Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

@UomoCapra

Are the console versions being built with the next generation of consoles in mind?

Next gen console's release next year. Assuming KSP2 does well i expect we will get something on the next consoles. I'm just wondering if it is being created now with next gen optomzation in mind.

Edited by jordan drake
Tagging developer

This is incredible, it's almost a year ago that I started playing Kerbal Space Program and from that time I've learned a lot more about Orbital mechanics and spaceflight than I ever would have. 

It does sound as if squad will not be the main development team behind KSP anymore so I will be sad to see them leaving the main dev team. 

In my year of playing its been great and it's unlikely that I will be the first to get KSP2, but I am glad to hear that KSP1 will still be getting updates so I will continue to play KSP1 until the prices come down for KSP2. 

As most others are I'm very surprised about this new game, and I'm sure nobody saw it coming. It looks like KSP2 will be focused on interstellar travel. This is a worthy addition however it may start to ruin the feel of KSP and make it more like a si-fi adventure game, rather than a realistic sandbox game. 

Also great new music, nobody's sad about that

I want to wish Squad good luck, Star Theory Games good luck, and all the Devs THANK YOU for KSP1 and good luck with KSP2 

28 minutes ago, REMD said:

Well .. this rise quite a lot of questions about already planed DLC packs...  .... Developers please dont make it like "In game shop" with planets pack or interstellar travel mechanism.....

I could honestly see them adding 1 or 2 extra solar systems on launch, and possibly more as DLC? I don't see a problem with that. But we will have to wait and see.

7 minutes ago, Technical Ben said:

I could honestly see them adding 1 or 2 extra solar systems on launch, and possibly more as DLC? I don't see a problem with that. But we will have to wait and see.

It's a safe guess that there would be solar system dlcs/expansions

12 minutes ago, madindehead said:

Your 2nd point there is totally invalid. It has been mentioned that devs from Squad are helping the team at Star Theory, and they themselves are not inexperienced devs and as fans of the original KSP. 

Yes - it's a from the ground up rebuild. But having people there who know how things were developed the first time around, know how it was fixed and how to not do it again are all very helpful. So it working in the same engine. I haven't worked in software development, but I did work in electronic hardware design, a I know that having even 1 person there to guide me a bit helped massively. I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a have a bit of faith that the developers know what they are doing, understand how to do it and know what people love about the game and what needs to be improved.

It jus dawned on me that some years ago i was doing exact same types of posts on another game forum. Funny how getting involved in game dev can turn you around.
I have great admiration for anybody in this business already. So if Star Theory pulls it off, it will brake my scale haha. Lets hope it does.
Cheers :)

1 hour ago, Nao said:

Oh definitely, i wasn't really thinking it's too much. It's just that 60$ is such a standard value that just screams, "i'll be fully developed and matured game, buy me". And I just can't see it happening.

If this was SQUAD, i'd think they are crazy, then i'd buy it on launch and roll the bumpy road with a smile. But as it is with new developer the price it just rises red flag for me. IMHO it feels like they are aiming too high at the start (seen that one too many times), and i fear it will flop.

Astroneer got developed “out of nothing” and did pretty well, as far as I’m concerned. Not every customer thinks that way though, but on the whole they did pretty well in delivering what was envisioned. There are always caveats but I have reasons to be optimistic (besides having low standards):

• The developer might be new, I get the impression they have some old hands and experienced KSP players on board.
  • Astroneer had a published roadmap that changed a couple of times. The roadmap for KSP2 will be a lot clearer; we already have KSP 1, and we know where it works and where it doesn’t.
  • The game-play mechanics, what works, what doesn’t, and what’s missing are well understood. That doesn’t mean some of the lacking issues are easy to solve (multi-player game mechanics, no single-player storyline, etc) but it will surely get attention. And it’s probably the area where we can expect ongoing development; I doubt the game will be “done” when it goes on sale, and I think we’re moving into a world where that’s not expected either.
  • Starting from scratch will allow the developers to develop this as the game it currently is, not a toy proof-of-concept 2D game turned 3D with all kinds of things bolted on along the ride. Issues that are not easy to solve right now can be addressed with a game that is much smoother, richer and colmplexer than the current game is, even when running on similar hardware (but I expect that you really want a high-end rig for it).
  • T2’s agenda is unknown. Obviously they want to make money in the long run, but they have their cash-cows, and this isn’t one of them, and I don’t fear that they are going to pull crazy stunts to do so. In my mind, it’s much more likely that they set up an “Indie” label which covers various studios for a much more strategic reason: to diversify the range of games the company relies on. If that’s the case, you can be glad about T2; their goal is to make this a success, not to squeeze every ounce out of it, that will only come once a KSP franchise has been established.
Edited by Kerbart

MY BRAIN: struggling in the first KSP

ME: so dev guys you can make civilisations and you can explore the galaxy make stations and way more new stuff?

DEVS: yeah

MY BRAIN: me knowing that I've only crashed on mun and is trying to make a  haven class station(struggling with) [only 1 part done -_-]

ME: cool whatever , sounds easy

"...and the long-awaited arrival of multiplayer."

This. Is what this the game has needed from the start. Without this, KSP will fade into memory as the best solo game in history.  If they include it, it will foster the greatest growth of a sequel in gaming history. I am sure I and many others will return our focus to KSP if this is done.

Edited by inigma

2 minutes ago, Cristy2017 said:

Yeah, he said on Reddit that they didn't contact him about this one

That's a little sad... but what we've seen so far appears true to his vision... so I hope he'll be happy with what comes out.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Astroneer got developed “out of nothing” and did pretty well, as far as I’m concerned. Not every customer thinks that way though, but on the whole they did pretty well in delivering what was envisioned.

• The developer might be new, I get the impression they have some old hands and experienced KSP players on board.

Astroneer did great for what it was, but games don't really scale linearly with complexity. I think KSP2 being 2x the price is at least 4x as hard to do.
Work experience is very valuable, but getting whole team to be comfortable with a project takes time and failures that you learn from. Some problems can hit you even when you see them coming. And i'm not talking about design, KSP showed what works and what does not. But even when you know exactly what you want, to actually code it, make it work, you still need to stumble along the way as you do it. Idk i may be underestimating Star Theory, but great development studios don't just pop into existence.

I doubt the game will be “done” when it goes on sale, and I think we’re moving into a world where that’s not expected either.

Yeah, but then we paying full price for unfinished products and it's a coin toss weather the game company can stay afloat while they are finishing it up. Not saying it won't but also i don't see it trying to make 100% sure it will work.

Starting from scratch will allow the developers to develop this as the game it currently is, not a toy proof-of-concept 2D game turned 3D with all kinds of things bolted on along the ride.

I'm not too worried about design, main concept is already solid, thou multi-platform does make me nervous they get some "great idea" to make it more appealing for consoles. Also i bet multiplayer will either be too limited or be too limiting to the game (a balance here would be really hard to hit blind).

Issues that are not easy to solve right now can be addressed with a game that is much smoother, richer and colmplexer than the current game is, even when running on similar hardware (but I expect that you really want a high-end rig for it).

You don't really build smooth games, you can have robust engine that does not bog down as much when you add new stuff during development. But in case of these resource intensive games, smoothness is fixed and you dial the content around hardware limitations.
Similarly "richer" and "more complex" isn't given as they are building the game from ground up. It's something that is added over time, and i'd much rather see it done like original KSP, with some supervision from the game community.
In fact since game hardware didn't really expand that much over the recent years, i've seen first handed in a game that i am a tester in, how a sequel looses features over the predecessor on performance grounds as new fancy graphics features demand so much that even the top of the line PC can't fully handle it (and i do mean the very best you can buy today). Having community feedback on what to cut and what issues to focus next can be invaluable. And even then you have to make a choice.

T2’s agenda is unknown. Obviously they want to make money in the long run, but they have their cash-cows, and this isn’t one of them.

Yeah it's not "the cash cow" but business is business, Amazon did not become giant it is by only focusing on the big fish, they look for money everywhere. And here is where the 60$ comes in. For a game that complex and performance dependent a longer open ended development (like Early Access) is much more fitting, but it also has less chance to become a "Hit". So to me the way KSP2 is to be released feels like a marketing decision. They might still pull it off, but it will be "in spite of" not "thanks to" multi-platform full game release at full price.

What im trying to say is that there is a lot of design decisions that can be altered mid development at a small cost, but when the game goes live it's usually very hard to make such alterations. And both multiplayer and multi-platform usually require big commitments that shape the game as a whole.
And I've seen first handed a game studio full of passionate people that are very experienced in the genre they are working with, do decisions that really go against wishes of consumers, and usually the bottom line culprit is the "expansion" of the scope of the sequel.

ps: Sorry for that wall, i should probably stop typing and let you guys (us!) be happy to get KSP2 confirmed, im sure it will turn out alright :) (guess im too old for hype haha)
edit: better formatting

Edited by Nao

KSP with a propper implementation of multiplayer and base building already sells it for me, tough $59 sounds maybe a bit steep (i mean i'll buy it either way but $49 sounds more reasonable).

Anyway i'd love to see steam workshop support, not to replace this forum, but to replace the different mod distribution platforms currently (spacedock, curse, ckan, dropbox and idk its too many), and it would make it much easier to both manage and keep a large mod library updated, manage dependencies and game version comparability.

There are many things i would like to see in the game, but as long as you include at least what KSP already have (improved or not) i'm trusting mods to deliver the sprinkle, so from me, i thank you for delivering a rewamp of KSP, and with much hype, please don't wait until late 2020 <3

Well,  I saw the banner change on the forum last night, mulled it over, then read this whole thread this morning.  My reaction, as it is to almost all things in life, is a little mixed but mostly positive.

First off, I'm not at all surprised at the announcement of KSP2.  I've been expecting it for a couple years already :)  I mean, KSP is immensely popular but long ago got about as far as it could without a major overhaul.  But a major overhaul is about as much work as making a new game while still retaining most of the original limitations and problems, so a new game is really the only option.  So yay!  Glad to see that finally happening!

I'm also not surprised at the new features.  I mean, what other direction is there to go other than colonies and other star systems?  Both of which I enjoy doing a lot so I'm looking forward to that.  Yay again.

And I was going to be buying a new computer shortly anyway.....

The one reservation I have is the switch from Squad to Star Theory.  It definitely won't be the same as before but I think the KSP community has enough inertia to get Star Theory on board with us once they venture in here, and not us having to adapt too much.  My main concern is the future of Squad and all the folks we've known in that outfit for so long.  I hope the future is bright for them.

As to everything else, there's no point in speculating.  Those who know can't/won't say anything yet beyond the initial announcements but I'm sure they'll keep the hype train rolling with semi-frequent teases.