Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

when you create an account because of a trailer: "Oh boi here goes nothing."

also got two question: will ther be an ingame mod browser ala Factorio?

how many should we expect to be able to maintain in one sitting?

Edited by The88mm

Looks cool, but the 2 biggest things for me (which will determine whether i actually get the sequel) is performance improvements and grafix, both of which are huge pitfalls of the current game. 

I know modeling physics interactions on a per part basis is taxing, but im pretty sure it can be optimized somewhat especially for vessels that arent actually colliding with anything (id treat a solid ship as a single body until it actually gets hit by something in which case id model every part individually as now.  Itd solve the day-day lag, but still allow some truly impressive explosions, collisions, lithobraking, and stock missile combat (aslong as the phys interactions were only engaged during and a bit after a impact between a vessel and something else i dont see how it would be too laggy).

As for grafix, well its not that stock KSP+scatterer+scifive+KS3P is all that bad looking, but its performance is fairly weak most likely due to reliance on CPU/DX9 (KSP of all the games i play barely even touches the GPU on my rig).  If we could get dedicated DX11 support, more land details (more polygons on terrain, and generally more features like rolling hills, small valleys, bogs, ect, stuff you would expect to see IRL), that and properly textured landscape (like what teh 1.8 is attempting to do), with uniform fitting ship parts that dont look like a jumble of 10 different artists all doing whatever they feel looks good to them, the game would be a major step up from today.

Finally, im very happy to hear that KSP1 wont be completely abandoned post KSP2, which is good for those who like the old game (and given the sheer number of ships ive made for KSP1, i doubt ill completely abandon the game myself even if somehow KSP2 is 100% superior in every way (which is doubtful given the high bar KSP1 has set).

23 hours ago, garwel said:

Career mechanics that rewards interesting missions instead of grind

I personally hope rather than issuing missions, aka, telling you what to do, the game gives you enough information to work out opportunities for yourself, and rewards you for acting.

It seems a pity Harvester wasn't  a consultant on this. Then again, he helped shaped the first game, and perhaps new minds taking a fresh look at it, having already seen how the game goes, and the fan discussion about it. 

My current concern I want relaved is what they plan to do for the space center, and Minmus. 

I want to see the same old islands, mountains, and a similar campus of buildings somewhere as part of it, so there's continuity with the existing setting, and less confusion when you seek to represent it in fanworks.

I do want to see it expanded, and maybe even rebuilt to an extent, but I would like to be able to see it as the same place, you know?

Edited by Tw1

14 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Oh, wow, found this in the comments onn the PC Gamer article about the announcement:

Now, where have I heard that name before?

This is probably my only gripe with KSP 2 so far. It just seems not right that HarvesteR wasn't even informed that it was being made, despite being the one who came up with KSP in the first place.

I get that he's not on the team anymore, but it just seems like common decency.

It also confirms that Harv doesn't even have a partial ownership of Kerbals, otherwise he would have been informed.  It's sad he seems to have lost all rights to his creation.  Though, that was probably a misstep early in the process, far before he knew what KSP and Kerbals would become.

5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I want to see the same old islands, mountains, and a similar campus of buildings somewhere as part of it, so there's continuity with the existing setting, and less confusion when you seek to represent it in fanworks.

I was worried too but then I see this:

"You start at our new Kerbal Space Center, which is actually at the same location on Kerbin as it was in the original game," explains Simpson. "And then all the planets in the Kerbolar system continue to be present in enhanced forms. And then, as you continue to progress up the tech tree and get access to interstellar technologies, the scope of the game just gets larger, and you begin crossing the gulfs of interstellar space."

Reference: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/kerbal-space-program-2-interview/

3 minutes ago, airtrafficcontroller said:

I was worried too but then I see this:

Sure, but all that does is confirm that it's in the same place. We've only seen glimpses that show an expanded complex, and that they've added some waterways, but as for the rest, we still don't know for sure if they're going to muck it up.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

It also confirms that Harv doesn't even have a partial ownership of Kerbals, otherwise he would have been informed.  It's sad he seems to have lost all rights to his creation.  Though, that was probably a misstep early in the process, far before he knew what KSP and Kerbals would become.

This too is kinda sad. It's probably all private stuff we won't get to know, but it would be nice if he had some part in the deal.

Edited by Tw1

7 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

Sure, but all that does is confirm that it's in the same place. We've only seen glimpses that show an expanded complex, and that they've added some waterways, but as for the rest, we still don't know for sure if they're going to muck it up.

What I hope is that you start with the KSC, but when you upgrade buildings you can also build new ones, like the double runways shown.

2 hours ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Is KSP2 going to have logistics? Like hungry Kerbal, food, water and oxygen supply, to add cargo weight to all crewed missions.

Hungry Kerbal could be a gaming setting, on, off. 

Could be cool. I would also suggest that it be optional if it is ever implemented. Also if you are taking a count, releasing a Linux version would be amazing.

(KSP-1 is in the top 5 selling games for Linux(On Steam), as of the time of this post. I have little doubt that KSP-2 would be in a similar position.)

Some form of logistics would be fun, but it would have to be quite simplified, I think. Or just something you can toggle on/off. I love the idea of life support requirements, but having a mission fail when you're 90% of the way to Duna because you miscalculated how much food and air you need really sucks, and not in a fun way like crashing into Ike would.

Or better yet, a sliding scale. I know there are people out there who want to make the game as granular and challenging as possible, so I think they should have an option for that. Either no worrying about life support at all, ar all the way up at the other end of the scale, you have to worry about *everything*. 

I think that would be sweet. Doubt we'd see something that complicated in the base game, but we can dream.

15 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

This is probably my only gripe with KSP 2 so far. It just seems not right that HarvesteR wasn't even informed that it was being made, despite being the one who came up with KSP in the first place.

I get that he's not on the team anymore, but it just seems like common decency.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been nice to speak about it to HarveteR however, he no longer works for them so it's a catch 22.

His idea yes, but you working for a company and come up with an idea that makes the company huge money.. you never signed anything to say it's yours, copyright or anything. It's an idea that does well and I'm sure during his time of employment he was reward handsomely (assuming). The idea now belongs with the company, for what ever reason he moves on. Should they still run everything through him when he no longer works there?

It's  a catch 22 really.