Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

On 10/1/2019 at 5:57 AM, Brikoleur said:

Stock KIS/KAS.

I hope a stock version of this would give you an in-game VAB interface. Require me to have X engineers in the area if you must, but don't make me use them to build ships. it's a UI nightmare.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:57 AM, Brikoleur said:

Stock kOS, except more newbie/non-programmer/user-friendly. The KAL-1000 already showed what even very simple "animation style" programming can do; a simple-to-use Turing complete programming language would greatly expand gameplay possibilities.

I can't see this happening but I'd like it as well.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, infinite_monkey said:

No more need for Kerbal Joint Reinforcements please!!! Trailer didn't look too good in that regard...

I've never needed KJR so I guess that's already in there ;)

16 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I would like an landing rig out at sea for replicating those SpaceX missions where the booster doesn't have enough Dv to return to launch site. 

They said there will be a dock for launching boats. You could make your own! You could even build a base out there if what they're saying about base building is correct.

10 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

They said there will be a dock for launching boats. You could make your own! You could even build a base out there if what they're saying about base building is correct.

Wait! What?! Where did this come from? I didn't hear anything about a dock!

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Wait! What?! Where did this come from? I didn't hear anything about a dock!

It was in one of the videos that came out right after PAX. Sadly I don't recall if someone said they heard it, or if it was from one of the developers themselves.

I'm here to drop a super specific wish that I doubt anyone else has posted, but I only checked the first three pages so far so let me know if I'm wrong. 

I would like to be able to toggle the VAB/SPH to "Night Mode" and see how my stuff looks in the dark.  I sometimes put the floodlights on things and I'd like to see how effective it is without launching and timewarping. 

Or maybe it's already in KSP and I'm just ignorant.  In which case, please cure my ignorance! 

I’m gonna be making a youtube video on this topic soon but easily my biggest hope is the level of parody of development between the platforms

squad treated PS4 and Xbox 1 players like second class citizens by not putting as much love and development into ksp for consoles as they did pc. Heck we only just a few months ago got the makings history dlc and by the time breaking ground comes out ksp2 will be out 

so my biggest hope is that ksp2 has equal opportunity for all platforms. However I have fear we won’t get that due to the fact that pc gets the game first before console and there is no telling how late after the pc release console will get it

edit: here’s the video 

Edited by War Eagle 1

One thing I'd like to see is integrated scaling on a grand/controlled level.

1. parts with sanity, you can only make an engine smaller if you've unlocked the next level in that engine's family.  An I can only shrink the 30 once I've unlocked the 45 kind of deal.  You can only reduce the size of electronic components when you're two level up - logical miniaturization.

2. The grand part is planets and orbits.   A set of sliders in difficulty to change the size of planets and/or their orbits so I can take it all the way to a one-to-one ratio with Earth or larger if desired.  Auto-adjust atmo and planetary features to fit.

3. The same option with Kerbal ship parts.  If I can bump the world to our size I'd like to be able to do the same with rockets/planes.  I think for that particular option Kerbals and buildings should follow to keep it all relatively the same, tiny Kerbals and buildings with full sized rockets would be a little odd looking.

My other item would be a reduced need for KJR or it's future offspring, the rocket in the demo didn't look large enough to be that noodley.  How do I build a ginormous colony ship if tat little thing is going to fly apart a few hundred meters into flight?

On 10/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, War Eagle 1 said:

squad treated PS4 and Xbox 1 players like second class citizens by not putting as much love and development into ksp for consoles as they did pc. Heck we only just a few months ago got the makings history dlc and by the time breaking ground comes out ksp2 will be out 

Why does everyone nark on Squad for the timeliness of KSP on consoles? It's not their fault. They out-sourced it to console developers. Blame those guys, not Squad. Squad has no hand whatsoever in the console version. 

On 10/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, War Eagle 1 said:

so my biggest hope is that ksp2 has equal opportunity for all platforms. However I have fear we won’t get that due to the fact that pc gets the game first before console and there is no telling how late after the pc release console will get it

It takes time to port a game to console, and there's a month long to several month long process after they've optimized it of getting it through Sony's and Microsoft's validation process. If they don't like anything, they send it back and tell them to fix it or change it. 

Parody of Development

See above reply. 

More Customization

Totally agree with more customization. Always a good thing. We've already gotten confirmation on the ability to paint rockets and swap kerbal's hair, but more is better in this case, though, we still don't know even a percentage of the game, so we'll have to wait and see what they already have. Though, I doubt they'll have full RGB control for the painting of rockets. And I doubt it's free hand paint and more like sticker painting... I hope not though. 

More visual niceties

They've said the Kerbals are more expressive. They'll flail arms and even pass out, possibly even barf. We also got confirmation that they will scream and freak out. 

Weather, seasons and solar events

Weather - I think they said they wouldn't put weather into the game other than clouds. Though, I wouldn't be against weather, as long as its optional of course.
Seasons - Comes with weather, so sure.
Solar events - You want a mass solar ejection? What are you mad?! … Mmm, don't know how I feel about this. 

Care for kerbals

I'm on the no life support ban wagon, so yeah, no life support, but if it's optional it's not a problem, obviously. 

Increased data and info

Agreed, the 1.7 addition of the orbit read out/maneuver node menu was nice. That should be added in KSP 2.

Cross platform multiplayer

I think the PC should be left out. Xbox and PS4 should have it, yes, but PC should be in there, in my opinion. If the PC was added into the trifecta, a PC joining a Xbox server would be bogged down by said Xbox, since the server might be local. If there's official servers, arlight fine, go ahead, but if it's local servers only? No, PC should not be included in the cross-play. 

More places to visit

DLC solar systems would definitely be nice. Though, planet modders will probably go crazy with the new moddability that Star Theory might just pluck the more popular ones up and go, "Hey, can we make your mod official?"

Alien Life Forms

This is semi-confirmed with Nate Thompsons answer of alien life. He said, "Get out there and explore."

Longevity

Star Theory has stated they want this, they want their game to last ten years+

On a separate note, I would like the cheat menu to get stock hyper edit. I want to be able to set my craft on another planet without having to fly there and plant a VAB

I also would like to set any height. If I have a plane, I want to be able to drop it into a planet at 20Km so I can instantly have it flying. 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, GoldForest said:

On a separate note, I would like the cheat menu to get stock hyper edit.

The hyper edit functionality could perhaps be added as an in-game simulator, accessible from the VAB. Milestones and missions etc. could then of course only be completed outside of the sim.

But I agree, I'm currently trying to get an Eve return mission completed and would say hyper edit is more or less required to keep one's sanity. Having to do full missions for all of those iterations...

1 minute ago, Zarkov2 said:

The hyper edit functionality could perhaps be added as an in-game simulator, accessible from the VAB. Milestones and missions etc. could then of course only be completed outside of the sim.

But I agree, I'm currently trying to get an Eve return mission completed and would say hyper edit is more or less required to keep one's sanity. Having to do full missions for all of those iterations...

I don't mean as an in-game simulator, I mean as in you have access to it for the game. Sandbox mode only, of course, but still, I would like a way to land a craft at Eve and test it out for possibly a career or progression mode mission. Lots of people use Sandbox to test craft files, and you can send a craft to eve, but it has to be in orbit. 

I'd really love to see career mode "expanded", giving a reason to go to other planets other than for achievement purposes. Make it possible to create new vabs/launch platforms and maybe make it so that certain planets have materials that are needed for end level rocketry.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, GoldForest said:

On a separate note, I would like the cheat menu to get stock hyper edit. I want to be able to set my craft on another planet without having to fly there and plant a VAB

I also would like to set any height. If I have a plane, I want to be able to drop it into a planet at 20Km so I can instantly have it flying. 

Actual you can do all this with the mission editor in KSP - the only thing whats here a little bit long-winded is to copy paste the craft file from Mission to savegame and back...

More effects, Chatterer and Ship Effects add a lot to the ambiance of the game and I'd like to see that become stock.  We've also heard Saturn's rings singing and the sounds of Mars, these seem like valid additions to an outstanding game.  Singing rings may get really irritating if constant ubt the general concept remains sound.

Stock Final Frontier, those little medals for the Kerbals when they accomplish something are an addition with a surprising level of impact.  I was very proud of Lamdry when he received his medal as the first Kerbal to walk on Eve, unfortunately do to a subsequent katastrophe during his team's departure it was awarded at his memorial service.