sh1pman

Kerbal Space Program 2: Master Post

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, PulsarPixie said:

Q: How much will Kerbal Space Program 2 cost?

A: $59.99 USD

Ain't sayin' it wouldn't be worth it. I know that 60$ is some industry magic price point.  But, 60 USD (80-90 CAD depending on the day) is a bit over my impulse buy price point; which KSP-1 was at the time. It's even over the yeah I can swing it this month price point. This is in the i'm going to have to think about it and wait for a sale territory. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Sorry, had added "terrain" word at the wrong place.  

Terrain features colliders can be activated in the game options so you don't necessarily go through rocks and trees. As for Breaking Ground DLC terrain features, there must be some colliders in those since I I saw kerbals jumping into cryo volcanos and so on. They even need colliders for the scanning arm to work properly since it has a drill and laser chams.

I see no such option in 1.71.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This really is something to look forwards to. And so soon, spring 2020! Joy!

I hope there will be ways to do re-usable rockets like SpaceX. Some sort of automated landing would be necessary, too, or those things could never return and land so precise on a landing pad (or a drone boat....?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean, Squad has hired two companies now to make two separate attempts at creating a console version of KSP to middling success.  Relieving them of all responsibility seems irresponsible.

Actually relieving them of the responsibility may in fact be the most prudent option available.

37 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Somehow I became the OP of this thread. Weird but ok

I assume you were the first post on the original thread, so your post is actually older than the "first" post of this thread.

I also assume they could change the time stamps so the thread was more logically ordered, but I don't know this forum software very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PulsarPixie

Will everything be loaded to memory like how things works now in ksp? Or will there be some optimization?(only loading models when needed)

These models seems to need more memory and if everything needs to be loaded on the start...I don't know if 16G will be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy to see it's still Unity based since that means I won't have to learn too much more in order to make mods for it :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

If you think the $60 is an issue, wait until people realize they need a full gaming spec rig.

Oh, but I already have that.” — then the $60 isn’t an issue.

I’m always amazed how a lot of people seem to expect that software engineers will work for free.

 

Oh definitely, i wasn't really thinking it's too much. It's just that 60$ is such a standard value that just screams, "i'll be fully developed and matured game, buy me". And I just can't see it happening.

If this was SQUAD, i'd think they are crazy, then i'd buy it on launch and roll the bumpy road with a smile. But as it is with new developer the price it just rises red flag for me. IMHO it feels like they are aiming too high at the start (seen that one too many times), and i fear it will flop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I don't know if it was asked or answered but will axial tilt be a thing in ksp2? 

I just hope it won't be another case of "it's too hard, let's pander to the most inept of the players in order not to lose interest and forget about tilt".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I just hope it won't be another case of "it's too hard, let's pander to the most inept of the players in order not to lose interest and forget about tilt".

I suspect we might get axial tilt! Looking at Duna(1:32 in the trailer) with a fully lit ice cap suggests it's about 90 degrees titled. Also look at the ringed planet at 1:58, the terminator doesn't cross directly over the pole but seems to be a few degrees off. Similar example at 2:13. And because rings are typically in an equatorial orbit, axial tilt is a much needed feature to light them properly and make the game look good.

Edited by Dappa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nao said:

Oh definitely, i wasn't really thinking it's too much. It's just that 60$ is such a standard value that just screams, "i'll be fully developed and matured game, buy me". And I just can't see it happening.

If this was SQUAD, i'd think they are crazy, then i'd buy it on launch and roll the bumpy road with a smile. But as it is with new developer the price it just rises red flag for me. IMHO it feels like they are aiming too high at the start (seen that one too many times), and i fear it will flop.

1) You don't know how long they are been working on it for

2) There is a current benchmark to aim for - lessons will have been learned from KSP that can be applied to KSP2

Regarding the price comment from other people: Think about your PC you play KSP or other games on. Now compare that to the game price. Probably a lot lower. If it's good, there's a tonne of replay value, it will be totally worth it. At least you know the price now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mystik said:

They're not? Then why are they promoting a competing game development studio? You think Squad isn't raking in the cash for the sale of the idea to another studio?

I don’t think you understand the concept of parent companies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party, here, but find it's still in full swing!

First - Wow.  Just Wow.  If the gameplay is half as good as the cinematics, we're in for a treat.

From the Developer video and stuff posted on-line, it does appear that Star.Theory have started with a brief of - If we were to develop KSP from scratch, knowing what the community likes/dislikes and what mods are considered essential - what would we come up with?  If they deliver on that brief then this will be the game of our dreams - literally.  So many of the things that various folk have cried out for in 1.x are right there in the specs.  Fantastic!

Personally, I am over the Mun to see that not only are mods to be encouraged, but they intend to expose more of the internals to give modders even more scope.

So - my Christmas list is already updated to include a shiny new GP-equipped PC to play this on.

 

Picking up some comments from the dev video - and what we see in the cinematic - it seems that this is set in the familiar "Kerbol" planetary system, but with some changes - it may be that the back-story is something like - a rogue planet smashed into the system and caused the Kerbals to use their newly developed space faring abilities to go seek out new worlds to colonise?  Let's see.  This looks like a great ride!

[Edit - actually, maybe the scenario isn't quite what I inferred from views of what appeared to be Duna lit from the pole - hence not in its usual orbital inclination - and the new exoplanets Rask and Rusk that looked as if they'd had a bit of an argument]

Edited by Vexillar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Pvt. KASA said:

I would love to have a fully working IVA, maybe even with VR support

 

Me too. You can do that with a few mods already (except for the VR support), but I would be awesome if they added it in KSP2. In the Developers video you can see some part in which they're inside a real Command Pod, so who knows, maybe they were using that capsule as a reference to make functional IVAs in the game (I really hope so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, madindehead said:

1) You don't know how long they are been working on it for

2) There is a current benchmark to aim for - lessons will have been learned from KSP that can be applied to KSP2

Regarding the price comment from other people: Think about your PC you play KSP or other games on. Now compare that to the game price. Probably a lot lower. If it's good, there's a tonne of replay value, it will be totally worth it. At least you know the price now. 

Ad 1), yup heard that too many times. Can't remember any time long dev time helped anything (at least in similar case to this).
Ad 2), yup they know "what" they are doing which is like 20% of the game at best, remaining 80% of "how" to do it is to be discovered afresh.
But hey fresh developer making a big, complicated game in a closed environment is a recipe for success. It sure worked for No man's sky for example, i'm sure KSP2 can match that. (this is both sarcasm and expectation that it will work out in the end).

Anyways having friends in game dev really strips you from rose tinted glasses of hype when you know how things work in the kitchen. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trailer looks really cool and I will definitely be buying the game. Will the developers be listening to the requests of the community like they did with the first game though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some things I hope that remain in KSP2 is the wrong staging of boosters and parachutes that we all have a had a few times and the explosions on the launchpad and things like that. Misstakes should be punished in a great or funny way. Nothing should be perfect and I really like those love ups after building a craft and it should stay in KSP2. KSP2 wouldn't be ksp without explosions. Also the Kraken, I think we all had an love/hate relationship with the Kraken. 

Edited by rowns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Aaodon said:

Will all planets come DLC for free?

https://steamdb.info/app/954850/subs/

Well .. this rise quite a lot of questions about already planed DLC packs...  .... Developers please dont make it like "In game shop" with planets pack or interstellar travel mechanism.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nao said:

Ad 1), yup heard that too many times. Can't remember any time long dev time helped anything (at least in similar case to this).
Ad 2), yup they know "what" they are doing which is like 20% of the game at best, remaining 80% of "how" to do it is to be discovered afresh.
But hey fresh developer making a big, complicated game in a closed environment is a recipe for success. It sure worked for No man's sky for example, i'm sure KSP2 can match that. (this is both sarcasm and expectation that it will work out in the end).

Anyways having friends in game dev really strips you from rose tinted glasses of hype when you know how things work in the kitchen. Sorry.

Your 2nd point there is totally invalid. It has been mentioned that devs from Squad are helping the team at Star Theory, and they themselves are not inexperienced devs and as fans of the original KSP. 

Yes - it's a from the ground up rebuild. But having people there who know how things were developed the first time around, know how it was fixed and how to not do it again are all very helpful. So it working in the same engine. I haven't worked in software development, but I did work in electronic hardware design, a I know that having even 1 person there to guide me a bit helped massively. I appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but a have a bit of faith that the developers know what they are doing, understand how to do it and know what people love about the game and what needs to be improved.  

10 minutes ago, REMD said:

Well .. this rise quite a lot of questions about already planed DLC packs...  .... Developers please dont make it like "In game shop" with planets pack or interstellar travel mechanism.....

One of those items is a dev only item. From looking at other games on Steam, a package appears to be any deal that the game is sold under. I doubled checked vs Portal 2 and it has around 71 packages that include the app. You could speculate that one is a discount for owners of the original game. It could be a season pass for ALL DLC ever. It could be anything. But it doesn't appear to be DLC. 

Edited by madindehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.