Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

22 hours ago, PulsarPixie said:

This is the first title for Star Theory Games, of whom a few developers remain from its predecessor company, Uber Entertainment. Uber is known for Monday Night Combat, Planetary Annihilation, and VR titles

Oh dear.

:(

It does not matter how shinny they made this new version... If they don't implement a more procedural part approach like simplerockets 2, I would not even try it.
I hate the hundreds of parts that limits your creativity, increase your search time, creations that look uglier and unrealistic and crash your PC from lack of memory.

What is the point to have 30 tanks shapes??  or many wing shapes?   The only thing I ask is to solve that core error from the first version which was the key reason I stop playing KSP. 

I'm ambiguous about this. Definitely one where I'm going to read the reviews first, maybe watch a video or two before plunking down any money.

The trailer is... a very good trailer. It sells the sizzle as the old marketing saying goes. But until I get an idea of whether the game is all going to hang together in an interesting way, or just be KSP1 with some extra shinies bolted on and a longer tech tree, I'm holding off buying my Hype Train ticket.

Plus points.

• Looks like the graphics are getting a big overhaul.
  • We get bases and things to do (possibly) with our space programs.
  • Kerbolar system confirmed as canon </snark>

Personal warning flags. 

• Interstellar travel. Too sci-fi for KSP in my opinion. Would have preferred an expanded Kerbol system. Likewise, the more esoteric high-thrust, high-ISP engines.
  • Multiplayer. Bluntly, I suspect that multiplayer will involve a competitive element. Which, in my experience, tends to be a route to endless player bickering about 'balance' and the single player game being mucked around with in the name of multiplayer balance. Not a great match for a sandbox style single player mode.
  • Lol-kerbals still up front and present. In the trailer I was fine with that Mun lander tipping over as a wee bit of fanservice to KSP1. But then, at the end we see a large, advanced off-Kerbin base.... and yet another 'hilarious' rocket crashing incident. I know this is a long established meme but it's also a threadbare and tattered meme, which looks increasingly stupid the more advanced the Kerbal's are supposed to be getting. What's next - chucklesome planet cracking antics as Jeb flies a prototype FTL ship into Duna? :rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong about all of the above.  I want to be wrong about all of the above. But, like I said - personal warning flags.

Edited by KSK

WOW! how to explain to you ?

my heart exploded in small pieces, then it's rebuilt to exploded again.I did not imagine a ksp 2 on fire! especially something so incredible and impressive ! @SQUAD you are the developer team that allowed me to discover the space the way I wanted to discover it . I'm going to have over 2500 hours of play and I'm still learning things and I always have fun . I'm starting to think that I'm going to be played at KSP all my life lol no other game is able to bring me so much possibility in such a stable way. you earned an Oscar for your wonderful work. and an Oscar for your respect towards your community. No other developer has this respect. you knew how to listen to remarks and ideas.I have a deep respect for you guys. I hope this message is clear! (Google translation). thank you for putting so many stars in my eyes and having opened my imagination.there will never be enough thank you.

message from Jojo's heart. little french who walks in space thanks to you. Merci !! never stop dreaming !

10 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

No they won't. 

official? Link?

10 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Also if anyone cares KSP 2 will NOT have clouds. Check the first image on the steam store page, look closely for a cloudless kerbin. Need more confirmation? Second image, no clouds at the launchpad. Scatterer and EVE guys, you know what to do when this comes out.

:D

If this releases with no clouds...

11 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Read the FAQ posted in the start of this thread somewhere, or on their website. 

I did. It says this:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my saves/account to KSP2? (backwards compatibility)

A: Saves from Kerbal Space Program 1 will not be compatible with Kerbal Space Program 2.

Saves are not craft. Anyone know FOR SURE if craft files will not be compatible?

2 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I did. It says this:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my saves/account to KSP2? (backwards compatibility)

A: Saves from Kerbal Space Program 1 will not be compatible with Kerbal Space Program 2.

Saves are not craft. Anyone know FOR SURE if craft files will not be compatible?

Technically, that's savegames, not craft files.  Seems a lot of the old parts are in KSP2, so I could imagine if they wanted, they could put in an import feature.  Might not fly the same.

As KSK said, the interstellar part is not really KSP for me. I see something more science and exploration oriented. (n-body simulation, life support, biomes and special places to visit)

Maybe the possibility to change the solar system to have other challenge and worlds to explore.

Also a support for extern programing language like Python can be very good.

I play only on Linux. I really hope KSP2 will be supported also on Linux. I will stay on KSP1 if not. I have some fear with the EPIC's politic... They don't like Linux and love micro-transactions... KSP is a fabulous game. Don't kill it please...

20 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

If this releases with no clouds...

Honestly, this releasing without clouds would be a major oversight..

I have been trying to figure out what the raison d'etre is for a KSP2, ie, what would actually set this game apart/give players a reason to migrate over. Clouds, some sort of freeIVA type thing, proper landed craft physics (including reliable wheel physics, READ: FRICTION); as far as I'm concerned, are the BARE MINIMUM requirements for me to even bother thinking about switching over.

Well, some important questions that I'm sadly pessimistic about:

1. Will KSP2 be dumbed down?
2. Will KSP2 have n-body physics?
3. Why is Unity being used, given the trouble this limited engine has caused in KSP1?

11 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I did. It says this:

No, but it is basically guaranteed. The tree structure of crafts has well documented problems, so it makes zero sense to even attempt. 

2 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Well, some important questions that I'm sadly pessimistic about:

1. Will KSP2 be dumbed down?
2. Will KSP2 have n-body physics?
3. Why is Unity being used, given the trouble this limited engine has caused in KSP1?

1) No, watch the dev trailer.

2) Nothing has been said yet. Could go either way.

3) They may have purchased a source license for Unity giving them the ability to fix those issues. 

On 8/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, PulsarPixie said:

●  Next-Generation Technology:

Please, don't get too carried away with this. Make it a realistic, Kerbal Space Program experience - not a sci-fi star wars star trek teleportation lasers fantasy.

1 minute ago, Kuszotke said:

Please, don't get too carried away with this. Make it a realistic, Kerbal Space Program experience - not a sci-fi star wars star trek teleportation lasers fantasy.

If you watch the dev trailer that is what they imply. It sounds like it will be based on theoretical engines and tech. Obviously it will need to be gamified a bit but the premise is based on science. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:13 PM, UomoCapra said:

There will not be an in-game currency that you can purchase loot boxes, or similar.

That does not sound very convincing and i'm understandably pessimistic. A simple, firm "no microtransactions" would sound better.

From the trailer video I learned that Star Theory has some very talented cinematic artists. (Including links inline in case folks reading this haven't watched.)

Spoiler

From the dev story video I learned that they are massive nerds.

Spoiler

So far so good. I'm a little surprised no one has suggested a link between their Rampage arcade machine and the unique "physics challenges" of base building.

4 minutes ago, Kuszotke said:

That does not sound very convincing and i'm understandably pessimistic. A simple, firm "no microtransactions" would sound better.

It probably hasn’t been decided yet, which means a “no” isn’t a possible answer to give at this time.