Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

55 minutes ago, TBenz said:

As long as you are doing something big enough that a mod struggles to pull it off in a clean and stable way, you are in the clear.

Exactly. What could mean the API manipulation to reach that, by preventing any "competition" to be stable. I don't wanna to get into technical on this, but the industry is full of examples of such things (lets use DR-DOS versus Microsoft on the Win3 era as an example).

So I'm very skeptical that micro-transactions will be used on the game, as this potentially would push away content Authors they, apparently, intent to gather with. On the other hand, the wording appears to carefully avoid closing such door.

My opinion? It's implied by this time. Yes, the wording is carefully crafted, but the logic tells me too that the historical need of content Authors to keep the eco-system satisfied on an indie game strongly implies that it's unlikely that micro-transactions will be used in the near future on KSP2. Of course, I'm not even touching the DRM questioning, that would weight somewhat on my opinion.

— post edit — 

Anyway, as Carl Sagan said once: "Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence." — when explicitly asked by an evidence of absence of micro-transactions, they gone silent on the issue. So I hardly blame anyone here for speculating about.

Edited by Lisias
tyops - and a post edit.

Wondering if FTL travel or near light speed travel mechanics will be addressed in this game since its going interstellar. possible alcubierre drive requiring some exotic matter that has to be hunted down, mined, and transported to build them as incentive to build stellar infrastructure....

Also really curious to see how other solar systems will be handled. How many will there be? will there be a full galaxy? Is there any room for procedural generation? (I hope so, if there can be a stock interstellar neighborhood then have procedurally generated rest of the solar system to a galactic boundary, that would be perfect)

Will we see exotic stars? Can we travel to nebulae or binary systems or dwarf/neutron/pulsar etc.. type stars? will there be black holes maybe? 

I cant wait to see what new things this game brings

Wow... this whole micro transaction/drm/dlc thing is getting out of hand. There are pages of circular arguments. Not only in this thread but also in the actual KSP2 section too.

The world isn't black or white, neither is the wording they used for the statements about the aforementioned topics. It's about star theory's intent. If star theory's intent doesn't match their actions, then go ballistic about the topic.

The people at star theory are avid fans of KSP. Do you think they want to destroy a game they love? Do you think they want to liquid off the well established; very passionate community they are creating the game for? Huh?

This isn't some free to play pc, android, or iPhone game they are making, it's going to be a paid product. There's no reason to have micro transactions in the game. They will get paid once the game starts selling. The only thing you should expect to see in the future is dlc. At that point you can choose to buy it or not.

As for the whole DRM thing, the worst thing they can do is force you to launch the game through whatever service you bought it through. But again, why would star theory screw over the modding community by only allowing one instance on a machine or account. They know KSP is all about mods. Why would they muck that up?

I know some have their reservations about take two and private division, some are justified, some aren't. So far they have left KSP1 alone. If they continue on the same track, they should do the same for KSP2. But we won't know that until the game is released, so why argue about it now. You can get the pitchforks and torches at that point.

24 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Wondering if FTL travel or near light speed travel mechanics will be addressed in this game since its going interstellar. possible alcubierre drive requiring some exotic matter that has to be hunted down, mined, and transported to build them as incentive to build stellar infrastructure

No they're not. All propulsion methods will be grounded in current and near future technology and science. No FTL, warp drives, warp gates.

27 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Wondering if FTL travel or near light speed travel mechanics will be addressed in this game since its going interstellar. possible alcubierre drive requiring some exotic matter that has to be hunted down, mined, and transported to build them as incentive to build stellar infrastructure....

They specifically said in an interview that there's "no warp drive" but I feel like they were referring to this in a Star Trek sense, because, far-fetched though it is, an Alcubierre-style warp drive could be considered plausible in the same vein as some of the things that it looks like they'er introducing with KSP2. I hope they do add an A-drive in some form, and use a similar model to RoverDude's mod or Kerbal Interstellar, where it is the absolute peak of the tech tree and costs hundreds of thousands of science, and requires a lot of energy that can only be generated from high-tier generators. Time will tell. I'm so excited to send out interstellar missions.

6 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

No they're not. All propulsion methods will be grounded in current and near future technology and science. No FTL, warp drives, warp gates.

I hope special relativity mechanics enter the game then or at least allowing timesteps while accelerating

Even if they don't add any form of warp drive, there are two great mods for KSP1 that add those in a balanced and near-realistic way. I would be very surprised if those mods didn't make the move to KSP2 in some form if there was a niche for them to fill. 

1 minute ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

I hope they do add an A-drive in some form, and use a similar model to RoverDude's mod or Kerbal Interstellar, where it is the absolute peak of the tech tree and costs hundreds of thousands of science, and requires a lot of energy that can only be generated from high-tier generators. Time will tell. I'm so excited to send out interstellar missions.

specifically:" it is the absolute peak of the tech tree" this

it gives something to work towards, id like a reason to build colonies. KSP lacked, IMHO, in giving incentives to progression. this is part of what drew me in a game like factorio where in advancement required resource which requires exploration which requires advancement...

Just now, mcwaffles2003 said:

it gives something to work towards, id like a reason to build colonies. KSP lacked, IMHO, in giving incentives to progression. this is part of what drew me in a game like factorio where in advancement required resource which requires exploration which requires advancement...

Yeah, same here. Last time I played KSP1 I had Community tech tree and RoverDude's Alcubierre warp drive installed (along with a few other near-future tech mods), and it really gave late-game science collecting some meaning. I hope we get that in the stock version of KSP2.

2 minutes ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

Yeah, same here. Last time I played KSP1 I had Community tech tree and RoverDude's Alcubierre warp drive installed (along with a few other near-future tech mods), and it really gave late-game science collecting some meaning. I hope we get that in the stock version of KSP2.

In KSP 1, what ultimately was the point of going to another planet or hunting an asteroid other than the enjoyment of getting there? really hope were given better reasons to explore and bother making colonies. 

I just had a thought. Yes this is another "what I'd like to see in KSP2" post, which I understand is completely pointless, but I thought it would be fun to get other people's opinions on this.

It's pretty clear they're expanding the resource model for the game. I'd really like to see the new resources to be as ambiguous as "Ore" in KSP1. Maybe the new ones could be things like Metal, Water, Air and Gas, where you can form your own conclusions/headcanon about what they actually represent. I feel like that would fit nicely into that Kerbal niche between realistic and cartoony. So you can harvest different resources from different planets/biomes, and even harvest things like "Air" or "Gas" from atmospheres, and then bring it to a refinery where you can refine them into different usable resources. A bit like the Community Resource Pack, but maybe slightly simplified/streamlined.

2 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

In KSP 1, what ultimately was the point of going to another planet or hunting an asteroid other than the enjoyment of getting there? really hope were given better reasons to explore and bother making colonies. 

Yeah, not that the enjoyment of going isn't reason enough most of the time, but you're right, it would still be nice to have more in-game incentive for late-game exploration, even after you max out the tech tree.

6 minutes ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

I just had a thought. Yes this is another "what I'd like to see in KSP2" post, which I understand is completely pointless, but I thought it would be fun to get other people's opinions on this.

It's pretty clear they're expanding the resource model for the game. I'd really like to see the new resources to be as ambiguous as "Ore" in KSP1. Maybe the new ones could be things like Metal, Water, Air and Gas, where you can form your own conclusions/headcanon about what they actually represent. I feel like that would fit nicely into that Kerbal niche between realistic and cartoony. So you can harvest different resources from different planets/biomes, and even harvest things like "Air" or "Gas" from atmospheres, and then bring it to a refinery where you can refine them into different usable resources. A bit like the Community Resource Pack, but maybe slightly simplified/streamlined.

Yeah, not that the enjoyment of going isn't reason enough most of the time, but you're right, it would still be nice to have more in-game incentive for late-game exploration, even after you max out the tech tree.

i agree but also i feel that might be over simplistic. im hoping its like you want to establish a colony on planet 1 cause it is rich in resources a, b, and c then establish another colony on planet 2 cause it has resource c, e, and f

then make planets close have resources needed in early game while resources for building late game tech are all on exotic planets in other systems. fill in the middle with a progression through semi rare resources

8 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

i agree but also i feel that might be over simplistic. im hoping its like you want to establish a colony on planet 1 cause it is rich in resources a, b, and c then establish another colony on planet 2 cause it has resource c, e, and f

Yeah, that would be ideal, different planets are rich/poor in different resources, giving further reason for exploration and colonisation of multiple bodies.

I think my idea is a bit simplistic, and it would probably end up being pretty unbalanced. I'm excited to see what we get in the eventual release.

Edited by PunkRockZoologist

Just now, PunkRockZoologist said:

Yeah, that would be ideal, different planets are rich/poor in different resources, giving further reason for exploration and colonisation of multipla bodies.

i just cant wait, though if theyre in pre alpha now im skeptical of a pre april launch, hope these guys have the talent and vision to take this game to a whole nother level. in KSP 1 we built a space agency, hoping in 2 we begin space societies

3 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

i just cant wait, though if theyre in pre alpha now im skeptical of a pre april launch, hope these guys have the talent and vision to take this game to a whole nother level. in KSP 1 we built a space agency, hoping in 2 we begin space societies

Yeah, they said "Spring 2020" and that's Northern Hemisphere obviously, so I guess that would be like April-May-June-ish. If they reach that window I'm expecting it to be late in it, towards mid-June, which means I'll have a nice new game to play for hours when I'm hibernating for the Southern Hemisphere winter :D 

20 minutes ago, PunkRockZoologist said:

Yeah, they said "Spring 2020" and that's Northern Hemisphere obviously, so I guess that would be like April-May-June-ish. If they reach that window I'm expecting it to be late in it, towards mid-June, which means I'll have a nice new game to play for hours when I'm hibernating for the Southern Hemisphere winter :D 

https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-release-date-multiplayer-everything-we-know/

What is the Kerbal Space Program 2 release date?

We don't have an exact release date just yet, but we do have a release window. Kerbal Space Program 2 is due out on Steam and—according the the press release—"other digital storefronts" in spring 2020. Specifically, it will release before the end of Take-Two's 2020 fiscal year, meaning you'll be able to buy it before March 31 of next year. Console releases will follow sometime later.

spring starts march 21st... thats too small a window

26 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Specifically, it will release before the end of Take-Two's 2020 fiscal year, meaning you'll be able to buy it before March 31 of next year.

So they can't slip at all without missing the fiscal and screwing up all the financials and seriously annoying their corporate masters. Having done the release date death march a few times myself, my suggestion is they avoid the Christmas rush and move cots into the office right away.

9 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Having done the release date death march a few times myself, my suggestion is they avoid the Christmas rush and move cots into the office right away.

I personally would prefer if they crew would get a decent Christmas break, and slip the release date if necessary, but I agree that your solution is the more likely one. :/

1 minute ago, AHHans said:

I personally would prefer if they crew would get a decent Christmas break, and slip the release date if necessary, but I agree that your solution is the more likely one. :/

12 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

So they can't slip at all without missing the fiscal and screwing up all the financials and seriously annoying their corporate masters. Having done the release date death march a few times myself, my suggestion is they avoid the Christmas rush and move cots into the office right away.

seriously though, i hope they take their time and optimize the hell out of this. almost wish i didnt know it was coming out. with what  little we've been given thus far theres too much room to hope on speculation.

tl;dr im anxious

I wouldn't mind if loading speeds were faster, but I do hope they keep saves and craft files human readable, so we can fix glitches and errors, and have a little leeway with mistakes. One of the great things about KSP1 is how open and modifiable it was.

A mod switches names? Maybe you need to strip a mod part for some reason? Just a find and replace and now those  error causing gadgets are cubic struts. 

If they do compress these files, an included  converter would be nice. 

Edited by Tw1

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

seriously though, i hope they take their time and optimize the hell out of this.

The only case where that is possible is indie dev, and even then it would probably have to be a single indie dev, getting a group of people to agree to delaying release and income in favor of the greater good of the framework is not easy.

Everyone else, including anyone contracted to Take Two, is working modern corporate game dev and that means they have a delivery schedule that compresses every step to the absolute minimum required. Getting a solid framework/engine out of those conditions is a matter of really good architects/developers who can think their way through an extremely complex problem and get almost everything right the first time, there won't be time to refactor/redesign any part of the core. And even really good developers need a degree of luck to pull that off.

Don't get me wrong, I think 2 will undoubtedly be a much better base, it'd be hard not to be, but there will probably be features that sounded great on paper but didn't work out so well in practice, and there wasn't bandwidth or time to loop back and redo whatever the problem is. All we can do is pray and maybe sacrifice a few green Kerbal chicken-like creatures that those rough corners aren't in critical places.

2 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

The only case where that is possible is indie dev, and even then it would probably have to be a single indie dev, getting a group of people to agree to delaying release and income in favor of the greater good of the framework is not easy.

Everyone else, including anyone contracted to Take Two, is working modern corporate game dev and that means they have a delivery schedule that compresses every step to the absolute minimum required. Getting a solid framework/engine out of those conditions is a matter of really good architects/developers who can think their way through an extremely complex problem and get almost everything right the first time, there won't be time to refactor/redesign any part of the core. And even really good developers need a degree of luck to pull that off.

Don't get me wrong, I think 2 will undoubtedly be a much better base, it'd be hard not to be, but there will probably be features that sounded great on paper but didn't work out so well in practice, and there wasn't bandwidth or time to loop back and redo whatever the problem is. All we can do is pray and maybe sacrifice a few green Kerbal chicken-like creatures that those rough corners aren't in critical places.

You think it'll launch in beta or 1.0?

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

It could be called Sun. Or Sün. Or Suhn. Or Johnny. My problem isn't that it has a name. My problem is that the name is Kerbol. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to my brain.

Ah. Sorry for that. I like Kerbol. XD

But I don't like fingernails on a chalkboard. :P

The "more Kerbals as research increases" is like that to me (some recent dev comments), so I hope a mod will change the progression, and instead link Kerbal numbers to time/resources (yes, timeskip means you can game that system, but I want a sim + game, not a "game" where they add grind, pretending the grind is gameplay :P ).

10 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

You think it'll launch in beta or 1.0?

No idea, I don't know the people involved, and even the people who know the people don't know the plan they're trying to execute. I'm certainly rooting for them as a win here will be a pretty big win for everyone, most of all the fans.