fully expect them to rebuild the game from the ground up for free. At least, you can’t expect 2K to let them. KSP2 may have significantly better performance. And good performance is a basic feature of every game. But to finally have this basic expectation met, I am expected to hand over $80-100AUD.

This isn’t helped with the lack of gameplay shown. I’m sure more details, including gameplay, will come soon.

Maybe they’ll surprise me by having Kerbin’s soupmosphere on par to FAR’s, along side FAR's other features. Or that the comms network have been updated to be closer inline with RemoteTech’s system. Or maybe all DLC for KSP1 will be in the base game for KSP2. Maybe they will even fix the propellers and rotors. Maybe they’ll even have sound!

But where things stand currently, beyond performance, there is nothing persuading me to buy the game. I’m not asking for a discount or anything. Besides, the hype train would get mad if I did. It would be nice if they did try to persuade me. But I have no idea what they are offering for $80-100AUD.

Maybe I'm just a bit salty that Age of Empires 3 DE wasn't mentioned at Gamescom. Or maybe it's because I've been down this road before with Bethesda. Remember that time when Skyrim didn't have microtransactions? I do.

I know the basic argument against this is:

And I probably won’t.

I have other games that I’ve neglected for years which I’ll play. And I’ll happily continue to play the sub 20 FPS version of KSP. At least until KSP2 is confirmed to be good.

But maybe they’ll surprise me. Maybe it'll be good. Sadly that's the same maybe I used for Fallout 4.

I'm sure the hype train will be mad regardless.

To me, it doesn't look photoshopped. The graphics are totally different imo. 

How are you getting on average 20 fps btw? I have no problems getting above 60. 

I will agree, it looks like they took mods people wanted and just slapped them into KSP and are working to make them all compatiable and work with each other, but some of the parts look like nothing the modding community has ever done, at least, not to the scale that Star Theory is doing. The Orion Drive? Project Daedalus? I've seen mods do this before, but they died off quickly, or they had problems that couldn't be fixed. 

But you have to remember, this is still really early. They have a half a year to a year to bring us gameplay footage and to tweak what they feel needs to be tweaked. They said sometime in 2020, so I can only assume they have 3 launch dates to shoot for. 
The original release date of KSP: June 11th.
The summer time release date for games: April something or May something (When kids are getting out of school)
Or the holiday release date: November something. 

All three dates are far away. Now, the trailer is obviously not going to show game assets, so don't take the cinematic trailer as what the parts will look like. 

All in all, just wait and see. That's all any of us can do, and you can get on the hype train and still have your worries. I'm sure 85% of the hype train people are worried and have their concerns, they're just not voicing them. 

Also, 2K? Wrong company. 2K is EA's company.  Squad is owned by PD who are Take-Two. 

One last thing. The game engine is still unity, but the graphics API might have changed from DX9. I'm assuming they've gone with Vulken or DX12/DX11 with some DX12. And that's where the real performance lies. Unity is a great game engine and it can do a  LOT, but if the Graphics API isn't up to the task, then Unity can't do a lot. DX11 or 12 or even Vulken will improve performance almost ten fold imo. 

Edited by GoldForest

Private Division is just a different name take 2 uses so they can make the indie game people feel a little bit better. They don't like revealing their name because of their  horrible reputation.

That's a very cynical way of looking at it. It is part of Take-Two, but that doesn't mean that Private Division will force Star Theory to make KSP2 an Epic Store exclusive. KSP2 and Outer Worlds have different target markets and therefore need different release strategies. Whatever people may think about Take-Two/Private Division, they will know and understand that alienating the KSP community will be the death of KSP2. Also: stop kidding yourselves here. If KSP2 is an Epic store exclusive for 6 months or a year, you will end up buying it when you see how amazing (I'm sure it will be!) it is. Don't be a dick and punish Star Theory/Squad for could ultimately be a publisher decision. I know I would buy it on the Epic Game store if it was an exclusive and then just buy it again when it released on Steam. No getting ideas here Private Division, the best thing for the game is a multiple storefront release! 

To the people going "OMG why is it still on Unity lolz failz" etc - go apply that logic to the Unreal Engine. It's a constantly evolving engine so don't judge it based on current KSP and Unity. Like others have said - no one expected KSP to become as big as it has. Most of the performance issues (at least the ones I experience) stem from having a lot of mods, lots of parts in craft and having lots of those craft active in various orbits and doing lots of things. Since KSP2 is a rebuild from the ground up, they probably at least considered other engines and decided that Unity was still the best engine for the game. There is a better awareness of the type of mods that the community will add - that also helps to optimise the game. 

All of that aside, I am super hyped for this :D I didn't expect this to happen at all! It sounds amazing, the trailer and dev videos look great and I'm glad that KSP (or KSP1 as we call it now?) will still be supported. 

I mean...that's a screenshot from an early alpha version of the game - most likely. Bit too early to say "It will NOT have clouds" like you've just said :/

Edited by madindehead