Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

sh1pman

2 hours ago, DylanPruden said:

In the video it said that 12 employees and the 3 directors moved to Intercept.

But who knows if they'll even be in charge of development anymore.

I doubt that the game is cancelled, but honestly who knows anymore.

All of this happened 6 months ago or so, the game slipping to fall 2021 and the radio silence around december are the consequences of this.

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Well, they won't get any funding from my end as long as TakeTwo is involved.

Take Two is the owner of KSP since 2017, they contracted Star.Theory to make the game.

This has made me incredibly skeptical about the development, integrity, and management of KSP 2 under Take 2 Interactive's direction. I will not be purchasing this title on release as planned, and I'd urge all those who love Kerbal for what it is to think very carefully about their own purchasing decisions.   

8 minutes ago, spacewalruss said:

This has made me incredibly skeptical about the development, integrity, and management of KSP 2 under Take 2 Interactive's direction. I will not be purchasing this title on release as planned, and I'd urge all those who love Kerbal for what it is to think very carefully about their own purchasing decisions.   

I'm just going to wait until other people make videos on it and then judge if I want to buy it or not.

Edited by DylanPruden

52 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

But they better have flashy edits. And suggestive but non-informative titles.

"NASA REVEALS: EIGHT REASONS JEFF BEZOS DOESN'T WANT YOU TO BUY KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM 2!"
"Number five will BLOW YOUR MIND!!"

Looking at Take-Two's history with monetization does not make me optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's why negotiations fell out. Putting a multi-billion dollar publicly traded corporation run by businessmen who've rarely played any video-games more directly in charge of an indie project has gone sour much more than it's gone well.

I hope it all works out and we get a damn good game, but my optimism has gone down a few notches.

6 hours ago, Kerbart said:

"NASA REVEALS: EIGHT REASONS JEFF BEZOS DOESN'T WANT YOU TO BUY KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM 2!"
"Number five will BLOW YOUR MIND!!"

Except you are taking some liberties. In reality it would be in all caps.

On 5/10/2020 at 3:41 PM, Lo var Lachland said:

Pushed launch dates should mean the devs are working on better compatibility/bugginess, but we'll see. 

Or they are squabbling over who works under which name and why.

2020 is the year of BS isn’t it?

Edited by Fraston

Take2 sucks, and I just wonder who in his right mind sold the KSP IP to Take2? You had one job... sell everything but keep the IP. Bungee did a good job... people should spend more time thinking about what could happen, not blindly accept contract.
In current light, even EGS exclusive would have been better than this...

Edited by Eneco

Me expect now the worst possible.

Not the best conditions/motivation for a product to rip apart a team
in last phase of design/coding/testing/releasing...

Either it will move to an aggressive monetarizing model
or grade down to a "mobile p2w game" or Take 2 will finally
let it run out/cancel the Project. ?-|

I think, KSP was never a "big cash cow", that shareholder value oriented trusts/corprations
need in their portfolio.
KSP always was kept alive from heartblood, excitement, perfect community and georgious modders.
And space flight/travel enthusiasts.

What makes this story so depressing is, KSP is the one and only Game/Simulation/Sanbox which
cover the part of flight, space travel, exploration, from simple plug parts together to think about
contruct rockets and ships, tinker for hours to make it perfect function.

There is no other comparable game like KSP, its so unique. its a milestone.

Not to forget the terrific creativity, making movies, write stories, building walking mechs,
marathon streaming nights on twitch, competitions, fun on crazy destruction or build kinky rockets.

It will be a big loss, a sacrifice, if KSP will move away from its inimitable state, if anything around
wil blown away in all directions, gone in time and space.

Lets wait and see what will happen.

I'm rather optimistic about KSP.

Either ST (or anybody else) makes KSP2, or Squad continues making KSP1, or I have the last release as stable and to be never changed in future.

Both three finals are acceptable.

18 hours ago, DylanPruden said:

I honestly think that take two could care less about ksp 2 itself.

I think they just want to profit off of the game's success, and adding all of this garbage to ksp 2 wont get them that money.

true. I hate this. I hate this I hate this I hate this. The problem is, it will probably be great. Luckily there is a petition!

On 6/4/2020 at 3:05 PM, DylanPruden said:

I think they just want to profit off of the game's success, and adding all of this garbage to ksp 2 wont get them that money.

This really angers me. KSP was originally a passion project, and AAA madmen getting their unwashed-of-the-metal-smell-of-change corporate hands feels viscerally wrong. 

On 6/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, JackONeil81 said:

I have the feeling KSP 2 will be an EpicStore-Exclusive and dropped support for MacOS an Linux.

*grits teeth, shakes fist in the air and stifles an incredibly loud, profane rant that would scorch the very silica in the surrounding earth into glass*

On 6/4/2020 at 12:14 PM, Jansn67 said:

Not to forget the terrific creativity, making movies, write stories, building walking mechs,
marathon streaming nights on twitch, competitions, fun on crazy destruction or build kinky rockets.

It will be a big loss, a sacrifice, if KSP will move away from its inimitable state, if anything around

This community is a wonderful thing to be involved in, and I’ve known about this wonderful game for 3.5 years. My nostalgia of old SWDennis, Danny2462, Matt Lowne, Nexter’s Lab and Scott Manley YouTube uploads is nigh on par with my nostalgia of pre-1.4 Minecraft and old app games like Fruit Ninja and Candy Crush, despite those memories being almost twice as old. I will support this game whatever direction it goes so long as it preserves the original pillars and is recognizable to the 1.3x I spent the weeks after my birthday playing all those 2 and 3/4s years ago. I had strong hopes for KSP2 to be the splendid KSP sequel, to compound my love of this awesome game, to be the definitive game to complete my collection of “mind and eye candy, plus a full salad for the mind as well games” like Factorio, modded Minecraft and Besiege. But now my hopes are being held within a vise grip that threatens to shatter them by the threat of a corporate entity tainting this dream game.

Take Two management,

If you are reading this and haven’t got your precious corporate feelings hurt by the previous posts, I have one demand for you. One. That is to not screw this amazing game up. You will disappoint an enormous amount of people and this wonderful community will die an agonizing death. 

With trepidation and anxiety,

@Fraston

On 4/26/2020 at 11:18 AM, RealKerbal3x said:
On 4/26/2020 at 12:29 AM, AlamoVampire said:

@Superfluous J i think it would be a hoot if they turned ksp into ksp2 with an update. Wont happen but itd be a hoot

The point of KSP2 is to fix many of the underlying problems with KSP, which mostly lie in its years of new features tacked onto old code. I'd guess that the codebase of KSP2 is going to be so different to the original game that what you suggest wouldn't be an update, it would just be an entirely new game. And it would be so expensive for SQUAD/Private Division to do that you would probably have to pay $60 for it. 

So doing that isn't really worth it, and as you said it won't happen - you might as well just buy KSP2 :wink:

Closest you could get is stock Interstellar Extended / Extraplanetary Launchpads / Orbital Shipyards.

7 hours ago, Fraston said:
On 6/4/2020 at 9:05 PM, DylanPruden said:

This really angers me. KSP was originally a passion project, and AAA madmen getting their unwashed-of-the-metal-smell-of-change corporate hands feels viscerally wrong. 

On 6/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, JackONeil81 said:

I have the feeling KSP 2 will be an EpicStore-Exclusive and dropped support for MacOS an Linux.

*grits teeth, shakes fist in the air and stifles an incredibly loud, profane rant that would scorch the very silica in the surrounding earth into glass*

Remember when Star Theory / Uber Entertainment made overpriced DLC for PA? ST or I, KSP 2 has an equal chance of being milked for money.

7 hours ago, Fraston said:
On 6/4/2020 at 6:14 PM, Jansn67 said:

This community is a wonderful thing to be involved in, and I’ve known about this wonderful game for 3.5 years. My nostalgia of old SWDennis, Danny2462, Matt Lowne, Nexter’s Lab and Scott Manley YouTube uploads is nigh on par with my nostalgia of pre-1.4 Minecraft and old app games like Fruit Ninja and Candy Crush, despite those memories being almost twice as old. I will support this game whatever direction it goes so long as it preserves the original pillars and is recognizable to the 1.3x I spent the weeks after my birthday playing all those 2 and 3/4s years ago. I had strong hopes for KSP2 to be the splendid KSP sequel, to compound my love of this awesome game, to be the definitive game to complete my collection of “mind and eye candy, plus a full salad for the mind as well games” like Factorio, modded Minecraft and Besiege. But now my hopes are being held within a vise grip that threatens to shatter them by the threat of a corporate entity tainting this dream game.

Take Two management,

If you are reading this and haven’t got your precious corporate feelings hurt by the previous posts, I have one demand for you. One. That is to not screw this amazing game up. You will disappoint an enormous amount of people and this wonderful community will die an agonizing death. 

With trepidation and anxiety,

Don't worry. Under the control of either Uber or TT, the same team will still be working on KSP 2.

Edited by Bej Kerman

• 4 weeks later...

I would very much like to see a detailed outline of the plan for multiplayer mode. It's great that it's going to be a thing, but terms (or rather marketing aiding search tags) like 'Multplayer', 'Co-Op' and 'Online Co-Op' are terms much abused by publishers, on Steam in particular.

I worry that MP will be deliberately left open to consumer misinterpretation in a similar way that 'Create your own missions' was.

Essentially my concern is that it will end up being an entirely external 'quickplay mode', or else a 'drop in on your buddy's game and do some stuff' which while fun, is entirely NOT what I personally want from KSP multiplayer.

So I guess the TL/DR question is:

Is the plan for multiplayer for it to be played in a persistent world with possibilities for (and for that matter 'a point to having') dedicated servers?

The answer to this question may well be the deciding factor in whether or not I buy the game at release, or wait for a sale. Regardless, it will for sure influence my potential future decisions regarding DLCs and such like.

7 minutes ago, DirtyFace83 said:

Is the plan for multiplayer for it to be played in a persistent world with possibilities for (and for that matter 'a point to having') dedicated servers?

KSP is not Elite Dangerous, how would a persistent universe on dedicated servers work? Unless it's just a private coop with free hosting it wouldn't work. 

29 minutes ago, Master39 said:

KSP is not Elite Dangerous, how would a persistent universe on dedicated servers work? Unless it's just a private coop with free hosting it wouldn't work. 

I mean a la DMP. Rather than a la No Man's Sky. Where any or all players can log off and have a life, and the Kerbals on the way to the mun continue on their journey.

34 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I absolutely neither expect nor want KSP:MMO

Edited by DirtyFace83