Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

Oh my god, I only found out about this now, I hope the continuation will be able to return to me those very first impressions of the game, the first flight into the stratosphere, into orbit, the first docking in orbit, the first landing on the moon, etc., look forward to continuation of the best game in the world!  :retrograde:

1 hour ago, Raven Industries said:

Love the game footage, but I must say, those constant wide smiles seem a lot creepier with the changed art style, and it's weird to see the Kerbals with individual fingers rather than the mittens we're used to seeing them wear. The latter is something I can get used to, but those smiles

Hey - perhaps the Kerbals are just enjoying being part of the new code :).  Hopefully there will be a more neutral set of expressions for the times when they are not quite to excited.  Plus they now have eyelids.  They gotta be pleased about that. :cool:;)

2 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

Dose this mean no carrer mode?

52 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'm not seeing how career mode is related to that FAQ.

It says no purchasable ingame currency. That means there will probably still be a currency of some kind (maybe Funds) but you won’t get it through microtransactions, instead earning it in game through contracts or something similar.

This is mostly speculation, but that’s what I get from the rather vague statement in the FAQ.

It sounded extremely awesome-o... until I read that they use Unity for the new game as well. Part limits for KSP1 is a major letdown for experienced players. I am fairly sure, they won't be able to make a real difference in KSP2 using same engine =(

Edited by qwertyza

9 hours ago, popos1 said:

HI, there will be a Ray Tracking option like on the Trailer?

Hope so.. Seems to be the flavour of the month for games to add it.

13 hours ago, Wolframmington said:

I wonder

Is this going to be open alpha?:P

Hope so also, although I suspect Beta is where we may see something rather than an Alpha... 

6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It says no purchasable ingame currency. That means there will probably still be a currency of some kind (maybe Funds) but you won’t get it through microtransactions, instead earning it in game through contracts or something similar.

This is mostly speculation, but that’s what I get from the rather vague statement in the FAQ.

Will the "persistent" file still be editable? I know it's "cheating" but...when push comes to shove...

Oh my, oh my, oh my!!

I *really* hope this is going to support external control (or at least external display) from an android tablet!! I really, really want to control my staging and my views from a remote touch screen tablet, just because.

Multi-monitor support is a must!

And of course it must be multi-threaded.

Super pumped for this new version!

4 hours ago, qwertyza said:

It sounded extremely awesome-o... until I read that they use Unity for the new game as well. Part limits for KSP1 is a major letdown for experienced players. I am fairly sure, they won't be able to make a real difference in KSP2 using same engine =(

KSP is built on Unity but the engine isn’t the main problem - it’s how the game was built. Now there’s a lot of “inertia” if you will in KSP’s code base - lots of old code that would be tough to change. But rebuilding the game from the ground up, even with Unity, can result in a game that performs much better.

Essentially the problem isn’t Unity, but KSP’s software design. KSP is great, but a rebuilt game can be much better in many respects.

Watching a Scott Manley video on the introduction of KSP 1.7, I suddenly remembered my biggest part request: stock 45-degree RCS quads, like the ones on the Apollo Lunar lander, suitable for placing at the 45-degree positions on the spacecraft.  Sure, there's like 3 mods with them in, but it's always better to have stock parts.

27 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Watching a Scott Manley video on the introduction of KSP 1.7, I suddenly remembered my biggest part request: stock 45-degree RCS quads, like the ones on the Apollo Lunar lander, suitable for placing at the 45-degree positions on the spacecraft.  Sure, there's like 3 mods with them in, but it's always better to have stock parts.

Are there any actual benefits to 45 degree thrusters? As far as I can tell they all just cancel each other out horizontally, leaving the thrusters only 50% efficient for the vertical thrust.

38 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Are there any actual benefits to 45 degree thrusters? As far as I can tell they all just cancel each other out horizontally, leaving the thrusters only 50% efficient for the vertical thrust.

They are for mounting in sets of 4 on the 45-degree points on the spacecraft.  The two horizontal jets are set at a 90-degree angle instead of opposed, like on the current RCS quad.

Here's a good picture of them from this part mod.

SfutBmH.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jacke said:

They are for mounting in sets of 4 on the 45-degree points on the spacecraft.  The two horizontal jets are set at a 90-degree angle instead of opposed, like on the current RCS quad.

Here's a good picture of them from this part mod.

SfutBmH.jpg

Ahhh I see. That makes sense now. 

Dear developers,

will there be something like staging cameras or even cameras that have to be placed in the VAB to see their view in KSP 2? And will there be bigger SRBs and something like a realism overhaul super hardcore mode, and can engines fail with a probability, like in real life. This would be cool, because then, working launch escape systems make sense.

Thanks for your answer,

Lucpoldis

2 hours ago, RockyTV said:

Probably asked already by someone else, but are mods going to be exclusive to Steam Workshop, or will KSP2 be like KSP1 and we'll be able to host our mods on SpaceDock, CurseForge or GitHub?

No word on that as far as I know, but they have stated that they plan to open up more of the game's code to modders, or words to that effect. I don't do modding or coding, so I don't know what that means exactly, but it sounds as if the game will be even more mod-friendly than KSP1.

By the looks of this, they've used a lot of mods for inspiration.
The engine on that rocket above the station looks a lot like the KSPI Bussard Fusion Engine.
And people are saying that modded parts and locations seemed to be featured too. Maybe, we won't need a dedicated tool like Kopernicus to throw in new planets

And, what if there are more solar systems out there? With another planet with life one it? THat'd be pretty awesome.
And Multiplayer support too! Official multiplayer, not the slightly awkward to use DarkMultiPlayer stuff

I look forward to this so much.

I wonder if I could get this for free if I made a huge rocket (talking like 2 megatons) and got it to Eeloo..?