Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

13 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I'd like the same easter eggs teasing about ancient Kerbal lore transferred over, like Duna's SSTV and Val's stonehenge, as well as new stuff. Perhaps snippets could be unlocked through science?

I'd like to see an easter egg of an ancient ksc(the 1st), an old ksc(2nd, our current one) and a new ksc.:D

I guess one of my wishes has been granted: I was hoping for an LHS 1140 b like planet (a gigantic temperate Super-Earth with >2g), and one of the few planets revealed in the Q&A does seem to fit this description. No hints to whether it orbits a red dwarf or a more Sun-like star. 

I'm copying this from an older post of mine. I didn't want to re type it but it is my view on how career mode should be different. 

Intro:

So hear me out. The best way to get people back in the game is to make something new. Although I'm loving that they are making mods like infernal robotics a supported function of the game, it doesn't change the fact that a lot of us have been using those features for years. Same with the deployable experiments. everything added since the late stages of early access have been mods with the exception of their first dlc (which felt more like a groundwork than an actual feature in my book). With that said, there is one area of the content market that hasn't been touched, career mode and science mode. Besides for the rearrangement of the tec tree and the addition of a few new missions here and there, not much has changed. I've also thought the way these features have been implemented seemed a little shallow. What I want to suggest is a new overhaul for these two modes.

The first part of this is looking at how it works in the real world.

Science:

(Continuing the comment the next day. Thought I would post it up here to avoid confusion)

Problems with science:

In real life, there isn't the direct correlation seen in ksp between science as we see it in the game and the advancements made in technology. The relationship in real life is 90% of the time closer to finding new problems we have to solve. This is never a problem in ksp because we are given all the information about all the star, all the planets and everything in between. what is the point of bringing a barometer to a planet where you already know everything about its atmosphere? In the real world, we had tests to see if space was a vacuum, we had to run many tests to see if we could pressurize a capsule, and we had little idea about any of the stuff we know until we sent something there to test it (Think about our recent visit of Pluto).

Problems with technological advancements:

The other problem with how career mode/science mode was made was almost systemic. I feel like what was implemented wasn't there original gameplan. I've come to this conclusion because of how little their parts actually fit into the tec tree idea they have implemented. The tec in the game was not designed to go into a tec tree. For the most part, the "tec level" is based on the size of a part and not actually how much knowledge was needed to build it. What I want to see is the implementation of iterative designs.

My solution:

Basically, you start out with a lot of junk parts. These parts look bad, don't work well, probably fail in environments outside of Kerbin sea level, and for good measure, have a base fail chance. Along with taking missions to study your solar system (of which you know nothing about), you would also take missions from your science team to help them improve your parts. unlike the test missions given off now. These missions would give you credits towards upgrading our parts. Along with these missions to give you credits. there would be general things like allowing engines to work in a vacuum, water, restart, throttle, etc. (All things we had to learn, and are still learning, in the field). This science would be collected by doing things like the barometric test and temperature tests we see in KSP today.

A good way to think of this is the first capsule ou send to space should always be empty. It needs to be tested first. Without things like this, this game is missing out on some of the best parts of our job in exploring the world and beyond!

Career:

Problems with Career & the suggested improvements:

The main problem with the career is how lightweight it really is. There is very little to it, and it's hard to actually mess up. This is fine for some, but I think a lot of us were originally hoping for a bit more. A lot of what makes career modes great is the management. You need to be able to see your expenses and take risks. Squad tried to implement this before launch with that one building no one ever clicks on but it really doesn't work that well. a career mode should revolve around time and funds managment. You should see how much it costs to maintain a team of engineers as well as how long it takes to build a rocket. An alarm clock and construction time should be implemented. You should be able to speed up the construction of a craft with part failure chance going up. you should be able to fire staff to lower your costs and hire them as needed. There should be a monthly/yearly expense report. These features would go a long way to making career mode a better mode. A few more ideas would be including things like kerbal konstructs, allowing you to spend money to build more launch pads as well as just more infrastructure.  I don't like that particular mod too much because of how messy it looks but a lighter version of it could go a long way. The main point I would say is to look at a game like X-COM. It has a solid management system that would work beautifully in a game like KSP. even the kerbal upgrade sstem could be improved along the same lines.

3 hours ago, Kerenatus said:

I'd like to see an easter egg of an ancient ksc(the 1st), an old ksc(2nd, our current one) and a new ksc.:D

I hope the easter egg is just a giant crater

It's important to me that the game doesn't have any strings. No always-online, no MTX. 

As far as wishes; full IVA interactivity, and VR support would be amazing. It would be even cooler if we could move around IVA, but it would be amazing even as a cockpit sim.

I have a very special wish: shorter loading times. 

Please use the new foundation for proper streaming technologies. This sounds silly, but the long initial loading time and the time needed when switching scenes really nag on me in KSP. I would play the game four times as often, if jumping into the game and exiting it again would work more fluently. 

I want a Uranus look-Alike with a close orbiting moon the passes under and over the ring as it orbits.  Of course it would be tidaly locked which suits me just fine.
Next I want optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, optimization, so I can have big ships near big other ships/bases without lagging.
Finally don't forget electric propellers for those atmospheric world exploration

So hyped.

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

In the developer movie they explicily mention that KSP 2, in constrast to KSP 1 which focused on early space technology,  will instead focus on near and far future development. so we will be able to launch a mission to the mun as a start and continu from there

Looks like they took a lot of inspiration from Interstellar mod ;)  I am very curious how the future tech will be implemented. I saw ships with tons of radiators and i believe a Daedalus Engine. Looks promising.

I'd like some sort of re-usability mechanics, A la Falcon 9. Other than that; everything they've shown has got me excited. I've always wanted a colony system that you could build from raw materials and not lug around inflatable habitats.

DRM Free version

no splitting content for monetization like in some other Take 2 games

no simplification, new game should be at least complex as old game

Edited by Ravien

I will have :

1- life support,

2- recoloring setting for every parts (customisable colour and reflect)

3- multi parent part

4- clickable IVA to be able to control everything from the cockpit

Then I will thank you so much for these things <3

PS : optimization too ^.^

Lots of good suggestions. 

Weather effects certainly sound intriguing. 

Personally my wishes are:

1. More time spent with space challenges as opposed to game engine challenges. While the game engine challenges did provide very entertaining situations... This time around I'd prefer space travel related challenges (stuff breaking, communication line of sight/delay, life support, hostile environment, redundancy etc.). 

2. Ingame tools and engine support to manage multiple concurrent flights with a high degree of automation of executing premade flightplans. In other words I don't wanna have to take control of a ship just because it crosses a sphere of influence or needs to execute a simple maneuver node. When I as a player needs to take control its because something exciting or dangerous is happening. 

3. Some sort of production time (and refurbishment time for ssto / spaceplanes) for career mode... I do find it a little silly to be able to launch things instantly. Add some sort of production facilities and their planning to the base. 

But nonetheless I'm very excited for ksp2. 

They need to make exploration much more interesting.  The planets we land on need variety, and just things to do.. The Ground Experiments in breaking ground are a good start.. But it has to be more than hey I landed, 5 mins later lets get back.  We need substance on the ground, things to keep us there long enough, and life support.. Life support and clouds, and dust... Etc.. Just saying.

It should work Like this... Take off, land on body, gather science... oh no not enough time to do anymore, not enough snacks... take off, land.  Plan mission 2.  Or rescue.. what ever comes first.

i hope they include moving robotic parts in the base game because i don't wanna spend money on dlc just to get something i can get for free in the form of infernal robotics, even though IR is glitchy as heck. i wanna build my walkers on day one dammit

also my computer is a potato so i hope it runs as well as ksp 1 does on it. 

But overall, i'm hyped.

Edited by BananaBread
wanted to add more text

I'd love to have less 'hard line' biome boundaries and more of a gradual change from one area to another.

Related to this, it would be great if everything about a planet isn't given to you from a summary page and you have to research the data to know this. 

Having specific data sets to discover was one of the awesome things about KSP. I hope to have already builtin game graphing (for those inclined) and being able to map how the atmo temp changes during a launch. Or investigate the same Atmos readings, but during reentry of a foreign planet. Stuff like that really captures the wonder of discovering stuff in this game I love....  all while raging in frustration about forgetting a parachute.