Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

5 hours ago, Kuszotke said:

Still. The price is ridiculous. $60 isn't right.

That's relative. I would easily pay triple that if they asked. I paid $40 for KSP 1 and have easily dumped 4,000+ hours into it. You do the math and tell me I didn't get my money's worth...

I'd say $60 is a steal. I understand that not everybody has $60 laying around to buy KSP 2, but that doesn't make it "not right", or not worth the money. If you want to pay less, just wait for a sale. 

Man, If only I could get that same return on investment for virtually anything else I have purchased in my life!

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, KSK said:

How about waiting until the finished game - or release ready game at any rate - is in front of us, before jumping to opinions on price?

Why would I want to do that?  As I said, I've never paid £60 for a game and I have no intention of paying £60 for a game.  KSP 2 may be worth that to some people, it isn't to me.

The four single-player games I've spent over 1,000 hours on are:
KSP 4,000+ hrs, £15
Rimworld 1,200 hrs, £19
Mount & Blade: Warband 1,020 hrs, £15
Rome: Total War 1,009 hrs, £25

Oblivion was possibly the most expensive game I have ever bought - about £28 IIRC, on DVD, with feelies.

Good luck to those price-gouging.  Good luck, even, to @MechBFP who wants to be gouged and seems to be 'informed' about something those of us who have been playing KSP since early alpha are not.

@coyotesfrontier; note that I did not say "KSP is bad because Unity", "KSP is bad" or "KSP 2 will be bad".  I just think that there will be nothing revolutionary in the new version that would justify AAA headline franchise pricing.  Mostly because, as above, I don't think that pricing is ever justifiable anyway.

@Galileo would you really pay USD $180 for a game though, however good?  Assuming you have KSP 1 do you really think 2 will be $180 better?  Three times as good as any other game you could buy even?  How many people in the world do you think USD $180 could feed, that you'd "easily pay" for a game?

KSP 1 will comfortably last me until I can get 2 for a sensible price.

Edited by Pecan

38 minutes ago, Pecan said:

@Galileo would you really pay USD $180 for a game though, however good?  Assuming you have KSP 1 do you really think 2 will be $180 better? 

Yes and yes, especially with that kind of return on investment. 

Assuming you have KSP 1 do you really think 2 will be $180 better? 

Yes, and even better with time, much like KSP 1.

How many people in the world do you think USD $180 could feed, that you'd "easily pay" for a game

Irrelevant. I spend my money they way I want, and you do the same. Don't try to guilt trip me because you may be frugal, and perhaps donate more than I do. That's none of my business. 

Edited by Galileo

29 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Why would I want to do that?  As I said, I've never paid £60 for a game and I have no intention of paying £60 for a game.  KSP 2 may be worth that to some people, it isn't to me.

The four single-player games I've spent over 1,000 hours on are:
KSP 4,000+ hrs, £15
Rimworld 1,200 hrs, £19
Mount & Blade: Warband 1,020 hrs, £15
Rome: Total War 1,009 hrs, £25

Oblivion was possibly the most expensive game I have ever bought - about £28 IIRC, on DVD, with feelies.

Good luck to those price-gouging.  Good luck, even, to @MechBFP who wants to be gouged and seems to be 'informed' about something those of us who have been playing KSP since early alpha are not.

@coyotesfrontier; note that I did not say "KSP is bad because Unity", "KSP is bad" or "KSP 2 will be bad".  I just think that there will be nothing revolutionary in the new version that would justify AAA headline franchise pricing.  Mostly because, as above, I don't think that pricing is ever justifiable anyway.

@Galileo would you really pay USD $180 for a game though, however good?  Assuming you have KSP 1 do you really think 2 will be $180 better?  Three times as good as any other game you could buy even?  How many people in the world do you think USD $180 could feed, that you'd "easily pay" for a game?

KSP 1 will comfortably last me until I can get 2 for a sensible price.

Gee, feeling judgy much? :) 

I'm guessing you have no interest or understanding about the economics of running a business. Good for you - once you realize the world is a complicated place, you might have to set aside some preconceived notions and actually think about the realities of the world. That might make you uncomfortable, I get that. You might have to stop and consider that $60 has been the de facto "standard price" for console games since the PS3 and XBox 360 launched circa 2010 2005. PC games have kept pace with that easily. 

Fortunately for the prospects of KSP2's success, those of us with real jobs and some adult perspective can easily afford a $60 game once in awhile if we believe it to be worth it. 

Now it's up to the dev team to make that happen.

Edited by LameLefty

2 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

Xbox 360 launched in '05, and I think $60 was the typical price for a "AAA" game even before that.

Oops, you're correct. I have no idea why I had '10 stuck in my head when I typed that. I'll edit my post while I still can. 

10 hours ago, Pecan said:

Controverially, I think I've decided not to buy KSP 2 for a while.

I don't find that controversial at all. 60 units is a sizeable amount in many currencies. It gives me pause in my own units of US dollars. There are plenty of games out there whose predecessors I've LOVED that I haven't bought yet because I didn't want to pay for them.

10 hours ago, Pecan said:

Call me back when it's on sale for £30.

So the next Steam Summer Sale, then :D

Those AAA games typically cost $80 CAD, which is roughly in line with the exchange rate. Yeah, it’s a big chunk, and I’ve played KSP long enough to wonder if I can get the same number of hours out of KSP2, simply due to game burnout. I’ve already taken some breaks from the game (but not the forum), usually while waiting for a big update. Nonetheless, it’ll be on my wish list, and I’ll happily pay full price when I have the :funds:to spare. Of course, even better if a sale comes along before I shell out full price 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Over 5000 hours of KSP but I will not be buying the sequel.

I play on linux.

It uses the same engine. Which means that all the problems that couldn't be fixed because of the engine in the first program will have the similar  unfixable issues in the second. "Not our fault.. it's Unity."

Every time unity was upgraded. something on KSP was broken.

The garbage collection was awful.

There have been atmospheres and such for years in mod form. You could have added them to the original game. It seems you didn't because you wanted to tease with them in the sequel.

And lastly, the sequel is being written by mod writers.

I tried many of the mods provided by many of the mod writers on the team and most of the mods were broken or faulty in such a way as to render them a pain in the backside to use. I'm supposed to have faith that the game will work right out of the box?
Got none.

I supported Squad in Early access. Alas a couple of weeks too late to be appreciated for my support.

While I won't wear a sandwich-board outside the station, warning others away, I won't be boarding the train either.

D.

6 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

I'd be curious to know which mods they wrote. Or their user names on the various mod sites. Where you got this info would be a boon because it seems pretty big and this is the first I've heard of it.

16 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd be curious to know which mods they wrote. Or their user names on the various mod sites. Where you got this info would be a boon because it seems pretty big and this is the first I've heard of it.

Yeah, I'unno where that idea came from either.  They're fans—extremely dedicated fans—not modders.

3 hours ago, Daveroski said:

You couldn't be more wrong. Star theory is an actual game developer with many staff that happen to be big fans of the original KSP. 

Let's not make things up to justify your decision to not buy game. 

Edited by Galileo

On 9/9/2019 at 4:20 PM, Galileo said:

Irrelevant. I spend my money they way I want, and you do the same. Don't try to guilt trip me

Quite right and I apologise for the tone.

Everyone who can choose decides for themselves what is entertaining and what it is worth to them.  My original point was that USD $60 AAA pricing is not worth it to me because there are plenty of better games, in fact every game I've ever bought, that are half that price or less.  In the case of KSP 2 I don't believe it will be sufficiently different/improved from 1 to warrant the price (to me) so I will continue with 1 for the time being.  My "would you really" question to you was just amazement that anyone would think a sequel, even to awesome KSP, would be worth as much as any 3 top-priced alternatives, or 6 times as much as KSP 1/any other USD $30 game.  If you do, then I hope you enjoy it.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, LameLefty said:

Gee, feeling judgy much?

Yes I am.  I judge that USD $60 for a PC game is very, very overpriced and only goes to keep T2 executives earning millions, not developing good games.  I judge KSP 2 pricing to be a cynical under-valued cash-grab.  Note the list of the games I've played most - which I accept is entirely subjective - and their prices.  If you pay lots for console games then good luck; there's no reason I should do the same on PC.

[snip] I didn't say I couldn't afford it, I said I didn't believe it to be worth it.  Neither did I attempt to label people throwing USD $60 - $180 as irresponsible kids for doing so.  [snip]

Edited by Vanamonde
Personal comments removed.

2 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Oh wow, I didn't know the Star Theory guys worked on Monday Night Combat! That was one of my favourite games before the playerbase died : (

Must have been aimed at a much older audience then.

2 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Must have been aimed at a much older audience then.

It was a kinda play on words of 'Arena Shooter' where shooting at eachother is a pro sport and no one gets hurt because its far in the future and you can respawn. Hence the name- 'Monday Night Combat'- like monday night football. It was really great and I wish it was still up.

7 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

And I'll note you have *AGAIN* neglected to even recognize that $60 has been the de facto standard price for games for well over a decade no

Not to mention that when taking into account inflation, games are significantly cheaper now than they were 10 to 20 years ago when they were still $50 to $60 dollars in those years.

People don’t understand the time value of money. 

Edited by MechBFP

13 hours ago, Daveroski said:

It uses the same engine. Which means that all the problems that couldn't be fixed because of the engine in the first program will have the similar  unfixable issues in the second. "Not our fault.. it's Unity."

Every time unity was upgraded. something on KSP was broken.

I've heard a lot of whinging about Unity over the years.  Yet it still gets used on a lot of games.  Quite good and successful games.

All game engines need extensions for significantly complex games.  Some of those extensions are other choices like PhysX, some of them are custom project code.  As with all code, upgrading the versions of each component needs work on updating their coming together to make things gel properly again.  This is easier with the best of designs.

The case with KSP due to various historical reasons wasn't done to the highest standards but to what could be done.  Since then, the Unity has been changed a great deal and that is starting to show.  But KSP is still a damn good game.

And if another engine is picked, it requires similar work to make a great game.

I'm completely satisfied a good KSP 2 can be made with current Unity.  Especially by a competent development team.  Star Theory's team has already shown they're competent.

What KSP 2 will be like, well, we'll have to wait until it comes out.

But your prejudging KSP 2 just because of the choice to use Unity is uncalled for.  Why don't you just chill with all the petty negative waves, man.