Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

Many little big things I would love to see in-game:

A) It could be difficult to implement, but, what about a replay system? Imagine something like this (something less complex obviously) https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

B) Voice lines for the Kerbals in radio comms, no bootleg simlish please. Nereiuq is zov areñ im oczerfo, séver la onacixem loñapse ne nelbah Slabrek sol euq.

C) A photo mode, or even a Sandbox/director mode would be nice. I guess that will be on the shoulders of the modding comunity again.

D) Lightsails, useless gameplaywise, just for fun.

E) A kerbalized version of Elon Musk giving us a contract to launch a driveable roadster. You know you want this.

15 hours ago, Marachdrifter said:

Multiple monitor support. 

I want to have my ship in full view in one monitor, and the map in my second, or i want to have one ship in one monitor and a second ship in the second one when docking so that i can control both of them at the same time, or having Kerbals in EVA in one screen and the ship in the second one....

things like that. i think you get the idea...

Absolutely this!

I always wanted a multi screen setup like flight data on the right. ship in all its glory in the center and orbital map on the right.

@ZooNamedGames Some great suggestions here. I agree with most if not all of them.

Regarding your suggestions for DLC - generally, DLCs should offer something that can’t just be modded in for free, and with the enhanced moddability that was mentioned for KSP2, finding suitable content for DLCs may become more difficult for Star Theory. For example, it may be possible for a modder to create a planet/engine editor (as you suggested), meaning that less people will spend money on a DLC that they can essentially get for free through a mod.

13 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

From pre-alpha gameplay footage, I'm seeing KSP1 parts in KSP2. So Star Theory's claims that KSP1 parts can't be upgraded into KSP2 makes little sense. If they're claiming that the balances (engine thrust, fuel contained, etc) is different then that's a different matter entirely, but not one that can't be rectified. It just seems odd they'd copy the first game's parts and still say they're not compatible. A simple conversion to rebuild KSP1 craft using KSP2 parts even as an external program seems rather straight forward (if it's X part from a directory list of KSP1 parts, then assign KSP2 from KSP2 part directory, in XYZ coordinate spot). A better answer would be appreciated since right now their answer and their actions are in conflict.

Star theory has said that they are rebuilding this game from the ground up, so while the KSP2 parts may look the same as the old models, it may be coded differently.

13 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Actual Research in RnD facilities

I think i would like some research processing lab in the RnD, like in the Mobile Processing lab, where data is transmitted and it takes time for science to be made. (Maybe major breakthroughs could cause kerbals to multiply)

Edited by DunaManiac

On 8/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, Tw1 said:

Just as long as this doesn't become a big focus. One of the shortcomings of KSP1 was by making so many thing happen through contracts, it told you what to do, rather than giving you reasons. 
I don't want to be told to do something I want to be able to see goals of my own, and do things which let me achieve those goals.

I hope finding specific resources starts to play a mechanic in the game. Have techs that provide parts that need to made with certain minerals that can only be founds on certain planets. doing this would provide an incentive structure for exploration and colonization.

I'm wondering if automation will be part of the game at all... Having colonies on multiple planets and even different solar systems sounds like a lot of logistical transporting

Also hoping for time warp while accelerating. If I can accelerate and warp simultaneously in an atmosphere then why cant I do so in space?

I personally hope for 2 things in Ksp 2, highly tweakable parts and functional flight computer which allows you to write simple scripts in a way that would seamlessly work with the rest of the game and be interchangeable with things like staging or action groups.

Tweakable parts are pretty self-explanatory, it's better to have a manageable amount well refined parts that can be customized and used in many creative ways rather than having a plenty of parts that are pretty much variants of the same thing. Those wouldn't be completely procedural parts but you would be able to pick different variants of a part and adjust it's size and attributes to a certain degree allowed by part designers. 

Good example for this is adjusting the nozzle and mount type of an engine, tweaking the size of the spherical tanks or adjusting the length of a ladder/landing gear. Wings/winglets with a tweakable size and shape are also desirable. 

For basic programming, I would see incorporating a clean and simple scripting language whith intuitive buit-in library(so most of useful functions and features are already implemented into the language) that could be used both for complete automation(Like landing scripts made in kOS) as well as simple macros and scripts triggered by function keys or staging events. 

Action groups and Staging list itself could be based on the same scripting language under the hood so you either add an item on the staging list containing few lines of code to do something simple(like change throttle setting or unfold solar panels) or decide to dive more into details and rely on scripting entirely if graphical editor is holding you back. 

I think that this approach would be a pretty powerful tool for advanced players but also people who just want to automate only few commands or use pre-made components shared by the community, especially if they are saved together with a craft file. 

Edited by karolus10

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@ZooNamedGames Some great suggestions here. I agree with most if not all of them.

Regarding your suggestions for DLC - generally, DLCs should offer something that can’t just be modded in for free, and with the enhanced moddability that was mentioned for KSP2, finding suitable content for DLCs may become more difficult for Star Theory. For example, it may be possible for a modder to create a planet/engine editor (as you suggested), meaning that less people will spend money on a DLC that they can essentially get for free through a mod.

That idea would be fine if it actually occurred. Right now planet making and engine creation is only for those savvy with configs and modeling in Blender. For those who aren't savvy in those ways, then planet/engine creation is out of the picture. Its much easier to make these things in game like the Mission Maker than it is to whip out Blender and Notepad++ and trial and error creating planets working through all the exceptions and errors the planets and parts create. 

TL/DR

I am sure many people from this wonderful community already pointed out many things that I wish to see on KSP2.

KSP 1 teach us a lot of orbital mechanics (at least for people that did not understand it fully) but in a way, not 100% realistic.

I hope KSP 2 have at least a mode where these things could be more real.

Anyway, in hopes that the devs see this, here is my "small" wish list:

• Proper life support
  • realistic radiation management
  • realistic heat damage
  • proper physics engine in all environments
  • even better editor then KSP 1 (which is great already)
  • Stability, stability, stability
  • no bugs (I know this one is pretty hard)
  • mod support as easy as we have it now or even better
  • No DRM !!!
  • No milking the community with endless DLC's by providing half of the game
  • Logical career progression
  • proper exploration (maybe adding some random stuff or / and procedural stuff making KSP 2 unique for each player
  • quests, missions, whatever you wanna call it, something that makes sense
  • proper science instead of "fly, click, repeat"
  • Listen to the community (maybe the most important thing from everything else)
  • Talking about the community, good communications between devs and the community
  • Proper solar system (I saw some weird stuff in the trailer, I know it is pretty soon, but planets with the line day/nigh from pole to pole is weird unless some planet is on a 90º degree angle from the rest
  • Variety in the worlds, not just endless flat land with fake rocks.
  • difficulty levels for noobs to vets, less real to most realistic possible 

It is not hard to see what the community wants, just look at the amazing mods many people have created.

Personally, I cannot play KSP without mods, for me, the stock game does not make sense and does not give me any sense of achievement or challenge.

Support the community, we are all here crazy waiting to buy the game, you already have people dying to give you money, and if you must, do DLC's in the future, bring good content that matters, not just half dozen parts by 30 bucks. If you do good, if you offer good, we buy and we will ever support you.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

Star theory has said that they are rebuilding this game from the ground up, so while the KSP2 parts may look the same as the old models, it may be coded differently.

Still not a decent explanation- it's matching. If X in KSP1 then replace with Y from KSP2. Yes, their coding is different- but this isn't about reading the parts specific config- this is about knowing each part's ID from a premade directory with all of the parts already listed. If it matches an ID from the list, then it finds the corresponding KSP2 item from that list. It sees "mk1 fuel tank" ID, so it picks the KSP2 version of the tank listed in the KSP2 part directory. Same for every other part 

1 hour ago, Kar said:

but planets with the line day/nigh from pole to pole

I think that the sideways duna in the trailer was not an actual representation of Duna, I believe it was intentionally wrong because it looks cooler that way in the trailer.

As other people seem to want scripting as well: I would suggest using an already existing language over inventing a new one like kOS did (needed to do?). Lua would be nice, as it seems to be the most commonly used game scripting language.

3 hours ago, Kar said:
  • Proper solar system (I saw some weird stuff in the trailer, I know it is pretty soon, but planets with the line day/nigh from pole to pole is weird unless some planet is on a 90º degree angle from the rest
  • Variety in the worlds, not just endless flat land with fake rocks.

Even with a 90° angle it makes no sense. In the video, the sun shines straight to the ice cap. Why would there be ice on the hottest spot? But yeah, surely just a mistake (they happen, so don't get your hopes too high on a bugfree game, that's virtually impossible), and hopefully not an indicator for future quality assurance...

I agree that we need real rocks, Breaking Ground was a good start. As of variety: I prefer realistic over artificial variety. In KSP 1, planets are anything but flat. They are boring, bumpy/hilly bodies, which makes landing hard, but is not interesting at all. Also, mountains are too high on most bodies. I'm fine with (relative) flats, as long as there are also interesting craters, mountains, canyons etc.

Edited by infinite_monkey

Would love to see a better docking interface.  Something more along the lines of Docking Port Alignment Indicator.

Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Navyfish)
https://spacedock.info/mod/543/Docking%20Port%20Alignment%20Indicator

Would be great if also had docking port cameras similar to

HullCamera VDS
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/HullcamVDSContinued/releases

Parts count limit being removed and linux support. And the ability to run at very low graphics and cpu or gpu usage if needed on top of it for good measure.

I like very big ship. And I cannot lie.

Edited by Arugela

On 8/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, rmaine said:

I'm hoping the KSP 2 team has proofreaders proficient enough in English to know that the correct plural of "craft" is "craft". I cringe enough to detract from the enjoyment whenever I read "crafts" in KSP 1. I tried interpreting it as Kerbal humor, but it just doesn't fit the same style of humor. :-)

SO MUCH this!

On 8/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

That idea would be fine if it actually occurred. Right now planet making and engine creation is only for those savvy with configs and modeling in Blender. For those who aren't savvy in those ways, then planet/engine creation is out of the picture. Its much easier to make these things in game like the Mission Maker than it is to whip out Blender and Notepad++ and trial and error creating planets working through all the exceptions and errors the planets and parts create. 

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Thank you for proving my point. I don't have Adobe Photoshop, and even if I did, I don't know how to use it.So I have to learn how to use it, and then continue to the troubleshooting I mentioned before to get it to work. 

I hope there will be asteroid belts and Kuiper belts, with more interesting variation between small bodies than size alone.  It would also be nice if small bodies put out their own (very, very feeble) gravity; I'd like to toy with making a gravitational tractor.

2 minutes ago, Nikolai said:

I hope there will be asteroid belts and Kuiper belts, with more interesting variation between small bodies than size alone.  It would also be nice if small bodies put out their own (very, very feeble) gravity; I'd like to toy with making a gravitational tractor.

Its been confirmed that they are not going to use n body physics.  Adding small SOIs was not addressed.

Also I haven't a clue what the person did for half of the video. Pure magic. No idea how, or why. So furthering my point of why an ingame planet editor would be a lot better than opening up Google and having to copy paste a dozen of images to start.