Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

Well this brought me back to the forums as fast as I could open the web page...

This is indeed a surprise not many people were expecting....

Price tag is a little high for some of us "older" people, but I guess that's what you get in today's games....

I'm happy to hear that KSP 1 is getting a sequel! It would be awesome if it has double monitor support, I'm interested in finding out how the colonies work. Because in KSP 1 there was only so much you could do  once you reached another planet. So from some of the screenshots I'm really excited for KSP 2. 2020 can't come quick enough.

So, I created an account to ask these few questions about KSP2.

1. Are you guys planning on future DLC's for KSP2.

2. Are there going to be advanced destruction physics in the actual game like displayed in the trailer?

3. Do you guys have a planned release month? 

4. Is the game going to be a brand new copy, with a different source, or just an improved version of the old KSP?

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for giving me such a great time when I was younger with the original KSP. That game was absolutely amazing from the start. I love what your studio has done with it, and will happily buy KSP2 no matter the result to this question. :lol:

Edited by vanillapenguin

Hello, I just want to have you put an eye on a old thread of mine in which I suggested some overhauls for a new major release (KSP2?).

A few of them are outdated and already implemented, but please check under "EXPLORE OVERHAUL", "ASTRONOMY / PLANETARY SCIENCE OVERHAUL" and "PROCEDURAL GENERATED PLANETS OVERHAUL"

Thanks!

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/125979-on-exploration-astronomy-random-bodies-and-other-overhauls/

I'll be looking forward do this.
If it ends up anything like the trailer, that is an easy few purchases here :)

4 hours ago, Fred Cop said:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I heard a small bit of news which I find kind-of concerning (admittedly, it's not news at all, just a bit of speculation. Feel free to take this post with a grain of salt):

So, for those of you who haven't seen this interview (this information was probably announced elsewhere, but I mainly found out about it from this interview), KSP2 will be released in Spring 2020 (Nate Simpson mentions it at the end of the interview).

(For those of you who are struggling to watch the video on IGN's website, you can watch it on Youtube here: https://youtu.be/5uqpdoFCOMM)

[ WARNING: Negative speculation beyond this point ]

Hide contents

Now... considering the game's current state, and how game development can take longer than expected (as well as the fact KSP 1 took a few years to reach 1.0/a feature complete state)... well... I'm a bit concerned about whether Star Theory will get the game out before the end of Spring.

...I mean, it's probably FAR too early to speculate, but if they can't complete KSP2 in-time, I hope they do the same as KSP 1 by releasing the game in an early state and updating it over time (with feedback from the community to help influence features to make the game the best it can possibly be), but if not that, then there's a chance they might have to delay KSP2... or even worse, go into serious crunch-time before launch.

I don't know... I'm pretty sure I'm being WAY too skeptical about the game's progress. I do hope it comes out on-time/perfectly fine, but still... several months isn't a lot of time from a game development perspective.

I'll pay for a beta/alpha and, so long as it is playable (even if incomplete, so long as progress keeps going), I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, vanillapenguin said:

So, I created an account to ask these few questions about KSP2.

1. Are you guys planning on future DLC's for KSP2.

2. Are there going to be advanced destruction physics in the actual game like displayed in the trailer?

3. Do you guys have a planned release month? 

4. Is the game going to be a brand new copy, with a different source, or just an improved version of the old KSP?

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for giving me such a great time when I was younger with the original KSP. That game was absolutely amazing from the start. I love what your studio has done with it, and will happily buy KSP2 no matter the result to this question. :lol:

1. Probably, but no official word yet.

2. Watch the second video in their post, the one talking about the developers.  Or the IGN interview video I linked a page or two back.  There's some alpha/pre-alpha gameplay footage in there, which naturally includes some RUDs.  Looks good.

3. Probably, although all they've officially said is "Spring 2020", which could mean any time from April to June.

4. KSP 2 is a whole new game built from scratch.  It's still using Unity, but probably a newer, more advanced version of Unity than KSP1 uses.

9 hours ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Nooo.... 

I am using Windows 7

@Nigel J. Cardozo Windows 7 will def not be minimum. Sorry dude.

As you saw in my post with it being unsupported by Microsoft, it's not something any developers will look at. Win 7 was standard DX9 and standard x32 (at the base level) and this is what developers would look at, the base..

Time to upgrade which might be sad to say but on the plus side, at least you know about KSP2 now and it's release in 2020 (possibly spring), so you at least have some 6+ months to start saving for a new computer that will cope for the foreseeable future of your Kerbal in space travel.

11 minutes ago, The_Arcitect said:

If they dont, we have the modding community.

This is more for @nsgallup, It's already been indicated that the Kerbalar system will be in KSP2 plus an outer system that people can explore.. So I don't think from the sounds of things, you will be short on planets to travel to.

Quote from PCGAmer on KSP2. "... all the planets in the Kerbolar system continue to be present in enhanced forms. And then, as you continue to progress up the tech tree and get access to interstellar technologies, the scope of the game just gets larger, and you begin crossing the gulfs of interstellar space."

6 minutes ago, nsgallup said:

I wonder how much of the modding community will transfer over

Already started.... Although what I did was a re-release in KSP1, I had started building from scratch a replacement to the re-release. Now it's being done for KSP2. On the plus side, my pack will have more components to it rather than a progressive release.

Edited by Radar

7 minutes ago, nsgallup said:

How so?

When you have 3d models created, you can import into anything. In this case Unity. So once they release info on what parts of Unity will be used, or a 'partstools' addon, it's just a matter of selecting the right shaders for the model you have created, adding the movements / animation (although some of that can be done in 3d programs also) etc..

The hardest part / most time consuming part is creating the 3d models, not implementing the shadows, lights, cameras or robotics.

Edited by Radar

8 minutes ago, nsgallup said:

Does that apply to planet creation as well?

It applies to anything in any game.. I've developed for other companies in the past, using 3Ds Max (as I do) I can export to any format a game / other program will use. Most 3d programs now will export to FBX (most common export, not sure about Blender as I don't really use it) and Unity can import FBX. Everything I set in 3ds Max (smoothing groups, UVUnwraps, textures etc.will import in..

3D models of planets is one thing, but implementing the physics to the planets might be the hardest part. Gravity etc that I'm sure the Outer Planets people had to contend with last time will need to be added and given it's code will change, it's something they will have to figure out (if not documented) before a release if they were to do one.. 

Edited by Radar

Well that is good news, hopefully someone with the knowledge and interest will be around to port OPM when KSP2 comes out. Also crossing my fingers that KSP2 will meet or exceed high expectations.

Edited by nsgallup

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Most 3d programs now will export to FBX (most common export, not sure about Blender as I don't really use it) and Unity can import FBX.

Yes Blender can export FBX, but Unity will import the native blend format.

47 minutes ago, The_Arcitect said:

2. Will we see GP2 / GP3?

Considering KSP2 will have multiple star systems, it would be very odd for none of them to have gas giants. Also in the (non-gameplay but it'd be tantamount to a lie to stray THAT far from actual gameplay) trailer there are several gas giants shown, some even with rings.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

Yes Blender can export FBX, but Unity will import the native blend format.

I knew Unity imported Blender models, but I've stuck with what I know and more widely used in other games.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, mattinoz said:

Warp drive exists powered with exotic matter that seems to collect inside rubber wheels. First it was just a way of not having inflation issues in the vacuum of space. Until there odd super bounciness was harnessed into the k-drive. 

So excited for KSP2 but would add to your list

• Mod management features
  • Active Mod per game selection
  • Embedded peer to peer Mod delivery and updating, it was talked about a long long time ago having a BitTorrenSync  mod delivery system built-in.

These would be great for Multi-player as the host could set an environment for their crew and mod-delivery would take care of making sure everyone has the needed parts to play.

I always have this at back of my mind, is it a good idea for KSP to have its own official mod repository? Imagine when we download save files and craft files, all the mod dependencies can be automatically downloaded. And then a way to pin KSP version so that we can update base game after all the mods have support for latest KSP. This is pretty important as Steam forces updates to KSP, breaking mods

Edited by Aghanim
the forum is bugged

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

long term franchise development. KSP might not be a game for the masses, but the Kerbals most certainly can be. While there’s a certain hostility on this forum towards the LOLZ factor, it’s also a selling point, and you kinda expect them to be clumsy, stumbling, but endearing characters. If there’s a Minions movie, why not a Kerbal movie? T2 might see potential in developing a Kerbal culture that will spin off mobile games, Netflix movies, etc.

Am I gonna be on here someday, 'yelling' about how the Kerbal show my kid is watching ruins my childhood?

20 hours ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

You will almost certainly be proven wrong on all of those.

Why would it be always-online? That makes no sense for a Kerbal type game. How many games are always-online these days? Most of the ones I play aren't.

It probably won't because they've openly stated that they will be opening up more of the internal code for modders (or words to that effect, I don't know coding)

It. Will. Be. On. Steam. They keep saying this. There's really no legitimate reason to think otherwise, just fear and cynicism. Keep on them about this I guess, just to make sure, but I'd be massively surprised if it moved to Origin or EGS or whatever.

No it won't. Again, there's just no reason to think a Kerbal game would ever have microtransactions. How would that happen. Maybe small DLC with extra parts or cosmetic things, but that's all I can imagine for this. What kind of microtransactions are you expecting? I'm actually genuinely curious as to what people think will happen here.

Nothing on this yet, but there's no real reason to think it wouldn't also be on Mac and Linux. It'll probably start on just PC though, sure.

I know you're worried and I know that Take 2 and Private Division maybe don't have a good track record, but the actual tema making this seem to really know the game, and the community and they have a good understanding about what makes the original work. I know it's easy to be cynical about sequels, but I've got a really good feeling about this one. And hey, if it turns out I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will eventually be able to Mod KSP1 to give it a similar scope to what they're promising for KSP2.

I can point to dozens of single-player only games which are always online, and KSP2 doesn't even have that argument anymore, allegedly. Games are no longer individual experiences, they are "services" now.

Plenty of games with mod support have DRM.

I could easily counter saying that the only reason to believe it will stay on steam is hope and optimism. Despite what advertisements for lawyers tell you, past results are a good indicator of the future, its sort of what the scientific method is founded on.

Easy. Extra skins, extra parts, extra planets. You know all those upgrades for the buildings in career mode? Easy micro-transaction targets. Want to revert to launch for the 11th time that day? Sorry, you've run out of revert tokens, wait 24 hours, or pay the low, low price of 500 kurbles (i couldn't think of a better pun for a currency then with "ruble", sue me). Why would they do any of this? Because it would make them money, and people would pay for it. The people who make these kind of decisions don't care about you, they don't care about the game, and they certainly don't care about how you see them, because they know you're still going to buy it (Not "you", specifically, I don't mean this to be a personal attack).

It would cost extra money to hire or train support staff, and there's not enough revenue to be gained to offset it, so there's no reason to support it. They'd have more of an incentive to try and get it to run on iOS or Android before supporting MacOS or Desktop Linux.

As I stated, the team appears to be quite respectful of the original, and from the developer story trailer, I have no concerns on their judgement or ability to deliver. But the point you seemed to gloss over is this: They don't matter in this discussion. They don't get to make those decisions. They get a mandate from corporate, and they comply, or they get to spend some time polishing their resume, and given the job market in the industry right now, I think the choice is obvious. Until we have direct, explicit confirmation otherwise, and not through some wishy-washy "community manager" replies on a forum (I get you're just try doing your job with the information you have), I see no reason to assume anything but the worst.

I can appreciate your optimism, but optimism and leeway is how we got into this situation in the first place. There's a great piece of advice when looking at trailers, ask yourself "what aren't they showing you?", because that's what they don't want you to see. Then ask yourself, "Why don't they want me to see this?".

22 minutes ago, bx2m2 said:

Easy. Extra skins, extra parts, extra planets. You know all those upgrades for the buildings in career mode? Easy micro-transaction targets. Want to revert to launch for the 11th time that day? Sorry, you've run out of revert tokens, wait 24 hours, or pay the low, low price of 500 kurbles (i couldn't think of a better pun for a currency then with "ruble", sue me). Why would they do any of this? Because it would make them money, and people would pay for it. The people who make these kind of decisions don't care about you, they don't care about the game, and they certainly don't care about how you see them, because they know you're still going to buy it (Not "you", specifically, I don't mean this to be a personal attack).

Fel_KnaozasbtycbFJSygG_Nq0fla9ia_dLj-xa9check next time