Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

4 minutes ago, MechBFP said:
10 minutes ago, Kuszotke said:

That does not sound very convincing and i'm understandably pessimistic. A simple, firm "no microtransactions" would sound better.

It probably hasn’t been decided yet, which means a “no” isn’t a possible answer to give at this time. 

ON RELEASE ksp 2 will be 60$ so definitely no microtransactions also squad and star theory are not know for microtransactions 

Just now, hello there said:

ON RELEASE ksp 2 will be 60$ so definitely no microtransactions also squad and star theory are not know for microtransactions 

Probably no micro-transactions is my gut feel as well, but it is certainly not a “definitely no” at this point.

4 minutes ago, hello there said:

GTA 5 was $60 too. So were many AAA titles with microtransactions. Squad has nothing to do with KSP 2. Take Two Interactive (KSP 2's publisher) does however have A LOT to do with microtransactions.

Edited by Kuszotke

Just now, Kuszotke said:

GTA 5 was $60 too. So were many AAA titles with microtransactions. Squad has nothing to do with KSP 2. Take Two Interactive (KSP 2's publisher) does however.

thats because rockstar is small brain so is EA and bethesda and so on

3 minutes ago, Kuszotke said:

Squad has nothing to do with KSP 2.

Incorrect.

8 minutes ago, Kuszotke said:

GTA 5 was $60 too. So were many AAA titles with microtransactions. Squad has nothing to do with KSP 2. Take Two Interactive (KSP 2's publisher) does however have A LOT to do with microtransactions.

The rest is also incorrect.

Since I will not keep up with the speed this thread is growing I will just throw in two things:

1. Ditching multi-platform support for a single way of purchase will mean no purchase from me. Not because of general objection - I have a couple different launchers - but because you promised.

2. I very dearly wish for a SRSSM in KSP2 - Stock Real Solar Size Mode.

That is all, carry on!

1 hour ago, KSK said:

The trailer is... a very good trailer. It sells the sizzle as the old marketing saying goes. But until I get an idea of whether the game is all going to hang together in an interesting way, or just be KSP1 with some extra shinies bolted on and a longer tech tree, I'm holding off buying my Hype Train ticket.

I agree that the trailer looks really good; suspiciously good. But, implementation, while not unimportant is usually not the weakest link in game development (there are exceptions, *cough Flying Tigers cough*), and the trailer does seem to show an understanding of what it is that we want—the hard part.

• Interstellar travel. Too sci-fi for KSP in my opinion. Would have preferred an expanded Kerbol system. Likewise, the more esoteric high-thrust, high-ISP engines.

Granted, this can be worrisome, but I suspect (ok, “hope” is a better word) that it doesn’t involve FTL travel but rather the ability to travel/activate custom solar systems, which might or might not be modded. A built-in Kopernicus with choice of what system you want, basically.

• Multiplayer. Bluntly, I suspect that multiplayer will involve a competitive element. Which, in my experience, tends to be a route to endless player bickering about 'balance' and the single player game being mucked around with in the name of multiplayer balance. Not a great match for a sandbox style single player mode.

I’m not a big fan of multi-player, but if there’s one requested feature... I think it’s a key component of a commercial success for the game, and a major Reason To Buy. We all benefit from more copies of the game being sold, as it generates more cash for ongoing development.

• Lol-kerbals still up front and present. In the trailer I was fine with that Mun lander tipping over as a wee bit of fanservice to KSP1. But then, at the end we see a large, advanced off-Kerbin base.... and yet another 'hilarious' rocket crashing incident. I know this is a long established meme but it's also a threadbare and tattered meme, which looks increasingly stupid the more advanced the Kerbal's are supposed to be getting. What's next - chucklesome planet cracking antics as Jeb flies a prototype FTL ship into Duna? :rolleyes:

Part of the territory. If anything, it’s more part of the game trailer culture than anything else. Again, if it helps to sell the game, I don’t care, when it doesn’t influence the game content.

I hope I'm wrong about all of the above.  I want to be wrong about all of the above. But, like I said - personal warning flags.

Time will tell, the biggest risk I see is hype and ridiculous expectations from the existing player base. The fact that TakeTwo is willing to roll the dice on the game and develop a sequel major update from scratch is very, very encouraging.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, Tw1 said:

It's a pity this will leave most mods in the dust though. All that gameplay history..
Things like KAS, KIS, mechjeb, FAR, kerbal konstructs,  hyperedit - all have been pivotal parts of the game, and who knows what will make it to the next... 

I came looking for this. The mods you list are perhaps the most critically important bits in any KSP installation. Ferram's work more than anything, I would say, with MechJeb at a close second.

2 hours ago, KSK said:

Personal warning flags. 

• Interstellar travel. Too sci-fi for KSP in my opinion. Would have preferred an expanded Kerbol system. Likewise, the more esoteric high-thrust, high-ISP engines.
  • Multiplayer. Bluntly, I suspect that multiplayer will involve a competitive element. Which, in my experience, tends to be a route to endless player bickering about 'balance' and the single player game being mucked around with in the name of multiplayer balance. Not a great match for a sandbox style single player mode.
  • Lol-kerbals still up front and present. In the trailer I was fine with that Mun lander tipping over as a wee bit of fanservice to KSP1. But then, at the end we see a large, advanced off-Kerbin base.... and yet another 'hilarious' rocket crashing incident. I know this is a long established meme but it's also a threadbare and tattered meme, which looks increasingly stupid the more advanced the Kerbal's are supposed to be getting. What's next - chucklesome planet cracking antics as Jeb flies a prototype FTL ship into Duna? :rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong about all of the above.  I want to be wrong about all of the above. But, like I said - personal warning flags.

• If they properly gate the sci-fi in "eras" (preferably only 2 or 3), so we can for example play normal-creative and sci-fi creative it should end up "ok" in the long run.
  • If it is anything like vanilla Minecraft, multiplayer should be fine too. I'd be more scared of technical limitations that it could impose themselves on the normal game. Or glitching/hacking that could randomly ruin fun things.
  • I have the same sentiment. For sandbox it probably does not matter, but if they intend for a more streamlined experience on consoles with missions, story, progression, achievements etc. the likely constant over the top everything will get old fast.

I'm similarly not buying into the hype, thou will likely buy it regardless of reviews - as long as it runs at all it should be fun... or !!fun!!    ( "!!" means something is on fire in DwarfFortress )

Edited by Nao

21 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Granted, this can be worrisome, but I suspect (ok, “hope” is a better word) that it doesn’t involve FTL travel but rather the ability to travel/activate custom solar systems, which might or might not be modded. A built-in Kopernicus with choice of what system you want, basically.

"We don't do warp gates, we don't do warp drive, we don't do magic technology. And we've really been in close contact with a number of subject matter experts in propulsion, and in astronomy, to make sure that the things we're adding to this game are rooted in real science."

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-interview/

10 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

So the kerbal system remains broadly the same? at least the bodies will look similar from orbit (ideally with much better detail up close)? The "new" bodies would be reachable by interstellar travel? 

I'm really really really hoping that there's going to be something to get around the very poor performance when part count goes up (improved multithreading? something like the part welding mods? some other optimization method?)

I guess the Dev story trailer with its pre-alpha screenshots are most representative of the details we can expect (not the pre-rendered trailer cutscenes)

There was some mention of this in the dev trailer I believe, that accommodations would be made to make really large stations and bases. 

On 8/19/2019 at 2:27 PM, PulsarPixie said:

● Colonies: Players can now build colonies in Kerbal Space Program 2. These colonies not only pose their own physics challenges to build, but also require players gather resources to build structures, space stations, habitations, and generate unique fuel types. Eventually, these colonies become advanced enough for vehicle construction, propelling deep space and beyond.

"unique fuel types"... could that mean we're going to see kerosene, hydrogen, and methane as different fuels instead of just "liquid fuel"? And hopefully the resources will be more in-depth than just "ore".

29 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

"We don't do warp gates, we don't do warp drive, we don't do magic technology. And we've really been in close contact with a number of subject matter experts in propulsion, and in astronomy, to make sure that the things we're adding to this game are rooted in real science."

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-interview/

I hate to be a downer - and I appreciate the link - but that actually makes it worse. Without some kind of FTL mechanism, we're doing interstellar flights at sub-light speeds. Even assuming that we can get to a respectable fraction of c using one of the advanced engines (which, incidentally has the side effect of making travel around the Kerbol system rather trivial) and even assuming that we're playing in a scaled-down KSP1 like universe - interstellar journeys are going to take a long time.

Some very rough and ready figures.  Assume a 4 light year journey (comparable to a trip to Alpha Centauri from Earth). Assume we can compress that to a 4 light month journey because of Universe scaling. 

An Orion style nuclear pulse drive will get you to about 0.035c. Lets be generous and scale that up to 0.35c, for gameplay balance and to allow for the fact that there may be more efficient engines than Orion. 

That's still a 1 year journey. Not allowing for acceleration or braking. And making so many generous assumptions that it kind of makes a mockery of the 'rooted in science' thing.

I wasn't overwhelmed by this comment either:

"There is a population of Kerbals locally in any colony that you build, and that population does increase organically. And as that population increases, the colony's abilities increase as well. But not it's not the sort of situation where if you don't tend to the colony, it collapses or something bad happens."

To me, this smacks of 'we don't include life support because it makes things too hard'. Which is undeniably a popular view on this forum but personally it's not one I subscribe to.

Anyhow - we don't have anywhere near enough information for this to be an informed debate, so I'll stop here. As I said, I want my pessimism to be unfounded - we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by KSK

11 minutes ago, Iamsodarncool said:

@KSK in real life, humans will be making interstellar journeys subluminally. I play KSP for the realistic futurism fantasy. If you really want science fantasy technology there will certainly be mods for it, just as there are in KSP 1.

You’re missing my point.

As I said in my original post, interstellar travel was a personal warning flag.

I think it’s a bad idea because it either involves sci-fi technology (not consistent with the rest of the game) or journey times that are completely out of scale with the rest of the game. Not to mention that anything you do to mitigate the travel time for interstellar flight tends to trivialise interplanetary flight.