Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

Will we finally get the ability to adjust the fuel from empty to full on all parts while in the hanger bay. We don't even have that in KSP1for large craft. Will there even be a hanger bay?!

What about advanced support for testing aeroframes? A wind tunnel? How about parts consolidation and adjusting physics realistically like the welder concept?

And of course linux support.

Edited by Arugela

Well, I have not been here for a while.

I have so many hopes and questions, but I will limit myself to two.

1. Q: Does KSP2 use the core KSP1 code in any way, or is it a rewrite from scratch? More specifically, is it coded using Unity's new Entity Component System and Job System? I realise that this is not something which comes naturally to physics simulation due to the physics-interdependent nature of the parts on a craft.
  2. Do colonies "do stuff when you're not there"? For example, does a colony produce and / or consume resources over time? Can I, for example, set up a mining colony on the Mun gathering Helium-3, which keeps producing as long as the snack supply is maintained with regular missions from Kerbin? And could I eventually set up snack farming at that colony in order to make it a self-sufficient producer? And if so, is there any kind of balancing mechanic which would prevent me from creating a self-sufficient-resource-production colony, turning on max time warp for a few seconds, and having effectively infinite Helium-3 as a result?

47 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think it’s probably going to be a updated/remastered version of KSP1’s theme. It’s just too iconic to completely throw away, IMO.

I'd love to see this, but that's only possible if Star Theory has rights to it. The original theme was written by HarvesteR I believe. IDK if its included in the IP purchased by Take Two.

8 hours ago, allmhuran said:
  1. Do colonies "do stuff when you're not there"? For example, does a colony produce and / or consume resources over time? Can I, for example, set up a mining colony on the Mun gathering Helium-3, which keeps producing as long as the snack supply is maintained with regular missions from Kerbin? And could I eventually set up snack farming at that colony in order to make it a self-sufficient producer? And if so, is there any kind of balancing mechanic which would prevent me from creating a self-sufficient-resource-production colony, turning on max time warp for a few seconds, and having effectively infinite Helium-3 as a result?

I certainly hope so. This all sounds amazing.

More info from a community meet-and-greet/Q&A session Star.Theory held at PAX:

https://twitter.com/badnewsbaron/status/1166829617514041344?s=19 (clickthrough for thread)

Related Reddit post:  https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/cwrj0e/a_friend_of_mine_got_out_of_a_meeting_with_star/

My summary:

• Better performance
  • reaffirmed no microtransactions--sticking to KSP 1 release style
  • Trailer made with in-game assets
  • Kerbin is geographically the same (albeit prettier).  Other planets got facelifts.  Same planets in the system.  Engine now supports axial tilt.
  • "No two landing sites should feel the same".  Also better lighting and shadows (even from moonlight).
  • New systems:  multiple, exact number not specified.
  • Better craft building--improved subassembly system, blueprint mode for easier placing and alignment, larger VAB.
  • Physics/orbital mechanics/etc. not dumbed down, it's still KSP.  Better tutorials tho, at least some fully animated.
  • Build colonies anywhere.  Expansion directly player-driven only.  Meant to be springboards for exploration deeper into space.
  • PC optimization comes first, but S.T are well aware of the problems KSP1 has had on consoles and fully intend to do right by the console community.
  • Much higher part counts, but no specific numbers yet.
  • Kerbals subject to G-forces.  Affect animations; they can even black out.  Also more animated in general.  Also have emotes.
  • Planetary rings include large rocks
  • Explosions different for different situations (atmo/vac, fuel/empty, etc.).  "Every explosion should be a special snowflake."

28 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Large rocke in the planets rings? Means that you have to pay attention when crossing the ring plane or your craft will be destroyed?

Probably not. The density of rocks in rings is so low that you would be lucky to actually hit anything. 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:12 AM, Arugela said:

Will we finally get the ability to adjust the fuel from empty to full on all parts while in the hanger bay. We don't even have that in KSP1for large craft. Will there even be a hanger bay?!

What stock part are you thinking of where you cannot adjust the fuel?

When performing test contracts I will regularly dump the fuel from solid boosters for example, and fuel tanks can also have contents adjusted.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, allmhuran said:

Well, I have not been here for a while.

I have so many hopes and questions, but I will limit myself to two.

1. Q: Does KSP2 use the core KSP1 code in any way, or is it a rewrite from scratch? More specifically, is it coded using Unity's new Entity Component System and Job System? I realise that this is not something which comes naturally to physics simulation due to the physics-interdependent nature of the parts on a craft.
  2. Do colonies "do stuff when you're not there"? For example, does a colony produce and / or consume resources over time? Can I, for example, set up a mining colony on the Mun gathering Helium-3, which keeps producing as long as the snack supply is maintained with regular missions from Kerbin? And could I eventually set up snack farming at that colony in order to make it a self-sufficient producer? And if so, is there any kind of balancing mechanic which would prevent me from creating a self-sufficient-resource-production colony, turning on max time warp for a few seconds, and having effectively infinite Helium-3 as a result?

1) it has been said it is a rewrite from scratch.

2) nothing has been said in this as far as I am aware.

Looking forward to giving KSP2 a spin!

I hope they have looked at RoverDude's MKS mod suite when considering life support and colonization, as he has some good stuff in there that gives a challenge without needing so much micromanagement.(and has lots of options so you can customize your challenge to suit your preferred play approach)

Hey, is this thread still active? 

What will Mining look like in KSP2? With the increased focus on colonisation I hope things will be a little more complicated than "Ore does everything", you know, give you a real reason to carefully survey and pick your colony sites, and even a reason to have multiple facilities built across a planet. 

Like, imagine having a shipyard somewhere on Duna's equator in a metal rich caldera, but having to build your fuel refinery up at the northern polar ice cap, and having to rendezvous fuel shipments with your newly launched starships down in their equatorial orbits. So obviously want to design a fuel SSTO that can make that trip with as much wet mass as possible, in Duna's oxygen-less atmosphere. Or just a SSTO, but have a small tug with a space-efficient engine in polar orbit to dock the fuel shipment to and make the rendezvous, conserving more of the fuel you mined. And because you don't want to wait for the tug to return to drop the SSTO back down to the refinery, you could make two fuel tank modules, one for each ship, and swap the full one onto the tug when they meet in polar orbit... 

Now that's the kind of cool emergent gameplay complicated mining could bring. So yeah. fingers crossed. 

The group that went to visit Star.Theory all went to dinner later and discussed their visit; Scott Manley streamed it.  Here's the VOD:

[edit: replaced Twitch VOD with youtube upload]

[EDIT]

One thing I picked out from this video:  when asked about the binary planets and how that will work in-game, the devs' response was that they have a solution, but they did not specify what that solution was aside from the fact that it is not n-body gravitation.

Edited by SilverlightPony

17 minutes ago, Kuszotke said:

I just thought about something. Competition with another agency in career mode would be something fun. A space race to spice things up.

Multiplayer could have that!

Maybe you don't get to see the spacecraft of other people, only their progress. It'd make for a nice race to see who is the first to get to the Mun, etc.

17 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

The group that went to visit Star.Theory all went to dinner later and discussed their visit; Scott Manley streamed it.  Here's the VOD:

~ minute 30-34

"Single player KSP2 is confirmed to be DRM free"  no online connection required 

('multi-player may involve some sort of lobby')  KSC has 4 launch pads that can be used at the same time in multiplayer

other tidbits:

'Cesium doped metallic hydrogen engine' is apparently an 'advanced' metallic hydrogen engine that can use a magnetic nozzle

Clouds and weather systems: Game is in development, ask again later

VAB is 'twice the size' and prettier, you can assemble multiple distinct components at the same time(like assembling stage 1 and stage 2 then connecting them)

'There will be more reasons to run science'

KSP2 has been in development for more than a year as one developer mentioned being 'new' as they had 'only been there for a year'

'Using the latest version of Unity'

'you can collide with ground scatter'

'some classical parts and some new parts'

'All the same engines are still there'  (re-imported and higher res)

'They don't want it to be sim-city in space' the game is about flying rockets

Hi there :) You might want to check this article, with the Translate Button ! We sent 2 polls to the French community to know what feature they want / hope the most in KSP2, and here are the results !

Tadaaaaaam ! https://kerbalspacechallenge.fr/2019/08/30/ksp2-resultats-de-vos-votes-les-features-les-plus-attendues-de-la-communaute-ksc/

On 8/29/2019 at 4:23 PM, SilverlightPony said:

[EDIT]

One thing I picked out from this video:  when asked about the binary planets and how that will work in-game, the devs' response was that they have a solution, but they did not specify what that solution was aside from the fact that it is not n-body gravitation.

Anybody knows who is this with the Duna's T Shirt?

Will there be any plans for Linux Support in the future?

Unity is a good engine for shipping to multiple platforms so I wonder why it was not a priority to maintain the ability to support as many users as possible?

I really hope this is something the team is considering as it is really important to me. 

Sincerely,

A Linux gamer.