Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

32 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

*Gets hyped for ksp 2. Remembers that ksp ee breaking ground never came out :(. RIP Breaking Ground for console, you will be missed bro!!!!

@UomoCapra, @SQUAD

Oh, yeah, moderators, how will the new game be supported forum wise?

@adsii1970, @Dman979

The support and development of KSP on consoles hasn't stopped and we don't intend to do so. Stay tuned ;)

Regarding the other question: This forum will continue to be the official forum of the KSP franchise. We will open KSP 2 dedicated section in a future date :)

16 minutes ago, Numberyellow said:

I am of two minds on this....

One is filled with excitement, and optimism.....it pleases me to hear that a sequel is being developed.

The other Is filled with doubt, concern, and worry. My concerns are as follows..

That's to be expected of something announced with few details and no direct information from seeing the game played.

I think most of us are of two minds.  I think many, like myself, have decided to focus on the good possibilities.  That doesn't make the unpleasant ones any less likely, but we've decided not to dwell on them as there is really little we can do one way or another.

- Star Theory is a dev team made up of people we've never heard of, and some people from Uber, who's only games of note were Monday Night Combat, and Planetary Annihilation. I don't see a whole lot under their belt, that tells me they can do this well enough to stack up to the absolutely legendary work that SQUAD has done with this game.

- To what extent is SQUAD involved with the development process? I've read that some SQUAD employees will be serving in an advisory capacity..but what exactly does that mean?

I've heard (but can't locate the reference) that some of the members of Star Theory are former SQUAD staff who parted ways with SQUAD.

- Why isn't SQUAD doing this game themselves?

I think this is connected to why SQUAD was sold to 2K, see my comments below.

- I know they're saying NOW that there aren't going to be any microtransactions, or in-game currency or purchases....but this is 2K we're talking about. Can we really be expected to believe that they're not going to demand the developers shoehorn this garbage in later?

Apparently some 2K products similar to KSP, under Private Division, are without monetization features.  All we can do is hope that continues with KSP.  They've got the numbers on the two DLCs and the forecasts for KSP2 (from Steam wishlist numbers, etc.) to let them know what they can get out of it.  And they must know that any other monetization features would suffer a large backlash.

- Their trailer looks like a visually upgraded version of the current game, with a ton of community mods implemented as base-level features.

I think we're really going to have to way to see more detailed information on how the game actually plays before we can be sure.

I'm worried about a lot of this... i'm honestly not sure i trust anyone but SQUAD to do this right. When you hand an IP over to someone else for development, you ALWAYS lose something in the translation from the original IP holder's vision, to the new holder's vision.. I mean, i hope the new guys don't screw this up, but i can't shake the feeling that this isn't going to be everything the flashy videos are promising. I still think SQUAD made a mistake selling to Take-two/2K

I think the nature of SQUAD was that it wasn't going to develope KSP significantly on its own.  We may have even seen less from the recent releases without the sale.

Only time will tell the true tale of whether 2K and KSP2 are good moves for KSP.

Edited by Jacke

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Just making a correction here. SQUAD was NOT sold to 2K, only the rights to KSP were sold. SQUAD is still a completely independent studio that has no relationship anymore to KSP, except for any work that 2K decides to contract to them. 

Also while SQUAD did an amazing job with KSP, having purchased the game way back when it was in it's early Alpha stage, it was later contractors to be honest that SQUAD contracted with that truly brought the game up to speed. With great respect for SQUAD's vision, I hate to say that I don't think SQUAD would have been able to take KSP any further, especially after the tremendous downsizing they did after the 2K purchase of KSP. 

While I know nothing of Star Theory, all I'm pointing out is that a new studio was a must to expand KSP in to KSP2. Whether it'll be great, bad or indifferent only time will tell, but I have more hope that it's with a new developer than had it been being developed by SQUAD. AGAIN, nothing negative here about SQUAD other than just historically how the game has developed.

19 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I've heard (but can't locate the reference) that some of the members of Star Theory are former SQUAD staff who parted ways with SQUAD.

If this is true, that could be good.... I mean, obviously it's none of the key people, which sucks, but if what you heard is correct, and it is people familiar enough with the first game, MAYBE they've got a shot.

21 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Bob's right... SQUAD wasn't sold to 2K, SQUAD sold the KSP IP to 2K.....which i still think was a mistake.

22 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I think we're really going to have to way to see more detailed information on how the game actually plays before we can be sure.

Oh, for sure.... I'm just saying what it looks like now, based on what they've featured. I've seen HEAPS of stock KSP parts, and even some mod parts.. Plus, based on what they've said about interstellar travel, and colonization (which we already have in KSP, thanks to community modding), it just seems like what i said in my post above.. But you are right about needing to see more.

One thing they're addressing, that i'm completely behind is the game being optimized to allow for large constructs, without the game becoming an unplayable slideshow...as you know, old friend, this is something i've have major issues with, and why i don't play so much anymore..

You're right about the time thing... we hafta wait a bit longer, to see how this all shakes out. But until i see for sure that this is gonna be good, i'm gonna harbor reservations. Been burned too many time on developer hype, and promises.

There's a lot of speculation and "Ideas" on what may or may not be truth about Squad, internal Squad machinations, business relationships and business transactions in the past, KSP history and background, etc. Most (cause there may be one or two things I haven't read) of it is wrong.
I really don't see the point, when nearly everyone on the forum does not have the facts (only snippits they may have read, which they may even have interpreted incorrectly, let alone if said information was actually accurate and factual). Is your intent is to try and justify your thoughts? or allay your fears? etc.

Rest assured that Private Division, Star Theory and Squad all want the same outcome that you want. A great sequel to a great game that everyone will love and enjoy for years to come. Best thing would be to just wait and see as more information is publicly announced and finally KSP 2 is released.

26 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

The support and development of KSP on consoles hasn't stopped and we don't intend to do so. Stay tuned ;)

Regarding the other question: This forum will continue to be the official forum of the KSP franchise. We will open KSP 2 dedicated section in a future date :)

Thank you!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

There's a lot of speculation and "Ideas" on what may or may not be truth about Squad, internal Squad machinations, business relationships and business transactions in the past, KSP history and background, etc. Most (cause there may be one or two things I haven't read) of it is wrong.
I really don't see the point, when nearly everyone on the forum does not have the facts (only snippits they may have read, which they may even have interpreted incorrectly, let alone if said information was actually accurate and factual). Is your intent is to try and justify your thoughts? or allay your fears? etc.

Rest assured that Private Division, Star Theory and Squad all want the same outcome that you want. A great sequel to a great game that everyone will love and enjoy for years to come. Best thing would be to just wait and see as more information is publicly announced and finally KSP 2 is released.

thanks things were getting of of hand

53 minutes ago, hello there said:

thanks things were getting of of hand

Until 2 pages later when it starts again because people don't read. Same as this micro transaction crap. You will either play it, or you won't. 39 pages on and over half of it is repeated.

33 minutes ago, Radar said:

Until 2 pages later when it starts again because people don't read. Same as this micro transaction crap. You will either play it, or you won't. 39 pages on and over half of it is repeated.

exactly 

54 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Best thing would be to just wait and see as more information is publicly announced and finally KSP 2 is released.

Hey, good luck with that.

Provided with an internet connection and forum access, people will speculate with ever-increasing wildness about anything at all until we have irrefutable connections to the Lizard People. Even in situations like this, where a release date of next spring means the team has to be well past design and in full execution mode, people will still list off every idea they ever had about the game in question.

Tldr; the 300 at Thermopylae had better odds :) 

31 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Hey, good luck with that.

Provided with an internet connection and forum access, people will speculate with ever-increasing wildness about anything at all until we have irrefutable connections to the Lizard People. Even in situations like this, where a release date of next spring means the team has to be well past design and in full execution mode, people will still list off every idea they ever had about the game in question.

Tldr; the 300 at Thermopylae had better odds :) 

I was referring to all the discussions about Squad and the past. Which was off topic for this thread.
By all means discuss all you like about KSP 2. Which is the topic of this thread.

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

PLEASE PLEASE make reward (somekind of MEDAL) thing in kerbal,  like when jeb is success landing in MUN he get Medal, and exp in kerbal give more impact for kerbal, in KSP 1 there are no big different between kerbal lv 3 and 4 etc

AND AND dont forget about stupidity and courage in kerbal maybe it has some important effect for kerbals

Edited by DiscoveryPlanet

15 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

PLEASE PLEASE make reward (somekind of MEDAL) thing in kerbal,  like when jeb is success landing in MUN he get Medal, and exp in kerbal give more impact for kerbal, in KSP 1 there are no big different between kerbal lv 3 and 4 etc

AND AND dont forget about stupidity and courage in kerbal maybe it has some important effect for kerbals

There's a mod for this for KSP1.  If it's not a feature in vanilla KSP 2, I'm sure someone will make a KSP 2 version of that mod.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, Majorjim! said:

official? Link?

If this releases with no clouds...

You are sooooooo right man!!!!

On 8/20/2019 at 2:24 PM, MechBFP said:

It probably hasn’t been decided yet, which means a “no” isn’t a possible answer to give at this time. 

If KSP is gonna be COD with the, no microtransactions at the start, to yes microtransactions I will be fine with that. Note, DLC only, nothing like the care package type system of COD. I will stop playing the game altogether if they add CP-like microtransactions. Hey, @UomoCapra, does Star Theory have an account yet? We also need to set up a suggestions section to have them get Ideas as to what the communities (PC, AND console) wants to see in KSP 2 and if they have DLC's than what we want in that as well.

29 minutes ago, ndiver said:

Hello, is it true that HarvesteR was not informed for the development of KSP2 before the release of the announcement?

He said so here

https://amp.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/csl2vp/x_kerbal_space_program_2_developer_story_trailer/exhm3bo/?context=3

Assuming I got the right link on my phone interface to Reddit which is not sure by any means.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

He said so here

https://amp.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/csl2vp/x_kerbal_space_program_2_developer_story_trailer/exhm3bo/?context=3

Assuming I got the right link on my phone interface to Reddit which is not sure by any means.

That's where I saw it too, but was hugely surprised. When I saw the Developer Story Trailer, I asked myself why wasn't HarvesteR in it.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

He said so here

I knew it the day that T2 bought KSP. Its a really strong IP. Why would someone not make a sequel??? 

I've read through the entire 39 pages of it so far, and I have stuff to say, mainly stuff everyone keeps arguing about.

Spoiler

On the timetable: I see another friction point, which could lead to us creating our own dissappointment in the future. The game will release in a year. We are used to having input into the process, used to developers listening to us and developing better and better systems over the timespan of years. We expect a result of a second iteration of that process, from a process that has one year to complete, and until so far has had no player input ever. Putting your hopes and dreams aside for a second, what do you see reality being like. I for one hope they keep developing KSP 2 after initial release with a critical eye to what they develop initially, to simulate the process of Kerbal 1. It may be useful for us the community to encourage them doing this. I'd also endorse the interpretation of "spring 2020" to be made from a southern-hemisphere perspective.

on microtransactions; my god you are arguing about this like kids who either can't properly find sources, or who can't interpret them correctly if it means having to understand some-one elses point. </frustration> The best arguments I've heard here are the once that say that KSP is marginal stuff compared to T2's other games, and that there are lots of other benefits (training jobs, franchise building, reputation) to having KSP as a good-faith addition to your portfolio, and the comment that any microtransactions that are left (skins, planets, cosmetics, parts) can be modded in for free by the community. They might not earn a signle dollar with them if there are free alternatives out there. (well, not a signle dollar exactly, you get my intent for it to mean: "not much") We might punsih the publisher by not buying the game or the transactions, but we might also punish them by modding alike content for free. I'm not particularly worried because of these comments and these reasons.

I do not think DLC's can be seen as microtransactions. A DLC of say 20 bucks is bought once (that isn't typically the case for microtransactions), and is priced comparable to many other items you buy in daily life, most notable of whom is KSP2 itself, which is only three times that price. Microtransactions on the other hand, are suppoosed to seem like recurring small payments that you can affort to lose to get that little advantage, and then it adds up to large sums of money over time.

I am still hyped about this though.

or rather I was, the thread suddenly got grown up in the last two pages. Glad. You don't have to read all of this above. Then I still have my opinion on n-body physics.

On wanting N-body physics: or anything more than 2-body physics really.  This limitation with the old game is not a problem of design, of implementation or of anything game-related. It is a problem of mathematics. If you want to riff your physics off of the real world, you will have to content with the fact that F=ma is a second order differential equation of the position that the game requires to keep track of. Simply stated: it contains the change of the change of the position over time. And those equations don't tend to be easily solvable, and they also don't tend to have simple solutions, such as "your orbit is an ellipse".

KSP 1 relied on that simplicty to use what is called "on-rails" mechanics. Once you were in space, you could know your orbit exactly far into the future. It was always an ellipse of some kind, and it was very easy on the administrative part for your computer. Simply stated: Your orbit never changed; it was fixed, and exactly known.

This is simply not possible with 3-body physics and beyond, because the mathematics becomes fundamentally chaotic. There is an astrophysical argument that these paths cannot be know analythically, because there is literally not enough information available to work with. Maybe for 3body physics, using hacks, ghost SOI's, approximations, assumptions etc, you can sort of make it work, but this is the work of a scientist or mathematician to figure that out. Beyond 3-body physics, you will have to content with approximated timestep simulations, which is much harder to implement than on-rails mechanics. Aerodynamics works this way I believe, and it puts strain on your pc and on the time-warps you are allowed to do. If you want anything other than 2-body physics, be prepared for all physics to be like the atmosphere.

Not that this is bad per se. It could allow for lagrange points, for relativistic effects near black holes and in between travels to the stars. it could, as expressed wonderfully by someone earlier in this thread, "kick it up a notch" when it comes up to our understanding of orbital mechanics. But it will strain anyones computer, and it has an opportunity cost in higher part counts. So, what do you want?

Edited by nikokespprfan

Wow. Just a couple weeks ago, I was going to post my personal wish list for an imaginary KSP 2, but I never finished it.

So, here are some things I hope KSP 2 will achieve (with no particular order):

• Improved graphics including realistic clouds and other atmospheric effects
  • Scientific experiments that require some actual time to run
  • Rockets that are not built instantly and in general more role of time in the game (e.g. having to pay wages or contract rewards that decline over time)
  • Career mechanics that rewards interesting missions instead of grind
  • Axial tilt and seasons
  • At least 3-body physics with La Grange points (maybe)
  • Somewhat autonomous kerbals (e.g. you can instruct the engineer to do a task while you are busy commanding the pilot or vice versa)
  • More reasons to have multiple kerbals on the ship (I almost never use pilots, because adding a probe core is cheaper)
  • Actual resource processing in the background
  • Reasons to explore other celestial bodies by foot or with rovers; i.e. revised biome systems
  • Life support systems
  • Signal delay for probe cores (makes even more sense in an interstellar setting)
  • Explosions that can damage/destroy nearby objects, so that you actually need a launch escape system
  • Kerbals that have more individual, unique characteristics
  • Capability for mods to change certain game systems and interfaces rather than just stay on top of them