Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

SoI sizes aren't arbitrary. They're where the gravity of one body starts to dominate that from the other. 

Even if they were, an SoI would have to be stupidly large to include points other than L1 and L2. 

My opinion on this is to do it correctly or not at all. I've had quite my fill of half-baked implementations in this game. There has long been a working n-body implementation for KSP in the Principia mod as well as n-body physics in other space games, so we don't need to pretend that it's some sort of intractable problem for a video game.

Stupidly large is a matter of opinion. I for one think they're stupidly small and should include the gravity of at least one other body to make it work. It's not hard, but then I'm not the one that has to code it and maintain it. (and neither is anyone other than the Dev team... which, while I can see wanting to ask for what you want, making it sound like they're just slacking is unfair and rude, IMHO... you aren't the one that has to make it work and KEEP it working for the foreseeable future, on top of a million other "requests" from the fanbase)

4 hours ago, RobertaME said:

Stupidly large is a matter of opinion. I for one think they're stupidly small and should include the gravity of at least one other body to make it work. 

To include L3, L4 and L5 would require an SoI much larger than the diameter of the child body's orbital diameter... that would require including the parent body in the SoI. At that point it stops being an SoI and starts being something else. 

So how do you determine the radii of these not-SoIs? What happens at the transition from one to another? Why are we reinventing the wheel when a wealth of existing knowledge about solving n-body problems already exists? What new problems are being created by using this half implemented model? 

It's not rude or unfair to point out that other games have solved this problem, or not to accept "math is hard" as an excuse for not implementing it. If it's a design decision to stick with Keplerian then that's the dev's prerogative (a decision I agreed with for KSP1), but to say "we want a more accurate model but can't be bothered to do n-body" is a cop out, IMO. 

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Isn't the main point of using the Lagrange points that they provide a more stable orbit than other possible orbits in that vicinity?

Personally I like having stable orbits pretty much wherever I put my craft. 

I would find it frustrating to try and match the orbit of a pod that is changing it's orbit by several m/s per orbit.

It would be even more frustrating if my stations and satellites started crashing to the ground or flying off to who knows where any time I tried to time-warp towards a good launch window or during a long duration flight.

This is not the Kerbal Satellite management program where station-keeping is an issue of major importance.

Anyone who wants to simulate station-keeping, is welcome to manually deorbit their satellites after sufficient time has passed to account for using up their station-keeping fuel, and anyone who wants N-body physics is welcome to download the mod.

Rocket science is already hard enough, there is no need to frustrate new players with an excess of complications.

(And experienced players who wish to try test themselves against those complications will have both the access and inclination to use mods already, so what is just one more mod? )

I haven't been such a avid KSP fan but that is primarily because I am on Xbox. I do hope that KSP 2 will have mod and multiplayer support on Xbox, normally people say that consoles cant handle mods but Skyrim and Fallout have mod support plus take in mind that the Xbox One X is a thing. Hopefully this game will encourage me to return to simulation games.

8 hours ago, Addmoreengines said:

I was wondering if you can add a system to increase the size off parts. Then I won’t have to download mods for that.

Well, KSP at its core is a puzzle based game (if you play career mode). You are given an objective to complete, and you have a set of parts to use to complete that objective. It's up to you how you use your pieces. If something like tweakscale is made stock, then it sort of dampens the 'puzzle theme' of KSP. Sure, I think devs can implement it in such a way that changing size beyond a certain limit would need you to research a new tech node, but thats just my opinion.

In my case, 60$ translates to 4200 INR. That's a 5th of my salary. I dont spend that much money on a game(I am bit of a miser :D), but this is KSP 2 we are talking about!! There's still time to save up the cash I need. Even then, I would be very cautious. Like someone said, "The higher your hopes will be, the harder they usually crash."

1 hour ago, burn boi said:

I just saw your reply and

I have to say I did not expect that!

In my bank I only have 60 quid!

R.I.P my money

Take my funds! *Shoves 60 dollars into steam account

On 10/5/2019 at 8:38 AM, Addmoreengines said:

I was wondering if you can add a system to increase the size off parts. Then I won’t have to download mods for that.

Stock game will have larger diameter parts. 

Going to guess they won't be silly enough to promise free expansions for life if you buy in at the start?

That would make sense from a monetary stand point, but darn, feeling like I've been a part of a family since the beginning is one of 
the reasons I keep returning to KSP after a few months break.    

You return, and poof, you've been grandfathered in for even more awesome stuff!

Edited by EmanonP

8 hours ago, EmanonP said:

Going to guess they won't be silly enough to promise free expansions for life if you buy in at the start?

My guess too.

But I do think they will include free 'updates' to the base game, just not DLC packs etc.

I am also pretty sure that, whatever they do on this, they will be very clear about what they mean from the outset.

9 hours ago, pandaman said:

But I do think they will include free 'updates' to the base game, just not DLC packs etc.

I expect a free DLC now and then, or perhaps discounts or raffles for long term users.  Other companies do it, why not them?

They are getting rid of the obligation to give for free the new DLCs, not the option to do so at their discretion.

15 minutes ago, Rodneyfar said:

I know this sounds a bit odd but I wish there will be weapons on kerbal  space program 2 since there will multiplayer it would be fun 

No, please no weapons in stock KSP ever.

This kind of reminds me of Runescape. The issues with the NEW Runescape 3 was so disliked by the older people that grew up with RS in the early 2000's (I cant believe I said that) they kept the old version and called it OSR or Old School Runescape (like KSP 1.7 is now). These two were completely different game systems as well. This was so successful, OSR  has more content and much more followers than ever before.

I know from me being very new to KSP 1, I see much more with I can do with mods, an awesome game, in a cool solar system with its enjoyment and possible things I may be able to contribute as well. I am actually thinking of getting back into programming also. I would love to make some cool space ships! 

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

This is a month old, and it's already been posted in the KSP 2 Discussion. 

I know it is a month old but I finally found time to post it... sorry...

I don't look at IGN so it wasn't until I looked at stuff to find it. Still couldn't find a website breakdown any way so I made one...