Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

My only real hope to see in KSP2 is support for multiple monitors. Either it could be modded in or stock. It would be nice to toss the map screen, info, control windows on to a second monitor. That way you can keep your flight screen as clean as possible.

1 hour ago, NEwTRoX said:

Hey there ^^

Will there be some kind of Multiplayer or Multiplayer-MOD-implementation possible?

Would be sooooo great to hear some positiv news 'bout that ;-)

Kind Regards and Greetings, J.K.

You should read the announcement!

What I like about KSP1 is that how it's simple and easy to play. Although I am excited for new flashy graphics, colonies, and other features KSP2 will add, and I know that other people are excited for multiplayer, I would like for KSP2 to retain that spirit.

6 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I would love to see something offical about this. It seems folks are just guessing at this point.

It's stated in this same thread, the 5th post. There's a full FAQ.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:27 AM, PulsarPixie said:

Q: Will I be able to transfer my saves/account to KSP2? (backwards compatibility)

A: Saves from Kerbal Space Program 1 will not be compatible with Kerbal Space Program 2.

So... I'm actually surprised this came out, because a friend dm'd me about the trailer

I came out of another 2 month hiatus to see this

anyway, I think that this would be great but nothing would change the originality and the nostalgia of KSP in my opinion.

It's just that I'm honestly expecting for this game to go well, and only with the trailer I got impressed not gonna lie

(and also Jool[I think so?] has rings in the trailer, and if that isn't Jool then new planets YEET[ofcourse ignoring the not actual gameplay tag :D])

Edited by Pascovian
thing

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I heard a small bit of news which I find kind-of concerning (admittedly, it's not news at all, just a bit of speculation. Feel free to take this post with a grain of salt):

So, for those of you who haven't seen this interview (this information was probably announced elsewhere, but I mainly found out about it from this interview), KSP2 will be released in Spring 2020 (Nate Simpson mentions it at the end of the interview).

28 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

(For those of you who are struggling to watch the video on IGN's website, you can watch it on Youtube here: https://youtu.be/5uqpdoFCOMM)

[ WARNING: Negative speculation beyond this point ]

Spoiler

Now... considering the game's current state, and how game development can take longer than expected (as well as the fact KSP 1 took a few years to reach 1.0/a feature complete state)... well... I'm a bit concerned about whether Star Theory will get the game out before the end of Spring.

...I mean, it's probably FAR too early to speculate, but if they can't complete KSP2 in-time, I hope they do the same as KSP 1 by releasing the game in an early state and updating it over time (with feedback from the community to help influence features to make the game the best it can possibly be), but if not that, then there's a chance they might have to delay KSP2... or even worse, go into serious crunch-time before launch.

I don't know... I'm pretty sure I'm being WAY too skeptical about the game's progress. I do hope it comes out on-time/perfectly fine, but still... several months isn't a lot of time from a game development perspective.

Is it out yet?

How about now?

And hi everyone!  It's been a while....   A few thoughts.

1)  I understand the concern about store exclusivity, really.  But honestly, it's silly to think that Epic or anyone is going to pay for exclusivity on KSP2.  KSP is a niche title -- a good selling niche title, but niche.  I know Steam sale numbers are.... dodgy at best, so with a grain of salt I'll say that KSP probably has sold a few million copies on Steam.  Per SteamSpy (grain of salt again), it's in the 2 million to 5 million estimate range.  For a little perspective, that's about half as many sales as "Don't Starve" is estimated at, and nobody would call "Don't Starve" a blockbuster sales hit.  Good game though.  I recommend it if you're interested in that genre.  For a little more perspective, a true AAA title -- like Counter-Strike Global Offensive -- will sell 50x as many copies.  (And at a price point more around $80, too.)  THAT'S when you pay for exclusivity... as exclusivity requires you to compensate the publisher for expected lost sales that would have been made on other platforms, you don't do it unless you're banking on a gigantic sales total.  KSP2 just isn't that.   And a niche title like KSP2 can't afford to throttle its own exposure by going exclusive, so it's a bad idea from their end too.

But I'll give you that nothing is certain, and I certainly wouldn't bet my life on a lack of exclusivity.  You never know.

2)  I'm not particularly enthused/interested in interstellar or multiplayer, but hey, it's a sandbox game.  If I don't like it, I won't use it.  

3)  Also hoping that many of the key mods will be in the game natively now.  

4) Also curious to see which version, and what features, of Unity are going to be involved.

5) I suspect we don't have a great deal of actual gameplay footage because it's butt ugly right now.  Textures and texture optimization are usually (to my knowledge) something that's done later in development.  First you get the architecture right, then you hang the drapes.... 

6)  Is it out yet?

24 minutes ago, Fred Cop said:

I mean, it's probably FAR too early to speculate, but if they can't complete KSP2 in-time,

We know that development has begun some time in 2018. We can't tell exactly of course.

However, the graphics seem mostly complete (most of the slow down in the video is probably caused by lots of debug code running in the background), particle effect seem pretty good, explosion sounds are (hopefully) placeholders from KSP 1, but if what is seen in the video is to be believed, most of what can be viewed is in a mostly completed state.
We cannot make statements about, say, the colonies system and progress made there.

And they still have 7 months left, plenty of time.

Edited by Delay

This has to be the fastest growing thread in the forums right?

Anyways, come on SQUAD, I want news on KSP 1.8! Don't leave us hanging with just Mun and Duna revamps! What about Eve?! Dres?! Jool?! I wanna know more about 1.8! And I sure hope there's 1.9!

On 8/19/2019 at 1:23 PM, EchoLima said:

Will development on KSP 1 continue after 1.8?

The Devs for KSP 2 said that KSP 1 will continue on its own path and will continue to be supported. They are currently working 1.8 at the time of their response.

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

This has to be the fastest growing thread in the forums right?

Probably also one of the fastest growing YouTube videos right now - 2,000,000 views in 3 days is not something easily achieved.

1 hour ago, daver4470 said:

I understand the concern about store exclusivity, really.  But honestly, it's silly to think that Epic or anyone is going to pay for exclusivity on KSP2.  KSP is a niche title -- a good selling niche title, but niche.  I know Steam sale numbers are.... dodgy at best, so with a grain of salt I'll say that KSP probably has sold a few million copies on Steam.  Per SteamSpy (grain of salt again), it's in the 2 million to 5 million estimate range.  For a little perspective, that's about half as many sales as "Don't Starve" is estimated at, and nobody would call "Don't Starve" a blockbuster sales hit.  Good game though.  I recommend it if you're interested in that genre.  For a little more perspective, a true AAA title -- like Counter-Strike Global Offensive -- will sell 50x as many copies.

Exactly! Anyone who gets their panties in a bunch over Take Two being on a mission to “destroy the game” seems to think that KSP is the jewel in T2’s portfolio. And while it is for us, it’s not for Take Two.

Whatever the motivation was for T2 to get into indie games, it’s most certainly not the bottom line, as it’s a rounding error in the books, at best. There are plenty of strategic reasons to have a game like KSP under its umbrella, and none  of those   require, for instance, the hated micro-transactions (and as they negatively affect the game, make it unlikely for  MT to appear):

• the indie studios can act as a breeding ground for talent. Promoting that great coder to lead engineer? Maybe a bit risky for Counter Strike, but why don’t you lead a team in Private Division first? Less risk for Take Two, and with less pressure on the new lead also a better chance of success.
  • there’s value in having non-violent, yes educational games in your portfolio. If public opinion turns against companies that produce mass shooter games (regardless of what the science says about games inducing violence; public opinion doesn’t work like that), then you don’t want to be that company that only sells violent games
  • long term franchise development. KSP might not be a game for the masses, but the Kerbals most certainly can be. While there’s a certain hostility on this forum towards the LOLZ factor, it’s also a selling point, and you kinda expect them to be clumsy, stumbling, but endearing characters. If there’s a Minions movie, why not a Kerbal movie? T2 might see potential in developing a Kerbal culture that will spin off mobile games, Netflix movies, etc.

Those are just a couple of the things I can come up with. For none of these, T2 will require the game to be a commercial blockbuster. Obviously they don’t want to hemorrhage money from it either, but I doubt it’s about maximizing profits. In fact, I suspect T2 wants the game to be a gaming success, much more than a financial success. And that would mean an exciting future,

ss_b2038b6ad3b7c22507fd1614e2781e59a01c1b5e.600x338.jpg?t=1566245946Looks like there new command pod,fuel tanks,solar panels,structural components,grav ring things and engines 

ss_6d0b2acc56dd157712449522d80e2d63d95ad457.600x338.jpg?t=1566245946

new effects

ss_894a9bf290b43b61c52c509e74850b3675b1bd71.600x338.jpg?t=1566245946new launch pad (i love it) 

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582cf9.600x338.jpg?t=1566245946new paint schemes AND orion drive 

im going to preorder for sure (when it comes out)

ss_2bff8169d87a84f30efb67ee3a1cefa1fe28fcf0.600x338.jpg?t=1566245946also colonization but im not sure what i feel about this

Edited by hello there
adding stuff