sh1pman

Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

Recommended Posts

Will the game be released DRM-free (either as a downloadable exe or on a DRM-free storefront like GOG)? As a long-time DRM-free player, I hope the franchise continues to support DRM-free play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

@nestor So will there be the kerbol system along with other systems or just a whole new system altogether 

The screenshot on page 1 or 2 of this thread showing the new Jupiter-like gas giant planet with multiple rings doesn't exist in the current Kerbol system of KSP1, so I would guess most likely it will probably be an all new system. SQUAD (Developers of KSP1) are completely hands-off on the entire development of KSP2 and it's being created by a completely all new team that has nothing to do with SQUAD so it's further highly unlikely to have anything even remotely similar to Kerbol in the new game. It's probably most likely going to be a completely new and different game, with new and different planets.

Edited by kithylin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

i was having a really crappy day. then i finally got a second to relax. fired up youtube and there was this ksp2 teaser on my thing. my mood is much better now. 

Edited by Nuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

You can terrain activate colliders in KSP 1, in the options. BG DLC features already have colliders.

?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kithylin said:

The screenshot on page 1 or 2 of this thread showing the new Jupiter-like gas giant planet with multiple rings doesn't exist in the current Kerbol system of KSP1, so I would guess most likely it will probably be an all new system. SQUAD (Developers of KSP1) are completely hands-off on the entire development of KSP2 and it's being created by a completely all new team that has nothing to do with SQUAD so it's further highly unlikely to have anything even remotely similar to Kerbol in the new game. It's probably most likely going to be a completely new and different game, with new and different planets.

There's some stuff in the Steam page about planetary colonies and interstellar travel.  It's also possible that it'll start with a version (possibly improved, or not) of the Kerbin system just like in the first game.  Then you can research and expand, eventually allowing travel to some *other* star system that has a gas giant with rings.  There's also a screenshot in one of the promos of a big green gas giant, which seems pretty likely to be Jool.  The Kerbin system is pretty unique, nearly as much a part of the identity of the game as the Kerbals themselves.  (There's also the part where the Kerbin system is already built, and being able to show "before" and "after" pictures of say, Jool with flat green shading and Jool with detailed clouds makes for great hype screenshots.)

I'm not sayinging they *can't* ditch it and have the game be set somewhere else.  Just that there's probably some factors that would require really thinking about it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually really excited. I do hope for Linux support in the future, but I am curious what feature KSP2 will have to offer either way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sunclover said:

he Kerbin system is pretty unique, nearly as much a part of the identity of the game as the Kerbals themselves.  (There's also the part where the Kerbin system is already built, and being able to show "before" and "after" pictures of say, Jool with flat green shading and Jool with detailed clouds makes for great hype screenshots.

Also, it would be great to see the locations we already know and love done in high quality.  Who knows if it will be there, but it would be nice to still have that island to test fly planes too, for example. 

Edited by Tw1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so is there going to be a preorder? i have another preorder elsewhere i can cancel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, Squad folks. Following up something like KSP is not at all easy. It probably already has been a series of challenging decisions about what is kept and what is going to be new, and that's particularly hard with games that have strong existing (game) atmospheres.

The up side is that a win will probably be a pretty big win. So, as said, good luck and godspeed, we're all counting on you. Insert Leslie Nielsen meme here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part 2? Wow!!!!  A huge thanks to all those involved to make KSP what it is today!.....I am a Kerbonaut forever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Nuke said:

so is there going to be a preorder? i have another preorder elsewhere i can cancel. 

I would strongly suggest you hold your horses on that thought. Some companies have even accepted pre-orders for steam versions of the game and then later gone epic exclusive and then refusing to refund pre-orders (mech warrior 5). You may possibly buy a pre-order version today and then have to wait 1 year to be able to play it, (or possibly completely lose money and never even get any copy of the game at all.) for example.

3 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Part 2? Wow!!!!  A huge thanks to all those involved to make KSP what it is today!.....I am a Kerbonaut forever!

It's not "KSP Part 2", it's an all new game by a completely different team of developers in a different company. No one yet knows what will be in the new game and what (if anything at all) from today's KSP game will be in the new game. For all we know the only thing relating to KSP in the new game may be Kerbals and space ships.

Edited by kithylin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also, I know it probably won't matter, but speculation is pointless at this point, the link in this post have everything we're likely to know for a while and updates will come periodically. And more importantly, the information we have now isn't enough to know much of anything other than it's not intended to be a radical departure from KSP. What I read as the intent is they they want it to be KSPbis, improve what is good and smooth over the rough parts while adding features that have mostly only been accessible to modded installs, while building a much more solid framework to support future expansion as well as mods.

Edited by vossiewulf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

NDA, sorry

Heh, as I posted that, I thought to myself "This seems like the sort of question that gets NDA'd".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

@nestor So will there be the kerbol system along with other systems or just a whole new system altogether 

32 minutes ago, kithylin said:

The screenshot on page 1 or 2 of this thread showing the new Jupiter-like gas giant planet with multiple rings doesn't exist in the current Kerbol system of KSP1, so I would guess most likely it will probably be an all new system. SQUAD (Developers of KSP1) are completely hands-off on the entire development of KSP2 and it's being created by a completely all new team that has nothing to do with SQUAD so it's further highly unlikely to have anything even remotely similar to Kerbol in the new game. It's probably most likely going to be a completely new and different game, with new and different planets.

13 minutes ago, Tw1 said:

Also, it would be great to see the locations we already know and love done in high quality.  Who knows if it will be there, but it would be nice to still have that island to test fly planes too, for example. 

23 minutes ago, Sunclover said:

There's some stuff in the Steam page about planetary colonies and interstellar travel.  It's also possible that it'll start with a version (possibly improved, or not) of the Kerbin system just like in the first game.  Then you can research and expand, eventually allowing travel to some *other* star system that has a gas giant with rings.  There's also a screenshot in one of the promos of a big green gas giant, which seems pretty likely to be Jool.  The Kerbin system is pretty unique, nearly as much a part of the identity of the game as the Kerbals themselves.  (There's also the part where the Kerbin system is already built, and being able to show "before" and "after" pictures of say, Jool with flat green shading and Jool with detailed clouds makes for great hype screenshots.)

I'm not sayinging they *can't* ditch it and have the game be set somewhere else.  Just that there's probably some factors that would require really thinking about it first.

Direct quote from the website:

Quote

[...]enable new feats of space exploration within and beyond the original Kerbolar System.

Bold emphasis mine. Yeah, we're getting the original solar system, just with other solar systems around other stars.

And the cinematic trailer and Steam store page clearly show existing planets and moons. This is clearly Jool and Vall:

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tw1 said:

That it doesn't result in  people  no longer playing the first

Why? Can't agree less. I hope that it is so good and encompasses everything the first one has and more, so that we don't end up having a split in the community that feels the new game is lacking something so significant that they would rather play the first game . This would cast a big shadow on what KSP means to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kerenatus said:

so the option is to take what we would be given i guess.

...or not take it.  Which is what I'm doing for the year that Phoenix Point isn't on GOG.  Gamer's always talk about not buying a companies product because of X, but rarely follow through.  I'm to the point where I'm more than willing to follow through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EvWoN said:

Why? Can't agree less. I hope that it is so good and encompasses everything the first one has and more, so that we don't end up having a split in the community that feels the new game is lacking something so significant that they would rather play the first game . This would cast a big shadow on what KSP means to us.

Looks like that's what they're aiming for, too, with all the original parts and solar system showing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to know what kind of new tech we'll get. Scramjets? VASMIR engines? Antimatter powered FTL drives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We have no announcements for these platforms at this time, but we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many players as we can.

Honestly, this is my biggest fear, that it will be Windows only.  There have been a few games I've played that had Mac versions and the sequel (or major expansion) was Windows only.  I realize it wasn't a "no", but it wasn't a resounding "yes" either.  I'll be cautiously optimistic that it will get a Mac release and I'll get to play KSP2 and not get left out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

...or not take it.  Which is what I'm doing for the year that Phoenix Point isn't on GOG.  Gamer's always talk about not buying a companies product because of X, but rarely follow through.  I'm to the point where I'm more than willing to follow through.

hmm:D

personally the pubilshing store doesn't matter that much to me.

as long as the game is decent, i'd buy it.

hopefully there's a preorder so that i can secure the ideal store like the case of anno1800 LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! I was just wondering, will this game be ported to the Nitnendo Switch in the future, much like its predecessor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have so many mixed feelings about this I can't even begin to express them. So instead - and for now before I read the past 16 pages - let me list the things I'm concerned and/or excited about without saying what I actually think about them. Because I don't know.

  • Clouds.
  • Colonies.
  • "Not actual gameplay"
  • Not actually Squad.
  • Unity
  • Coming out next year.
  • FTL/Interstellar travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.