Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

56 minutes ago, hello there said:

you really think they would ever add micro transactions 

Doesn't matter what I think.

They didn't say no.

57 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Read the intent, not the words. The people writing that aren’t lawyers, so stop analyzing it like they are.  

It could have just said no.

59 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

They haven’t denied that it’s going the be a first-person shooter game either, so we’re forced to assume that’s what it’s going to be, right?

I’m glad someone brought up the micro-transactions though, it’s about time!

FPS argument is a classic straw man.

Their "answer" to the micro-transactions is still NOT a 'no'.

Just now, Ratwerke_Actual said:

FPS argument is a classic straw man.

Their "answer" to the micro-transactions is still NOT a 'no'.

That’s because micro-transactions means different things to different people. They have to be specific what they mean. 

If they said no, then sure enough a year later when they will release an expansion pack someone will be like “YoU sAiD n0 MiCrOtRaNsAcTiOns!!!!!!?”

1 minute ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

An expansion pack is a microtransaction?

Micro means 20 bucks?

Lol

mi·cro·trans·ac·tion
/ˌmīkrōtranˈzakSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a very small financial transaction conducted online.

I consider $20 a very small transaction.

Didn't they already assure that there will be no microtransactions?

"Kerbal Space Program 2 will not have a purchasable in-game currency or loot boxes. A multitude of microtransactions has never been a part of Kerbal and we are not bringing it to KSP2. Our focus will be to deliver solid, impactful content our fans will love to incorporate into their game. Right now, we’re focused on a great launch!"

Edit: For the record, I don't consider DLC's "Micro transactions" as long as they don't contain content that is essentially necessary to play the game

Edited by Vinhero100

On 8/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, Aaodon said:

Two old boys are back!!! Cannot wait for them.

Kerbal Space Program

Microsoft Flight Simulator

On 8/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

It's gonna be 2013 all over again! :D

For me, it's gonna be 1995 again - I was playing Microsoft Space Simulator then - it ran on MS-DOS.

Microsoft_space_simulator_cover.jpg
It was crude by today's standards, but a lot of fun back then.
I still have the set of install floppy disks in a box somewhere, not that they can be used anymore...

13 hours ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

It's cost and market share.  It costs money to develop and support a game on each platform, money that could be spent on other aspects of the game.  

There's practically no native code in a Unity game. Mostly it's just recompile and deploy. So development costs are very low to support additional desktop platforms. Agreed there'd be some additional support costs, but historically Linux users tend to fix their own issues without resorting to official support channels.

There's far more difference between Desktop Windows and PlayStation than between Desktop Windows and Desktop Linux - not from a Unity perspective, but from a UI/game design perspective requiring additional design and development effort. For sure, there's a bigger potential market and hence a bigger incentive.

Anyway, I've made my point. It looks great, and I hope for everybody that it will be and that it continues the spirit of KSP on to greater things, but, for me, I'll wait and see what happens as far as Linux support goes.

So, the things I can think of are:

1. parts count

2. Linux(read no plans yet. Or no statement.)

3. Flight model? I can never get the mods working!

4. Engineering focus and stuff. More detail to squash parts(unless not needed. #1)

5. Can't remember.

16 minutes ago, micha said:

There's practically no native code in a Unity game. Mostly it's just recompile and deploy. So development costs are very low to support additional desktop platforms. Agreed there'd be some additional support costs, but historically Linux users tend to fix their own issues without resorting to official support channels.

There's far more difference between Desktop Windows and PlayStation than between Desktop Windows and Desktop Linux - not from a Unity perspective, but from a UI/game design perspective requiring additional design and development effort. For sure, there's a bigger potential market and hence a bigger incentive.

Anyway, I've made my point. It looks great, and I hope for everybody that it will be and that it continues the spirit of KSP on to greater things, but, for me, I'll wait and see what happens as far as Linux support goes.

Or they make it far more entertaining when they do!! ><

You can't deny the pure entertainment value of a 3k plus part spaghetti monster.

Now the question is will the spaghetti monster return!? 8D

Without linux support we may never find out! 8o

Edited by Arugela

28 minutes ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

It's a simple question.

And they gave a simple answer. They didn't say "no" which is all I expect you'll accept, but they did flat out say no to the kinds of microtransactions that are bad for gaming.

It's like asking if there are chemicals in a food product. Of course there are. But not BAD ones.

I was watching a video on this. I forgot one detail that never got in the game I forgot about. Walking inside ships! We got looking in cockpit but never walking.

Will KSP2 have walking inside structures?

Edited by Arugela

On 8/22/2019 at 11:37 PM, Kerbart said:

They didn’t say “no first person shooter” there. Following the “they didn’t say no micro transaction” logic, this means it’s a first person shooter.

Your logic it's flawed. The GP has a point. By carefully choose of words, you can say sonething to induce people to believe you have answered a question without really doing it.

The wording is clear: there will be not ingame currency, but no words about micro-transactions means that they DID NOT answered the question about it. So by logical inference, it's a "maybe".

I see some problems on a friendly modding game that have some kind of micro-transactions: How to prevent Add'ons to provide the fearure you intended to earn some money from?

— POST EDIT — 

I heard from here that there will not be DRM at least on Single Player. Without DRM, micro-transactions are unfeasible.

There's still a chance that DRM would be applied to Multiplayer - what's make sense. So, if micro-transactions will be ever implemented on the game, will be on the Multiplayer.

Edited by Lisias
post edit

17 minutes ago, Lisias said:

So by logical inference, it's a "maybe".

They didn't say "no".  They also didn't say "yes". 
They also didn't say "KSP2 will not involve FPS, a fishing mini-game, international poker tournaments, MMORPG style play, or a thousand different ways to peel potatoes".  Therefore, we cannot absolutely rule those out, either.

In the absence of evidence either way, there's no reason to believe they are planning microtransactions.

I'm pretty sure that by this point, "they"1 are aware of how the community feels.  Continuing to argue over it is going to go nowhere at this point, no matter which side you're on.

And frankly, that goes for every other bit of this game.  We have seen, at best, some ideas of what the game will include.  Until release day, we will have no real guarantee of what the game will involve.  Wild speculation based on a complete lack of any information beyond "KSP2 is being made" is totally useless and serves no purpose at all.  Shall we argue over what flavor the sky in KSP2 should be?  It's going to do just as much good and mean just as much nothing until we get some concrete information, which is not likely to be any damn time soon.

1Where "they" is Squad, T2, the devs, some random guy on the internet, Walter O'Reilly, my dog, the collective justices of the Supreme Court, your dog, some random guy on the internet's dog, Walter O'Reilly's teddy bear2, or anybody else.

2Apparently named "Tiger" by the actor.  Which is as pointless as any of the argument over what is/isn't involved in KSP2.

Edited by razark

9 minutes ago, razark said:

They didn't say "no".  They also didn't say "yes". 

Exactly! Who didn't said that you were not capable of understanding a so simple concept? :)

They also didn't say "KSP2 will not involve FPS, a fishing mini-game, international poker tournaments, MMORPG style play, or a thousand different ways to peel potatoes".  Therefore, we cannot absolutely rule those out, either.

Well, I'm not saying neither that you are a rational human being, capable to understand simple sentences and understanding the concept of subtexts. :)

I'm pretty sure that by this point, "they"1 are aware of how the community feels.  Continuing to argue over it is going to go nowhere at this point, no matter which side you're on.

Not an argument to that. So It's logical to ignore you, and keep the conversation with the ones here that know how to argue without poisoning the well,  appeals to authority or spin-doctoring. :)

22 minutes ago, Lisias said:

How to prevent Add'ons to provide the fearure you intended to earn some money from?

As long as you are doing something big enough that a mod struggles to pull it off in a clean and stable way, you are in the clear.

See: Breaking Ground and Infernal Robotics.

Okay let's assume they're planning on charging for every launch and to unlock every part. And if you want to use Jeb that's $.50 a mission. And they are diabolical about it so they're lying to our faces and saying "no. no way would we ever do that."

And they're sitting in a chair petting a white cat, of course.

How is this going to work out for them? Do you believe they expect it to be a positive result? You must, else you wouldn't expect them to do it.

3 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Huh.  I noticed you skipped over the "In the absence of evidence either way, there's no reason to believe they are planning microtransactions." part.  (Nor did you address what purpose any arguing over this serves in the first place.)

So, pray tell, why are we getting our panties in a wad over something that's not happening yet?

Don't tell me what "they" said, tell me why you think it means the opposite of what "they" did say.

:rolleyes:

What sort of microtransactions would they add? Skins? Those can be modded in, so there isn't much incentive to purchase them.

Parts? Also moddable

Planets? Moddable...

Why sell trickled down parts for .99 cents if they can just pack a bunch, slap a 20$ pricetag and call it a DLC?

If (and that's a big IF) they add microtransaction, just don't buy the game... KSP1 is here and isn't going anywhere... Arguing with random strangers on the internet about the exact wording on a statement won't accomplish anything, make your point with your wallet...

Besides, they know very well the community stance on this, adding microtransaction will result in a big backlash.