Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

can anyone answer me if devs have talked about making the game in vulkan api, if its multithreaded with the aim of 8+ cores, if they are trying to stabilize it for an expected of 100 mods.
if they plan to streamline parts to not bog down loading with 30min startup. to have tweakscale and upgradable parts instead of a list of 300 similar batteries u get with dumb mods.
instead of new parts you get a skin slider to keep inventory and building managable without 3rd party sorters/filters.
if you can have moon bases and launch sites. build automatic infrastructure iwth npc launches to deliver cargo and supplies off world. to have sprawling cities and towns/colony domes that expand and upgrade with time supplies and milesstones.
if late game u can terraform citycites and make green duna. if anomalies like wormholes dimensional rifts, gravity waves and such can randomly pop up.
if there will be a stock hardmode with manegment like kerbalism, health fitness rank, rpg like crew like medical officer commander quartermaster geologist.

1. Fair physics, especially friction. No more fake wheels mechanics.

2. Optimization. No more loading all game resources at startup.

3. Unified system of measures. No more units of fuel, just simple volume-weight relations.

4. More spectacularity. More interesting space objects.

1) more fun things to do on each planet. Hunting for surface features is nice, but we nead MOAR. MOAAAR

2) Related to 1, bottom of water bodies should be a challenge inside a challenge, of course at reaching there, stuff should await for the intrepid kerbals.

3) I fear and welcome the idea of alien artifacts scattered in the new star system. Could be sooo great, and also so underwhelming, depending of the execution. Plant life is a very easy and rewarding item to add.

4) Bases and Stations should have a purpose, beside sitting there. I created a lot, and never ever visit them.

5) I have KIS installed and to be able to build satellites in space and rovers on the surface is AWESOME. Plis.

6) To be able to build simple crafts to space monsters in offworlds shipshards would be a wet dream. That would solve point 4)

7) Science is nice, but i think it should go towards specific tech nodes, as some of the people here already stated. Analizing atmo while entering at X speed should give points towards heat shields, aerodinamics and such. To spend this science points in, say, mining, is silly.

8) Also, some data should only be usable if previously analized in space labs.

Certain things that need mods for now, I hope will be able to be changed in config files, mostly with whatever Module Nanager type thing we have.

For example, I'd be happy if we didn't need Kopernicus, Contract Configuraror, or Kerbal Konstructs.

I'd also like to not need Module Manager.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Certain things that need mods for now, I hope will be able to be changed in config files, mostly with whatever Module Nanager type thing we have.

For example, I'd be happy if we didn't need Kopernicus, Contract Configuraror, or Kerbal Konstructs.

I'd also like to not need Module Manager.

I feel module manager will always be needed, unless they built in a way for mods to overwrite other mods.

38 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I feel Module Manager will always be needed, unless they built in a way for mods to overwrite other mods.

I agree that many of us will need the function of Module Manager.  The hope expressed above (I think that is a reasonable hope.) is that Star Theory do build that function into the base game.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

I feel module manager will always be needed, unless they built in a way for mods to overwrite other mods.

28 minutes ago, OHara said:

I agree that many of us will need the function of Module Manager.  The hope expressed above (I think that is a reasonable hope.) is that Star Theory do build that function into the base game.

Yup, that's what I want.

Basically what I'd like is, any mod that doesn't do anything itself but just allows you to write configs to modify things in the game... should be in the game.

If the only mod you install is ModuleManager, or Kopernicus, or Contract Configurator*, then the game is going to basically run exactly the same as stock with no real changes. But what they allow are some of the most powerful changes possible in modding. I want that to be a stock function.

*CC actually does change the stock game in small but visible ways, but its main use is still to enable contract packs.

I'm picturing it as everything KSP1 lacks - smoother, less bugs, more planets, interstellar travel, better colonies, multiplayer - pretty much every thread from suggestions and development from the past year. From what we've seen in the trailers, it does pretty much seem like all the suggestions for KSP1 mashed into a brand new, more polished game. 

On 9/7/2019 at 11:19 PM, Bartybum said:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to give Kerbin axial tilt, since for new players learning how to get into orbit is already a significant task, let alone dealing with the dV losses axial tilt introduces. I think beginning the tilt at Duna would be a good idea instead, since going there is generally the first interplanetary step. The Mun is basically at zero eccentricity to allow players to first handle the concept of orbital transfers, and Minmus then adds inclined orbits. Duna then adds eccentricity, so I'd argue it's also a good case for introducing some light axial tilt. Something like Dres, Eeloo or Moho could introduce greater tilt to spice them up.

Er, in what way do you think axial tilt has any effect on getting into orbit? None that I know of, at least around Kerbin. It affects getting into interplanetary orbits, but nothing before that. Are you perhaps thinking that zero-inclination orbits would end up effectively being inclined by the amount of tilt? Not so. Orbit inclination is with respect to the planet's axis of rotation, regardless of how much tilt that might involve.

The absolute most important change required of KSP2 is to have the planet sizes realistic; i.e. about 6 times the size of the kerbal system planets in KSP.  As much as I loved KSP, the “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” approach to planet size was always a major turn off.  In fact, I was only able to play the game with resizing mods that corrected this atrocious decision.  For a game that’s based around realism, to make what is supposed to be a Sol analogue an analogue for Mini-Me instead is self-defeating.

Please….. don’t make the same oversight with KSP2

Otherwise, looks great!

1 hour ago, SirLazenby said:

The absolute most important change required of KSP2 is to have the planet sizes realistic; i.e. about 6 times the size of the kerbal system planets in KSP.  As much as I loved KSP, the “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” approach to planet size was always a major turn off.  In fact, I was only able to play the game with resizing mods that corrected this atrocious decision.  For a game that’s based around realism, to make what is supposed to be a Sol analogue an analogue for Mini-Me instead is self-defeating.

Please….. don’t make the same oversight with KSP2

Otherwise, looks great!

They are building in KSP scale. So I'm afraid you won't get your realistic planet sizes, but hey, that's what mods are for. 

And they made the planets small to make it enjoyable. Do you really want to sit there and launch for 20 minutes just to reach orbit then spend days rendezvousing with your space station? 

We might get super-earths on the Kerbin scale though, so you might semi-get what you want. 

On 9/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, rmaine said:

Er, in what way do you think axial tilt has any effect on getting into orbit? None that I know of, at least around Kerbin. It affects getting into interplanetary orbits, but nothing before that. Are you perhaps thinking that zero-inclination orbits would end up effectively being inclined by the amount of tilt? Not so. Orbit inclination is with respect to the planet's axis of rotation, regardless of how much tilt that might involve.

It really depends on how it'd be implemented.

They could:

1. Tilt Kerbin, but leave the orbits of the Mun and Minmus the same relative to Kerbin's ecliptic plane, or
  2. they could also rotate the Mun's and Minmus' planes to keep them the same relative to Kerbin.

I was more thinking about the first one, but you're right in that the second option would only affect interplanetary transfers. In either case, I think the way Kerbin's set up now is good, and makes the game accessible enough from a learning standpoint.

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

They are building in KSP scale. So I'm afraid you won't get your realistic planet sizes, but hey, that's what mods are for. 

And they made the planets small to make it enjoyable. Do you really want to sit there and launch for 20 minutes just to reach orbit then spend days rendezvousing with your space station? 

We might get super-earths on the Kerbin scale though, so you might semi-get what you want. 

I literally play that way now with 700 part ships!! 8p

2 hour trip to orbit!

Some random (mostly minor) changes I would like to see in KSP2:

• Save files sorted on elapsed game time instead of name.
  • Docking view that show docking port alignment.
  • Late tech tree unlock for (fully automated) docking computer.
  • Less user-hostile system for placing ailerons on wings.
  • Some form of symmetry divergence tool, being able to highlight parts that are unsymmetrical along user-definable axis.
  • Not having the editor reset symmetry settings when it doesn't make sense.
  • Same control schema both in VAB and SPH, where possible.
  • Part list where all vehicle parts can be viewed and selected (to avoid embedded parts that can't be selected, etc.)

Since I've been pretty negative about a lot of proposed features for KSP2, I thought I might as well list a few here that I would be delighted to see -- even if I think they shouldn't be core priorities.

• Stock KIS/KAS. I love the possibility to upgrade and modify craft in the field. It also makes engineers genuinely relevant. Things like hoses, links, and cables make base designs a lot more flexible too -- instead of having monolithic bases we can have modular ones; we even have more options to transport and deploy them, e.g. transporting them flat and pulling them upright with a tow cable
  • Stock kOS, except more newbie/non-programmer/user-friendly. The KAL-1000 already showed what even very simple "animation style" programming can do; a simple-to-use Turing complete programming language would greatly expand gameplay possibilities. 
  • Stock robotics, Breaking Ground style. Star Theory said this won't make it in on release, but I really hope it'll be an early expansion. The robo parts really expand the possibilities for making craft, and would synergise beautifully with stock kOS.
  • FAR style aerodynamics. Stock aero gets the job done but not more than that: it's massively counterintuitive in some places and makes some things that should work, not work -- for example it's not possible to make your own fairings out of structural tubes and decouplers. FAR style aerodynamics wouldn't make things any harder, in fact it would make things easier in some ways as realistic aerodynamics are, for the most part, more intuitive. 
  • Autopilot later in the tech tree. However they deal with colony resupply, I expect that some rote milk runs will be needed. Late game the focus shifts away from flying individual missions and to maintaining infrastructure. At some point a lot of mission stuff just becomes routine and then tedious; having autopilot available at that point for launches, landings, nav, and docking would greatly mitigate that, ideally so that you could easily automate entire routine missions. However this really must not be too early in the tech tree or it will ruin the early and mid-game.