Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

3 minutes ago, hello there said:

check next time

As optimistic as I am, that statement doesn't explicitly say they won't ever charge real money for anything.  It only says no in-game currency, and no lootboxes; those are not the only types of microtransactions.

That said, my gut feeling is that their avoidance of saying flat-out "no microtransactions of any kind" is due to an overabundance of caution in not wanting to get legally bitten in the butt if and when they announce paid expansions.

Dear Star.Theory/Private Division:  Paid expansion packs that add significant amounts of content are NOT microtransactions; you can say "we'll never have microtransactions in this game" and still have paid expansions.

12 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

As optimistic as I am, that statement doesn't explicitly say they won't ever charge real money for anything.  It only says no in-game currency, and no lootboxes; those are not the only types of microtransactions.

That said, my gut feeling is that their avoidance of saying flat-out "no microtransactions of any kind" is due to an overabundance of caution in not wanting to get legally bitten in the butt if and when they announce paid expansions.

Dear Star.Theory/Private Division:  Paid expansion packs that add significant amounts of content are NOT microtransactions; you can say "we'll never have microtransactions in this game" and still have paid expansions.

good point i hope that there is no dlc to be honest at least the game will not have dlc a while after it is launched hopefully

also when looking at sceen shots of ksp2 i think they are not building up a whole new game at least not for these screenshots

Edited by hello there

15 minutes ago, hello there said:

good point i hope that there is no dlc to be honest

Judging by what happened with this game over the last year, I'd say that your hopes of no DLC will be one in a million, unfortunately. I'm okay with DLC if it adds some minor changes and features, not when it locks off many fan requested features (extra launch sites and stock propellors, from MH and BG respectively)

8 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I'm okay with DLC if it adds some minor changes and features, not when it locks off many fan requested features

the kind of dlc i like is when the fans decided,thats why mod support will be SO cool 

Edited by hello there

Yeah, I'd be fine with like an EVA suit expansion pack where you get several different styles, maybe create your own, for like 5 or 10 bucks, or different science messages, stuff like that. Expansions could add new parts, but not in the way where if you want to make a certain type of vessel you need the DLC to make it (such as with the stock props from BG)

23 minutes ago, hello there said:

also when looking at sceen shots of ksp2 i think they are not building up a whole new game at least not for these screenshots

Its probably star theory is being careful on what get shown at this point. They don't want to show their whole hand just yet, they are going to tease us. They likely want to build as much hype as they can before launch. 

So far they have shown parts and locations that we should recognize from KSP1; and new parts and locations we should look forward to. I'm sure they have a lot more to show us before the release, but I can guaranty that star theory won't show us everything before the release.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

I can point to dozens of single-player only games which are always online, and KSP2 doesn't even have that argument anymore, allegedly. Games are no longer individual experiences, they are "services" now.

And I can point to dozens of games that have multiplayer which never need to be online.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

Plenty of games with mod support have DRM.

No opinion here. I have nothing against non-intrusive DRM and don't care if KSP2 has it.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

I could easily counter saying that the only reason to believe it will stay on steam is hope and optimism. Despite what advertisements for lawyers tell you, past results are a good indicator of the future, its sort of what the scientific method is founded on.

So the past result of KSP1 being on Steam, plus being told multiple times by a source that is both reliable and knowledgeable, should lead you to trust that KSP2 will be on Steam.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

Easy. Extra skins, extra parts, extra planets. You know all those upgrades for the buildings in career mode? Easy micro-transaction targets. Want to revert to launch for the 11th time that day? Sorry, you've run out of revert tokens, wait 24 hours, or pay the low, low price of 500 kurbles (i couldn't think of a better pun for a currency then with "ruble", sue me). Why would they do any of this? Because it would make them money, and people would pay for it. The people who make these kind of decisions don't care about you, they don't care about the game, and they certainly don't care about how you see them, because they know you're still going to buy it (Not "you", specifically, I don't mean this to be a personal attack).

So they put time and effort into making a planetary system and want to sell it for $5. Sounds fair.

As to the 11th revert... that's ridiculous. If you actually fear them doing that for real we can't have a rational conversation. You may as well fear they'll charge per pixel lighting up on your monitor.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

As I stated, the team appears to be quite respectful of the original, and from the developer story trailer, I have no concerns on their judgement or ability to deliver. But the point you seemed to gloss over is this: They don't matter in this discussion. They don't get to make those decisions. They get a mandate from corporate, and they comply, or they get to spend some time polishing their resume, and given the job market in the industry right now, I think the choice is obvious. Until we have direct, explicit confirmation otherwise, and not through some wishy-washy "community manager" replies on a forum (I get you're just try doing your job with the information you have), I see no reason to assume anything but the worst.

Okay then. I guess we can't have a rational conversation about it. As much as you don't believe the information you've been given, I also don't believe you'd accept that information from anyone. I'd actually not be surprised that when it comes out on Steam you're still skeptical that it's really there.

1 hour ago, bx2m2 said:

I can appreciate your optimism, but optimism and leeway is how we got into this situation in the first place. There's a great piece of advice when looking at trailers, ask yourself "what aren't they showing you?", because that's what they don't want you to see. Then ask yourself, "Why don't they want me to see this?".

What situation are we in? Our favorite game getting a sequel? What aren't they showing us? Are we supposed to be skeptical that they're not showing the CEO of Take Two kicking puppies because that must mean he's doing it?

Healthy skepticism is fine. I'm skeptical about the sequel even being necessary, and am willing to just up and not buy it in many cases. I think a lot of others are as well. But assuming not just the worst, but worse than the worst ever has been, isn't healthy and it's not skepticism. It's tinfoil-hat country.

6 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Exactly! Anyone who gets their panties in a bunch over Take Two being on a mission to “destroy the game” seems to think that KSP is the jewel in T2’s portfolio. And while it is for us, it’s not for Take Two.

Whatever the motivation was for T2 to get into indie games, it’s most certainly not the bottom line, as it’s a rounding error in the books, at best. There are plenty of strategic reasons to have a game like KSP under its umbrella, and none  of those   require, for instance, the hated micro-transactions (and as they negatively affect the game, make it unlikely for  MT to appear):

• the indie studios can act as a breeding ground for talent. Promoting that great coder to lead engineer? Maybe a bit risky for Counter Strike, but why don’t you lead a team in Private Division first? Less risk for Take Two, and with less pressure on the new lead also a better chance of success.
  • there’s value in having non-violent, yes educational games in your portfolio. If public opinion turns against companies that produce mass shooter games (regardless of what the science says about games inducing violence; public opinion doesn’t work like that), then you don’t want to be that company that only sells violent games
  • long term franchise development. KSP might not be a game for the masses, but the Kerbals most certainly can be. While there’s a certain hostility on this forum towards the LOLZ factor, it’s also a selling point, and you kinda expect them to be clumsy, stumbling, but endearing characters. If there’s a Minions movie, why not a Kerbal movie? T2 might see potential in developing a Kerbal culture that will spin off mobile games, Netflix movies, etc.

Those are just a couple of the things I can come up with. For none of these, T2 will require the game to be a commercial blockbuster. Obviously they don’t want to hemorrhage money from it either, but I doubt it’s about maximizing profits. In fact, I suspect T2 wants the game to be a gaming success, much more than a financial success. And that would mean an exciting future,

This (and the bit you quoted) is the most intelligent and well thought out post on this entire forum so far. Thank you for bringing some more reason and level-headedness to this. I get that people are terrified that Take Two will introduce microtransactions or whatever, but as you so brilliantly pointed out, they would have absolutely no reason to. Thank you.

Wouldn't it be great if a slightly modified version of the cinematic trailer is used as a (skippable) intro at every boot?
Modern games can't seem to get enough of that, and honestly I'd gladly watch that cinematic at every game start!

5 hours ago, nsgallup said:

I wish they would implement Outer Planets Mod into KSP2

They said yesterday in the interview that Kerbol system would be the same, ut enhanced with some  new assets in the Kerbolar system, apart from the the new solar systems they add, so we might expect some new bodies spinning their way around Kerbol.

1 hour ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

This (and the bit you quoted) is the most intelligent and well thought out post on this entire forum so far. Thank you for bringing some more reason and level-headedness to this. I get that people are terrified that Take Two will introduce microtransactions or whatever, but as you so brilliantly pointed out, they would have absolutely no reason to. Thank you.

KSP has already become a cultural phenomenon far beyond the core game itself, I guess due to the New Space race and Elon Musk shenanigans. "How not to land an orbital rocket booster" video is shown alongside Kerbal videos in Youtube suggestions because it is a very Kerbal style video about rocket science, failure and optimism.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:27 AM, PulsarPixie said:

Q: Will it be made available on Mac and/or Linux?

A: We have no announcements for these platforms at this time, but we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many players as we can!

Looks fantastic, but no Linux support no purchase from me.

Very VERY disappointed that consoles are at a higher priority; KSP is not really a game for consoles. Interface is just too complex. Kudos for actually making it work, but far more enjoyable using a PC.  Given these priorities it's obvious that Epic is just following the money.

Gutted. At least @SQUAD are still maintaining and building on KSP1.  Have bought all the DLC, not particularly because I wanted it, but because they are one of the few companies to support gaming on Linux. On top of that no DRM.  So in my books they deserve my full support.

18 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I would love to see something offical about this. It seems folks are just guessing at this point.

Check on the first page, there is something official 

2 minutes ago, greenrolf said:

I am disappointed that there is no Mac support neither :unsure:

Given it's Unity-based it should be fairly trivial to make it multi-platform.  Which is a benefit beyond slightly expanding your customer base since cross-platform development generally exposes far more issues and results in a much better code base.

1 hour ago, micha said:

Given it's Unity-based it should be fairly trivial to make it multi-platform.  Which is a benefit beyond slightly expanding your customer base since cross-platform development generally exposes far more issues and results in a much better code base.

I don't think it's exactly trivial, but it shouldn't be a big deal. More important is IMHO your second point: building it multi-platform from the start discourages "quick hacks" that only work on Windooze and are a pain to fix afterwards. I honestly don't understand why so few games build for multi platform from the start.

Edited by AHHans
Changed wording to improve clarity.

4 hours ago, micha said:

Looks fantastic, but no Linux support no purchase from me.

Very VERY disappointed that consoles are at a higher priority.....

It's cost and market share.  It costs money to develop and support a game on each platform, money that could be spent on other aspects of the game.  There are far more people playing on consoles than there are on Linux so you're going to get more sales and more people enjoying KSP if you focus on Xbox and Playstation over Linux.
They don't have infinite budget or time so it has to be spent where it's going to make the most difference and that's unlikely to be Linux.

According to steam over 96% of users are an a flavour of windows.  With those numbers it's very hard to convince someone to spend money on supporting OSx and Linux when they make up such a small percentage of the player base.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

1 minute ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

According to steam over 96% of users are an a flavour of windows.

I guess that's for the general player base. And what's the number for KSP players?

7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

...not when it locks off many fan requested features (extra launch sites and stock propellors, from MH and BG respectively)

Given the little gameplay footage in the IGN video, extra launch sites are in the base game.

Just now, AHHans said:

I guess that's for the general player base. And what's the number for KSP players?

I don't know.  I would assume that the percentages are roughly the same.
Squad and TakeTwo have that data though.  If they've decided to focus on windows and consoles it's because they believe that's where the majority of the player base is.